Apricot Wax Usage

Omegacandles

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone has used Apricot wax for their candles and  what kind of result they have had? 

Pros: Great adhesion, excellent hot/cold throw.

Cons: 200 degree melt point, caving or sink holes when drying.

I love this wax, I believe it has selling benefits like the coconut wax does. Would love to hear from some of you. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

With non-mainstream waxes it takes a lot to "sell it" to new markets. How much are you willing to put into marketing it so people even are willing to try it? It's a gamble. 

on the other hand, Soy, though I don't love it, sells itself in my market because of all the marketing by the soy wax producers. 

• Like 1

Apricot wax is actually being used by a lot of high end candle makers in the market. As for marketing it, it actually is quite easy considering it burns 80% cleaner then soy. We have a marketing program that allows us to deal directly with customers in a pretty unique way.

I've seen some posts about 3 years old talking about Apricot wax but nothing lately. It is an amazing wax, just can't figure out how to pour it without it tunneling near the wick. I've poured at 200 degrees, 180, 160, 140, 130.... All created the same problem.

• Like 1

It's fine if you promote, and market it, but if you are the only one doing so, the manufactures won't continue to supply it unless there is a very high demand for the wax. Meaning pallets of sales on a weekly, if not daily basis. You are the only person I've ever heard talking of it here or elsewhere. That doesn't mean you are the only one doing so, however, if you are the only person I've heard of it from, in the many forums, facebook groups, and other social media outlets, I just don't think the demand for supply is going to be able to sustain itself well enough for the manufacturers to continue to make/supply it. No matter how great a product is, there has to be a demand for there to be a supply. 

That's all we are trying to say. 

What I meant was/ is....  How hard do you want to have to work to try to convince YOUR customers to try something that is inherently an unknown to THEM? Being on a cutting edge is a lot of work.

Buyers like the comfort of a known variable. Even with all the 'warts' about soy performance the industry has spent millions upon millions on their message that soy wax is the best, most healthy, etc. Whether or not it is true, consumers by and large believe the message and buy without much hesitation. Makes selling soy candles pretty easy for us. When they Google for Apricot Wax, what will they read? Will it be as convincing as other waxes? 

The High End sellers you have identified have chosen their markets and work to sell to those particular customer through their branding and product placement. Their marketing plan to YOUR customers may or may not work. I know nothing about you or your business, so I have no idea your marketing or branding. Just explaining my perspective.

• Like 1

Appreciate all of the concerns about the type of wax, we have some assurances in place with our vendor. And if worse comes to worse we will move to a coconut wax. That said I own a company that does fundraising directly with schools so we move our candles, 200-1000 at a time, in great quantity. Also a reason to use a wax that is not soy and able to be purchased in every drug store, big box store, etc.

So back to the wax, anyone worked with this or coconut wax? I know they both have high melt points, probably the same issues.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2016 at 5:49 PM, Omegacandles said:

So back to the wax, anyone worked with this or coconut wax? I know they both have high melt points, probably the same issues.

I haven't yet worked with either wax, but I'm also very interested in hearing more about it from anyone who has. I bought a candle a few months ago and the reason why I bought it (besides loving how it smelled) is because the label said that it was made with "100% apricot wax, blended with coconut and soy". As someone who has always burned (and makes) soy candles, I was intrigued. It was probably the best candle I've ever burned, and the scent throw was awesome!

So from both a consumer and maker standpoint, I want to learn more. In my neck of the woods, soy candle makers are a dime a dozen - customers are informed, and will seek out and will buy candles/products that are perceived to be non-toxic, sustainable, etc. - so I'd love to blend apricot and/or coconut wax into my 464 soy wax as not only a brand differentiator, but also because I think it will result in a better quality product.

Omegacandles - have you tried blending apricot wax with soy wax?

• Like 4

Are you on the West coast ? Thats where I believe both suppliers of those 2 waxes are. 2-3 years ago I was going to order and try them out but decided against it 

when I sent them an email asking a few basic questions and got NO response. I didn't like that so I didn't order . Between super high shipping on heavy wax and

then blowing me off- i said forget it.  I guess if you really have your mind set on those waxes then Id just continue trying as your doing and see how it goes. 

