Neem oil

Candybee

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I did a search and found I had asked this same question about 3 yrs ago. Will be trying out some neem oil this spring. But I am finding such a wide range of usage % I will have to play around with it.

Those who use it do you blend with other EOs and if so why?

Edited by Candybee

Neem will be part of your oils in your recipe. It's not like an essential oil. My bars were specifically made for acne. I used Tea tree essential oil, Dead Sea mud and activated charcoal in them also. With Neem only at 3% of my oils I didn't get any nasty smell from it. And I only used 3oz of tea tree oil for a 10lb batch of soap.  Anyway, here is my recipe. ? 

image.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/6/2017 at 1:43 PM, KrazeKelly said:

Neem will be part of your oils in your recipe. It's not like an essential oil. My bars were specifically made for acne. I used Tea tree essential oil, Dead Sea mud and activated charcoal in them also. With Neem only at 3% of my oils I didn't get any nasty smell from it. And I only used 3oz of tea tree oil for a 10lb batch of soap.  Anyway, here is my recipe. ? 

I'm just look'n at the numbers here Kelly... How'd it turn out as soaps go? It looks like a soft low, low, lather bar. I'm just wondering, as I see the note for PKO up there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I'm just look'n at the numbers here Kelly... How'd it turn out as soaps go? It looks like a soft low, low, lather bar. I'm just wondering, as I see the note for PKO up there. 

It turned out great!! It is not soft and lather is great for facial cleansing. I do use Sodium Lactate in all my soaps. It really does help harden them up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

I have psoriasis and a very sensitive face & make a neem bar for myself with 25% neem, avocado, olive oil, PKO & mango butter that's wonderful.  It actually got rid of the rosacea I had on my face! 

I would love to attempt to make this for my grandson who has eczema. Is your recipe top secret lol ! if so, I understand :) Did you add essential oils ?

I noticed theres no coconut oil in there. From what Ive researched many have CO allergies along with shea so babassu oil is a good substitute for CO ???

Ive also read that if you have latex sensitivity or allergy you might also have a reaction to shea ??? Wonder why that is ? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I would love to attempt to make this for my grandson who has eczema. Is your recipe top secret lol ! if so, I understand :) Did you add essential oils ?

I noticed theres no coconut oil in there. From what Ive researched many have CO allergies along with shea so babassu oil is a good substitute for CO ???

Ive also read that if you have latex sensitivity or allergy you might also have a reaction to shea ??? Wonder why that is ? 

Give me a few days to dig out my recipe and I'll post it for you.  Absolutely not a top secret LOL!!  :)  As far as coconut oil, I personally always found it very drying, so usually use PKO or babassu oil with no problems.  My son can't use any soap with shea butter as it makes him break out terribly and he's 33, but mango is a nice replacement.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ChrisR said:

Give me a few days to dig out my recipe and I'll post it for you.  Absolutely not a top secret LOL!!  :)  As far as coconut oil, I personally always found it very drying, so usually use PKO or babassu oil with no problems.  My son can't use any soap with shea butter as it makes him break out terribly and he's 33, but mango is a nice replacement.

Oh, thank you so much Chris. I would just love to make this and try it on my grandson, he's 7 and super cute, if I say so myself lol ! :) 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 2:10 PM, ChrisR said:

I have psoriasis and a very sensitive face & make a neem bar for myself with 25% neem, avocado, olive oil, PKO & mango butter that's wonderful.  It actually got rid of the rosacea I had on my face! 

What soap properties does neem add to the bar? I'm talking about properties like hardness, conditioning, cleansing, etc? Trying to figure out how using a larger % (like your 25%) of neem in the recipe will effect the soap itself. Like does it effect lather, is the soap softer, harder, bubblier, creamier, etc?

Also, I would love to see your recipe if you don't mind sharing. I am still working on my own recipe for a neem oil soap to help with sensitive skin, acne, rosacea, psoriasis, etc. I have also been researching additives that will work with the soap and not be affected by the lye in the finished soap.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

OK here's the recipe I use:  Olive - 17.5%                              For my 59 oz. batch:   Olive - 10 oz.

Avocado - 15.8%                                                            Avocado - 9 oz.

Neem - 25.4%                                                                 Neem - 15 oz.

PKO - 16.9%                                                                  PKO - 10 oz.

Babassu - 16.9%                                                            Babassu - 10 oz.

Mango Butter - 8.5%                                                      Mango Butter - 5 oz.

Lye Discount at 6%                                                        Water - 13.19 oz.

Lye - 8.19 oz.

Candy this is a pretty hard bar, moisturizing & lathers great after a 2 month cure.  The higher amount of neem has helped my psoriasis a great deal and leaves my skin softer.  It totally keeps my rosacea gone and my face nice and soft.  I played with lower amounts of neem, but for me & my skin the higher amount works much better.  The neem does have an earthy scent to it, but IMO it's not that strong.  I occasionally will add some patchouli EO, but usually I leave it unscented.  Have fun!! 

Edited by ChrisR
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ChrisR said:

OK here's the recipe I use:  Olive - 17.5%                              For my 59 oz. batch:   Olive - 10 oz.

Avocado - 15.8%                                                            Avocado - 9 oz.

Neem - 25.4%                                                                 Neem - 15 oz.

PKO - 16.9%                                                                  PKO - 10 oz.

Babassu - 16.9%                                                            Babassu - 10 oz.

Mango Butter - 8.5%                                                      Mango Butter - 5 oz.

Lye Discount at 6%                                                        Water - 13.19 oz.

Lye - 8.19 oz.

Candy this is a pretty hard bar, moisturizing & lathers great after a 2 month cure.  The higher amount of neem has helped my psoriasis a great deal and leaves my skin softer.  It totally keeps my rosacea gone and my face nice and soft.  I played with lower amounts of neem, but for me & my skin the higher amount works much better.  The neem does have an earthy scent to it, but IMO it's not that strong.  I occasionally will add some patchouli EO, but usually I leave it unscented.  Have fun!! 

Thank you Chris, that's so nice 

of you to share this. Do you find that there's a difference in neem

oil from different suppliers ? 

If one wants to adjust the amount 

was this recipe superfatted ? 

Your great results sound promising for my grandson !

thanks again :) 

• Like 1

I'm learning so much about neem oil, something I honestly knew nothing about it and I'd like to say thank you Chris and Kelly for the recipes and Candybee for bringing up the subjectl!  The recipes sound great.  I also have sensitive skin and not exactly rosacea but redness so I would imagine the recipe would be helpful.  Mango butter sounds luxurious and I love earthly scents so right up my alley. :)

• Like 2