Jump to content
pcbrook

Palm Wax Discontinued at Peak

Recommended Posts

I was thinking about ordering some feather palm from Peak while they had their 50% off shipping sale going on and when I clicked on the link I got an error page.  So I called them and was told they have discontinued all the palm waxes.  I am not sure why but I find that interesting.  Makes me wonder why.  Not sure what to think about that.  I know there is a lot of bad press about palm in general.  Even though, I still have cusotmers that love it and want it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting. I was just going to start testing with a palm pillar wax for tarts. I currently use NG Pillar of Bliss, and I was thinking of trying palm to move to something a little more natural. I know I've read about the issues with sustainability and deforestation, but I've also read a lot of good things about making the switch to palm. I wonder what their reasoning was to discontinue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fillmore stopped carrying it as well. CS stopped awhile back 

ago as too. I think NG carries 

it though ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few suppliers but they are getting slim!  BCN still has palm wax too but they don't have feather palm in stock lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen it at NG and Aztec. It's definitely concerning that the suppliers a dwindling. It's like I *need* to order it in order to save it. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Peak's sale I too went to order 4786 and did not see it listed.  When I contacted them I was told they are not carrying it anymore since it was not a big seller for them.  I will now order this wax from C&S.  Candlewic carries palm wax for containers and pillars and feathering as well.

http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c19&title=Palm-Wax-Products-including-Palm-Candle-Wax

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about Candlewic.  I used to order from ions ago before BCN started offering cheaper shipping through SpeedDee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that the "bad press" regarding palm oil should not be taken as any type of slander against it -- palm plantations are destroying much of the planet with the monocultures and although there is "sustainable" these are still areas which have destroyed rain forests, left baby orangutans orphaned, wiping out orchids and other botanicals, destroying bird & insect habitats, caused horrendous peat fires, bringing many species of plants and animals to extinction -- so how "natural" is the use of palm oil?  I've got to say, I do not agree, not at all.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 31, 2016 at 10:54 AM, birdcharm said:

I have to say that the "bad press" regarding palm oil should not be taken as any type of slander against it -- palm plantations are destroying much of the planet with the monocultures and although there is "sustainable" these are still areas which have destroyed rain forests, left baby orangutans orphaned, wiping out orchids and other botanicals, destroying bird & insect habitats, caused horrendous peat fires, bringing many species of plants and animals to extinction -- so how "natural" is the use of palm oil?  I've got to say, I do not agree, not at all.

 

 

 I think any of us can find valid arguments against any and all wax sources, if that was our agenda. However, that's not my agenda and I'm not going to argue for or against any of them.

 

The fact of the matter is, every single wax comes with its own pros and cons as it relates to the farming, extraction, and/or manufacturing process to get it to a wax state for use in candles. There is no perfect wax that comes with zero arguments against it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lana, it is true that all waxes have pros and cons -- we can't get away from that, it's just a part of the substances.  If our soy wax was known to not be GMO, it would be considered to be more earth-friendly.  However, beeswax, coconut wax, are both pretty friendly to the planet and I'd personally like to start doing more of both of those.  As for an "agenda" -- the topic came up and I answered with my opinion, which some may not like, but the question was asked as to why some companies are no longer offering palm wax, and the clear-cutting of rain forests happens to be an issue for many people who would prefer to not support those activities.  Most likely, some candle supply companies feel a similar way and have decided to take part in a global movement to discourage the use of palm oil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2017 at 0:15 PM, TallTayl said:

Palm wax fell victim to the well-funded and powerful soy wax marketing & lobby.

 

 

I have read about that as well.  Sometimes it is hard to know what believe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 2, 2017 at 10:51 AM, birdcharm said:

Lana, it is true that all waxes have pros and cons -- we can't get away from that, it's just a part of the substances.  If our soy wax was known to not be GMO, it would be considered to be more earth-friendly.  However, beeswax, coconut wax, are both pretty friendly to the planet and I'd personally like to start doing more of both of those.  As for an "agenda" -- the topic came up and I answered with my opinion, which some may not like, but the question was asked as to why some companies are no longer offering palm wax, and the clear-cutting of rain forests happens to be an issue for many people who would prefer to not support those activities.  Most likely, some candle supply companies feel a similar way and have decided to take part in a global movement to discourage the use of palm oil.

 

Ok. But what about child labor to get the coconuts and the declining bee populations? There is no "perfect" wax. I'm not even saying I disagree with you, I'm just saying there are problems that can be found with any wax. (Or really raw material...it just depends on how much you want to dig for information and what your agenda is)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CandleMaker Store carries feather and glass glow palm wax. I do not know about shipping cost, I always pick up from there. I have always wanted to try palm wax, maybe someday soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mcgee said:

The CandleMaker Store carries feather and glass glow palm wax. I do not know about shipping cost, I always pick up from there. I have always wanted to try palm wax, maybe someday soon.

 

Good to know! I have to start testing with it for my melts. I use coconut wax for my candles and a parasoy for my melts. But, I'm hoping to move away from the paraffin and I don't care for 100% soy.

 

I like using a harder pillar wax for melts and people seem to have good feedback on melts made with palm. So that will be the next thing I try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2017 at 4:20 PM, pcbrook said:

I have read about that as well.  Sometimes it is hard to know what believe.  

 

He who has the money rules.   The cotton lobby decimated hemp farmers back in the 30s.   My great-grandfather was very successful up until that point.   As a crop, it requires half the space to acquire equal yields as cotton...and as a small child, I remember him talking about discovering it had been banned, cutting down the crop, and the impact on his family that year.

 

Based upon that anecdote and research, the soy lobby sounds very probable.  

 

That said, wax is a secondary market to the food industry.  I'll be interested to see how regulation changes are going to impact the products we use and the burn characteristics of the new formulations.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes me sad.....Peak is where I always got my palm except for one time a couple of years back, when they were out of stock and I ordered somewhere else.

 

I can't remember now who it was that I ordered from, but it was inferior in quality, I was really disappointed. It barely crystallized, and I always heat my jars and insulate them with palm :(

 

Guess I have no choice but to try another supplier for it, but it is definitely a disappointment, I loved Peak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2016 at 11:54 AM, birdcharm said:

I have to say that the "bad press" regarding palm oil should not be taken as any type of slander against it -- palm plantations are destroying much of the planet with the monocultures and although there is "sustainable" these are still areas which have destroyed rain forests, left baby orangutans orphaned, wiping out orchids and other botanicals, destroying bird & insect habitats, caused horrendous peat fires, bringing many species of plants and animals to extinction -- so how "natural" is the use of palm oil?  I've got to say, I do not agree, not at all.

 

A bit late to the conversation but...    You may want to check out this article...  http://www.mpoc.org.my/upload/Tree_of_Life.pdf  With organizations set up with the MPOC such as their own conservation fund that works with WWF - there's A LOT of good information supporting how the palm oil industry.   In Malaysia, the palm oil plantations have to uphold more than 15 laws in regarding the environment and sustainable practices.  Also the plantations are creating rain forests, providing funds for research and wildlife conservation efforts, and so much more.  Not every place is perfect but don't believe everything you hear - when it comes to negative attacks on the palm oil industry, as there are two sides to every story.  And if one side is very slanted and cannot provide facts, figures, sited sources, etc. then you should wonder what is the real truth behind it all.  Just saying...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×