Voluspa candles uses a combo of those waxes but they're also a huge company with endless resources and lots of people that test for them I'm sure. I for one

don't have endless resources. Its hard enough for me trying to figure out soy lol ! Sorry I can't be of more help. 

• Like 1

I haven't tried that one yet, but I do like accu-blend's products.  I used several of theirs some years ago.  My only complaint was they discontinued the wax I liked the best and I don't remember the exact blend it was.  I was afraid to keep testing their products at the time for fear another I liked would be discontinued.  Now that they have been around for a decent amount of years I may look into their waxes again.  They were pretty local for me to do pick up, they used to be in Whittier or Baldwin Park I can't recall which it was. And they had a little store at the time.

On 12/14/2016 at 3:49 PM, Omegacandles said:

The coconut wax has a congeal point of 126 degrees.   I've asked for the product data sheet for the apricot multiple times, and it's not available.   That in and of itself is a little disconcerting.  Recommended max FO load is 8% on both.

The coconut arrived very, very soft with somewhat significant melting on a 102* day...so summer may be a challenge, even in non-desert areas.   The apricot was marginally better.   In a 75* home, neither ever felt quite solid.   They're both softer than J50 prior to reformulation by IGI, if anyone remembers that wax from back in the day.  

Even at 7%, I've had issues with FO pooling.   Their suggestion is to add soy to it.  That impacts burn characteristics significantly.

....and as far as being clean burning, that's dependent upon your FO, jar size, wicking, colorant, etc.   Any candle may soot.  Period.  Almost equally important is how the consumer burns it.   If they don't perform proper burn hygiene, it's going to soot and not burn cleanly either.

Edited by KrisS
I R grammEr
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Since there'd been a few questions about the apricot wax, I poured a couple of candles to share with the group.     Attached is the Accu-Blend apricot.   No adders.   1 oz Coconut Cream Pie FO ppd of wax.   It was stirred significantly longer than usual because it's a heavier vanilla based fragrance, and I'm aware that FO is "challenging"  (pain in the...) to fully incorporate.  

It was poured on 01/21/17, so I was ready for a burn test.    Last weekend, there was no FO pooling on the candle surface.   This weekend, I have puddles.   I'm uncertain how well it conveys via picture, but the shiny oily looking surface is FO.    I was hopeful last weekend that the extended stir time had alleviated the pooling.  

FWIW, it's not my methodology...or if it is, others have the same fatal flaw.  I had been considering this wax awhile.  I purchased an apricot candle from another chandler--I was fairly certain it was this wax, and she later confirmed my assumption was correct.   Her candle arrived at my house...with pooling.   Temps were warm at the time, so I gave it a pass, blotted off the excess, and burned it.   I ended up with a robust tiki torch.   

If you plan to use this wax, please, please, please test extensively.   I can't emphasize this enough.    The supplier recommends 8% max fragrance load.   I used less than that.  The other chandler used less than that.  We both had pooling.    This isn't a wax you can just melt, add FO, and sell.   If you plan to use this wax, you'll need to create a custom blend of your own using it.

I hesitated posting this because Accu-Blend is a great company.   They have good products.   Their customer service and sales group is great.   I just don't want to see someone rush the testing and sell product without realizing that added tweaks will be needed to make this wax work.

Accublend Apricot.jpg

• Like 9

On 2/5/2017 at 8:15 AM, KrisS said:

I hesitated posting this because Accu-Blend is a great company.   They have good products.   Their customer service and sales group is great.   I just don't want to see someone rush the testing and sell product without realizing that added tweaks will be needed to make this wax work.

Thanks for posting all this great info.  I really don't see the point of purchasing a wax that you need to tweak that much so I'm going to pass on the apricot blend but I may revisit some of their other blends.  Not sure they still have the Olive Oil blend but if my memory serves correctly I liked that one and would probably start there.

BTW all the spec sheets and MSDS are on the website to download in Adobe.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2017 at 8:00 AM, kandlekrazy said:

BTW all the spec sheets and MSDS are on the website to download in Adobe.

