Duct tape on shoes / Mod Podge over them?

Darbla

I'm working on altering some shoes, and I want to layer duct tape over them and then I need something to smooth over crevices and cracks at the edges of the duct tape layers and try to get a smoother outside so I can then paint over that.  Would Mod Podge work as a smoothing top layer or is there something better? 

Edited by Darbla

On 11/21/2016 at 7:18 AM, Darbla said:

I'm working on altering some shoes, and I want to layer duct tape over them and then I need something to smooth over crevices and cracks at the edges of the duct tape layers and try to get a smoother outside so I can then paint over that.  Would Mod Podge work as a smoothing top layer or is there something better? 

Um... Are you going to wear these shoes? I think Mod Podge is just PVA (elmer's glue). What kind of painting are you going to do are you painting designs for fashion or are you just trying to cover the duct tape? I dunno... I personally would use a PVC rubber like Spray on Plasti Dip. Walmart carries the brush on type and the spray on type. I also comes in varrious colors. I'm not too sure how plasti dip would handle paint, and you would REALLY need to air the things out to get all of that solvent out of the shoes before wearing them... Kind of an expensive endeavor TBH. 

HTH, YMWV! 

Sponie

Funny you mention that, because I bought white Plasti Dip and the gold metallizer version yesterday.  :)

I had already been investigating that, and I'm probably going to duct tape, then white Plasti Dip, then gesso over that for primer, and I'm experimenting with the red Plasti Dip and metallizer and then some kind of thin black overlay to make it look weathered and used.  Or red and gold metallic fabric paint for the final layer.  Pic attached of what I'm recreating.

WW-boots-6.jpg

• Like 1

You might be able to get away with using some mica's for the metallic look... Like a ruby red mica and a little opal to increase luster? Personally I would probably skip the duct tape and go straight to chip board and paper mache. You  can use hot glue to run lines and other features.

Looking at that picture, I would guess fiber glass and polyester resin. (That's also a REALLY good option. (Bondo...) 

Needs to be flexible so I can walk in these.  Plasti Dip is flexible and not as bulky as what I was originally trying.  The duct tape is to protect the shoe that's underneath and fill in an open toe and decorative perforations (this was the closest shoe I could find that had the right shape otherwise), and all that Plasti Dip can be rolled right off it later. 

I originally tried making an overlay from Worbla but it's bulky and cartoonish looking.  And I'm struggling with how to attach that to the base shoe.  Now I'm trying the duct tape / Plasti Dip idea if I can get the colors in the end to look good (metallic red and gold).  I'm supposed to be in a parade as Wonder Woman on December 2 so I've got to figure this out asap.  I think Worbla will work for the armor on shins / calves, but it's not working out great on the shoes.

I like the mica idea; I have gold mica but can red mica be bought at craft stores like Hobby Lobby?  I'm open to other ideas!