Wax and Wick Test 1 - C3 Soy Wax

TallTayl

The first wax/wick test I am tackling is C3 soy wax.

Methodology:

I used the Wick Chart from www.WickIt.net for the beginning sizes I know from experience some of these will be far too small for the intended containers, but pretending to be new, this was a good starting point. The goal is to wick for a 3" diameter container. We will work on the 8 oz tin and 3" wide status jar commonly found at local dollar stores. if this test process works well, we'll likely add in an 8 oz mason and/or other popular jars, but we figured this would be a fair enough start.

WickIt.Net Chart:

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html

Wicks Used:

I chose from the collection of wicks I presently have. A few popular wicks may have been missed and can be added to the testing data in the next iteration.

WICK IT  The Right Wicks For All Your Candle Needs! - Mozilla Firefox 1282016 100039 PM.jpg

WICK IT  The Right Wicks For All Your Candle Needs! - Mozilla Firefox 1282016 100307 PM.jpg

Tray 1:

tray1.jpg

CD12

CDN12

CSN12

CD14

CDN14

WI740

Tray 2:

WICK IT  The Right Wicks For All Your Candle Needs! - Mozilla Firefox 1282016 100343 PM.jpgWICK IT  The Right Wicks For All Your Candle Needs! - Mozilla Firefox 1282016 100417 PM.jpgWICK IT  The Right Wicks For All Your Candle Needs! - Mozilla Firefox 1282016 100535 PM.jpgWICK IT  The Right Wicks For All Your Candle Needs! - Mozilla Firefox 1282016 100636 PM.jpgWooden Candle Wicks ONLY AUTHORIZED LICENSED DISTRIBUTOR - Mozilla Firefox 1282016 100823 PM.jpg

Tray2.jpg

LX14

ECO6

44-24-18Z

#2/0 square braid high MP wax primed

HTP73

Hemp1400 (Used the chart from Bittercreek to choose size)

1/2" non crackle wood wick (sizing chart from WoodWick.com where the wicks were purchased.

These have been curing for about a week. Ambient Temp approx 60*F.

Tomorrow I will light for the first 3 hour timed burn and photograph again.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Hot FLAME'N Cookie SHEETS! Lookit'm GO!!!! 

I see you had a wood wick in there... Did I convince you to start smash'n popsicle sticks @TallTayl

ha! noooooo. these are from the woodwick candle company. I have two sets from bittercreek on the way to compare in the next burn.

since so many of the wicks suggested for the size fell short, I plan to re-do this pan test with the higher sizes before heading to the tins & jars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I'm lost here as I don't understand what type of a test this is?  Are you showing how far out a meltpool will go on a 3 hour burn using c3 wax?

Trappeur

You know how when you first start with a wax and the wick suggestion charts you really don't know what you are in for? I took the generally recommended wick sizes for each brand of wick and saw how they perform in C3 wax. You can see that about 80% of those recommendations are severely too small. Some burn so poorly I'd never consider taking them any further for my own use in that wax. 

After this preliminary round of burns satisfies my curiosity, I may run another in the same pans with bigger sizes to dial in those to try in tins and status jars, showing how they burn differently in different containers. Hoping to demonstrate a methodology for testing that people can adopt for their own home chandling.

• Like 2