The spec sheet has been online several months.   The MSDS is a dead link--it goes nowhere.   As of a couple of months ago, the MSDS was being updated and wasn't available.   I haven't followed up with their office more recently to see if it is available yet.

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2016 at 10:33 AM, Omegacandles said:

Apricot wax is actually being used by a lot of high end candle makers in the market. As for marketing it, it actually is quite easy considering it burns 80% cleaner then soy. We have a marketing program that allows us to deal directly with customers in a pretty unique way.

I've seen some posts about 3 years old talking about Apricot wax but nothing lately. It is an amazing wax, just can't figure out how to pour it without it tunneling near the wick. I've poured at 200 degrees, 180, 160, 140, 130.... All created the same problem.

I've been testing the Accu-blend Apricot, and I love it, but going to be testing a bunch of different wicks for it. I heat to 200 add fragrance (10%) and pour. I've never had any pooling of fragrance. If you get tunneling near the wick, just hit with your heat gun and it will fix it.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2017 at 10:09 PM, KrisS said:

The coconut wax has a congeal point of 126 degrees.   I've asked for the product data sheet for the apricot multiple times, and it's not available.   That in and of itself is a little disconcerting.  Recommended max FO load is 8% on both.

The coconut arrived very, very soft with somewhat significant melting on a 102* day...so summer may be a challenge, even in non-desert areas.   The apricot was marginally better.   In a 75* home, neither ever felt quite solid.   They're both softer than J50 prior to reformulation by IGI, if anyone remembers that wax from back in the day.  

Even at 7%, I've had issues with FO pooling.   Their suggestion is to add soy to it.  That impacts burn characteristics significantly.

....and as far as being clean burning, that's dependent upon your FO, jar size, wicking, colorant, etc.   Any candle may soot.  Period.  Almost equally important is how the consumer burns it.   If they don't perform proper burn hygiene, it's going to soot and not burn cleanly either.

I have both Accu-blend waxes: the COCONUT and the APRICOT.. I've been using the COCONUT  for 5 years and I don't have issues with pooling at all. 10% fragrance load, heated to 200, add fragrance and pour immediately.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2017 at 5:18 AM, PINKT said:

I have both Accu-blend waxes: the COCONUT and the APRICOT.. I've been using the COCONUT  for 5 years and I don't have issues with pooling at all. 10% fragrance load, heated to 200, add fragrance and pour immediately.

Agreed on the coconut.   Zero issues.   :) 

• 3 months later...

I use Accu Blends APRICOT WAX and I absolutely love it!!!!  I use their coconut wax as well and they are both easy to work with. If you do some research, you'll see that Apricot Wax is becoming much more popular now.. My customers love it too!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PINKT said:

I use Accu Blends APRICOT WAX and I absolutely love it!!!!  I use their coconut wax as well and they are both easy to work with. If you do some research, you'll see that Apricot Wax is becoming much more popular now.. My customers love it too!

@PINKT are you using the apricot wax straight, or blended?  If you had to choose one of these two waxes, which would you choose?

@ComfortandJoy and @so-soy  from what Ive read on Accu Blends site their apricot wax is a blend of apricot and other veggie waxes. Apricot wax on its own is 

very soft and Im sure thats why its blended. Plus that company is way out in CA so shipping would be insane to me in MI. Another turn off to me was lack of 

customer service. I sent them an email asking a few simple questions + never heard back. This was my experience others may have had a better experience.

Candlewic has a apricot/coconut wax blend too as do a few other companies. There used to be a shop on Etsy that makes candles and they use to use coconut

wax and I now see she has switched over to soy. BTW the shop is super cute + makes a great candle. So many great candle sellers on there. Some of the best candles

I ever purchased on Etsy were beeswax + coconut oil blends ( awesome candles) and soy + palm wax blend. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2017 at 4:30 PM, PINKT said:

The apricot wax that is sold there is not 100% apricot, its blended with other waxes. Apricot wax on its own would be way too soft . Glad it works well for you though :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I use both the Coconut and Apricot waxes and haven't experienced pooling or tunneling near the wick. I use my own essential oil blends with these waxes and haven't had a problem.  I have not tried fragrance oils with them though.

I've not been able to find a 100% coconut or apricot blend and have been told it's because it would be too soft to work with.