Vanilla Stabilizer for CP Soap

bugtussle

I think I'm convinced now that it depends on environment as much as anything else. My Pink Sugar, Vanilla Silk and another vanilla I used (3 separate soaps) never got as dark as the top pic even after a year. They finally started discoloring around the outside corners and tops, but only turned a medium tan color. I ended up using the soap at that point, so don't have any left to take pics. 

I'm wondering if humidity makes the browning speed up even with stabilizer? If it ever gets up to 25% here we all think we're going to die by drowning. LOL It's typically right around 11% or less here. 

I use 100% VS to Fragrance so if I use 1 1/2 ounce Fragrance I use 1 1/2 ounce VS I read that on BCN site long ago. The trick is to add the Vanilla stabilizer to the oils before adding the fragrance. The two don't mix together.

52 minutes ago, Barbara AL said:

I use 100% VS to Fragrance so if I use 1 1/2 ounce Fragrance I use 1 1/2 ounce VS I read that on BCN site long ago. The trick is to add the Vanilla stabilizer to the oils before adding the fragrance. The two don't mix together.

Dang Barbara-- those are beautiful!!

Interesting you said to add the VS to your oils. I never had anyone tell me this before. But that is exactly how I've been doing it.. that is adding to my oils before add my fragrance. Its just that I typically only need about half strength. I have also used 3/4 strength or 75% VS to my FO for tougher ones with known vanillans in them.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0748.JPGIMG_0749.JPGMuch better second round. Oven hot processed the single bars and noticed much less discoloration. They all gelled, which I usually do not do, but didn't want those to fail from being too cold and not sapping. 

Used a bit less than equal amounts of stabilizer to fragrance, mixed directly into the raw soap prior to adding the fragrances. 

• Like 1

Looks like its working out okay for you TT. What fragrance was that you tested on?

I'm making my goat milk & honey soaps next week and thinking about using VS in them. I typically don't with my gm soaps. Since I don't color them anyway i don't care that they go dark brown or tannish. If I try it with those will post how they did.

Those were my dupes of  Pink Sugar, Egyptian Dragon, dragons blood and sweet amber. I expect some darkening, but they look great so far. I'll be making pink sugar next and will use the VS to see how it does in a full batch. Am hopeful it will look amazing.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK. I'm wrapping some Pink Sugar, vanilla mint, black cherry, and lavender vanilla with the vanilla stabilizer and have to say for the record i am NOT a fan. While the color is lovely, it really messed with the fragrance. The fragrances are no longer rich and complex. They smell kind of plasticy gross. Too bad I jumped in with both feet and now have 120+ bars of complete junk. I'll embrace the brown TYVM.

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

OK. I'm wrapping some Pink Sugar, vanilla mint, black cherry, and lavender vanilla with the vanilla stabilizer and have to say for the record i am NOT a fan. While the color is lovely, it really messed with the fragrance. The fragrances are no longer rich and complex. They smell kind of plasticy gross. Too bad I jumped in with both feet and now have 120+ bars of complete junk. I'll embrace the brown TYVM.

That's so strange. My fully cured non VS bars vs my VS bars smell exactly the same to me. If I were blindfolded I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless I touched them. My VS bars are a little 'gritty' for lack of a better word.... 

(tap-tap-tap-is this thing eveSQEEEEEEEEEEEE-DAMN DUDE that was my EAR...) 
Can you hear me? Ok. Hi. Um My name is Sponie, and I uh need some clarification on WHICH clif I'm supposed to go throw myself off of, 'cause we're a little short on them in Florida... If you could just let me know, that'd be greeeeeeeaaaat. Yeah. ) 

I JUST (as in opened the box and haven't even gotten the bag open yet ) GOT 2 POUNDS of BCN VS in the mail... "PLASTICY GROSS"!? o.O I can't win for lose'n... 

That cliff info would be great... Maybe a Google Earth with driving directions too... 

Sponiebr: @Barbara AL You were RIGHT Barbara... I just sniffed it. I've found my replacement nose hair trimming tool. No more BIC lighters for me! Nope! I''ve got VS now!

• Like 1

It makes me really wonder what it is in that bottle.

JC there is no denying when you smell mine side-by-side there is a plasticy chemical smell. The fragrance is very different also. I don't feel the grittiness yet but I'll be sure to get complaints from my wholesale customers if there is grit.

Sponge give it a try. You might not notice any difference. 

• Like 1

That's not good.  I have tried several VS and noticed a different smell.  Was going to give this one a shot but now I'm hesitant.   I hate wasting soaps and would hate to have it change what my customer really like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

I told you it was back sorry you burn them nose hairs off!! :o

Let me know when you get ready to use it.

The only two fragrances I use mine in is Pink Sugar and Vanilla Sandalwood.

Well, I just used it... I mean it's gonna be AT LEAST a month before the hair grows back... But, OK! Next time I go to chemically remove my unwanted fugly fuzzies I'll give you the heads up! Y'know...When I was overseas my flat was extremely small and the only good mirror we had was in the hall. My 3 year old daughter used actually pull up a chair to watch me shave with a straight razor... The whole time she would sit there sucking in air over clenched teeth and going " oi.. oi... OI..OH! EEEEEEEEEEE.... (hiss)"

good times... good times... 

-Sponiebr

I've been using the Pink Sugar from EBB. Since I ran out of the Flickers I had for so long I went with the supplier that carries Flickers Pink Sugar. I don't smell any plastic type smell or feel any grittiness with it. But then I just started using Pink Sugar just to test the VS out. Anyway, my customers love the Pink Sugar soaps and it has become one of my regulars because of its popularity.

I did have some problems with discoloration in the Sandalwood Rose FO. The soaps came out a light tan with the VS. But after curing they have reddish corners. So I am going to just go back to not using VS for that soap and let it go naturally cocoa brown. Also, seems the discoloring batch with the VS the scent seemed to fade? or something.. not the same as without it.

Sooooo... I am guessing the VS doesn't work for all FOs. But so far I have only had problems with the one FO. So I will continue to use it as I have mostly success with it.

Edited by Candybee