Diffuser Pendants and Ornaments

TallTayl

Waiting patiently for the kiln to cool to see what surprises are in store. Every kiln opening day is like Christmas! started making bisque fired pendants a couple of years ago because I just love the look and earthy feel so much.

I work with white stoneware ceramic clay, which stays porous when bisque fired. a little spritz of perfume or a few drops of fragrance/essential oil gets absorbed by the pendant and slowly diffuses out. The one I made for myself in spring still smells wonderfully of sweet Amber. The cord on this is a simple suede tied in slide knots to allow for adjusting short as a choker to long as a pendant. 

IMG_0647.JPG

Got an order for 100 custom logo pendants from Etched Magazine as holiday client gifts. I figured why not make some tree ornaments, car fresheners, and retail package gifts too? The kiln has a LOT of space to fill

Here's what I am waiting on:

bottom layer-underglaze colored tree ornaments. Will probably just string on pretty ribbon to hand from tree branches,

IMG_0644.JPG

Middle layer- some of the logo pendants. Made extra just in case.

IMG_0645.JPG

Top layer, more iron oxide stained tree ornaments and package gifts.

IMG_0646.JPG

there's a lot of wasted space in the kiln as these could have been stacked in piles to fire, but I have not made enough other work to fill the space this week.... 

i have enough time time to make another load or two before Christmas. Hoping I make time to do them since T and I would love to decorate our tree with totally handmade ornaments this year intermingled with the nostalgic pieces collected over the year.

• Like 8

OMG you are amazing ! The first pic with the suede, can you tell me a little more about how that works as far as using essential oils. Not sure if you sell these

individually and cost. I might need some  for the many people that help support my son. With his disability, he has so many people that are involved with him

such as his para pro - teacher - supports coordinator etc. I try to keep it simple but just can't afford to include all of them. Im so impressed - wow, these would 

make great Christmas presents ! Great job :) 

• Like 1

I used a suede cord, but you can use many other jewelry cords at places like JoAnn, Michaels and hobby lobby.

The pendant is porous like terracotta but more durable. You just put a drop or three of your favorite oil onto the front (or back) of the pendant and let it soak in for a minute. Then wear like any other necklace. your body heat helps warm the oils to diffuse into the air around you. You can use your favorite perfume too. The material holds the scent in for weeks (or in my case months!)

here is the video I the knot technique learned from:

• Like 2

Love them!  You are so talented lady.  So far I made a dozen and they came out pretty good.  I need to get my rear in gear after the new year and get some made for EO.  I bought everything but the little oven to bake them, hoping Santa brings me that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Love them!  You are so talented lady.  So far I made a dozen and they came out pretty good.  I need to get my rear in gear after the new year and get some made for EO.  I bought everything but the little oven to bake them, hoping Santa brings me that.

Which clay are you using? You'll need a kiln that can reach the bisque temp for that particular clay :) 

Photographed them as I pulled from the warm kiln last night, and they look about exactly the same, lol. Not going to bore with pics that looks nearly identical to the first. 

A couple hundred of these are heading out the door today to new homes. hoping some make it into pics in the magazine. That will be a thrill. Have to hurry and make another kiln load by the weekend. started training Teagan (12 yo) to help make them. Right now they are still fun for her. Hoping she still thinks so in about a week :D or she will demand a pay raise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Which clay are you using? You'll need a kiln that can reach the bisque temp for that particular clay :) 

I bought a clay that you can bake at 200 in your oven or get the little electric oven made for clay.  I don't want to invest in a kiln at this point.  Maybe if I sell like 1000 pendants :o