Mad Scientist

NavyVet

So, my wife and I got our first shipment from CS on Tuesday. I immediately started unpacking like a kid on Christmas morning. It was so exciting. I made a Frankincense & Myrrh yesterday and love the smell that filled the house. A few hours ago my wife showed me how much of a mad scientist she really is. She started rummaging through the fragrance bottle like an old witch about to whip up some old forgotten brew. Here is what she came up with. Chocolate fudge, coconut, buttered rum & pecan pie. My house now smell like a bakery. She has created a German chocolate cake candle. I can not wait to see what else she comes up with.

Of course, I, being the voice of reason (haha, that's a good one) say, "Sweetie, we should really stick to single fragrances since we are just starting." I don't think she is going to listen. I will keep you all posted on her next brew and how the German chocolate turns out after curing and burn testing.

Edited by NavyVet
  • Like 3

Your post made me chuckle, I feel like a mad scientist at times also!

If you worry about using up your oils on potential mix disasters then try the q-tip test. This saved me so much money because I only had to wet the q-tips instead of using up larger volumes of expensive oils in blends that didn't work out. Tell your wife if she has an idea for a blend to dip a q-tip in each of the oils in the projected blend, I don't know what proportions she blended the oils for the German Chocolate Cake, let's say it was 1:1:1:1 of the four oils. Use one q-tip for each of the four oils and put them in a jar with the lid on. Open the jar later after the fo's have had a chance to blend, if the mix isn't right to your nose then add an extra q-tip dipped in the scent that doesn't seem strong enough. For example, if you can't smell the coconut add another q-tip of coconut. Now your blend is 2:1:1:1. Keep adding q-tips with oils until it smells the way you want it to and then blend the oils in those proportions in a larger bottle.

My most complicated experiment was trying to duplicate a Starbucks holiday drink, I think it was a pumpkin vanilla latte or something similar, the coffee over powered everything else so it took many additions of pumpkin, vanilla, etc. until I had it right.

Good luck blending, it's a lot of fun!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NavyVet said:

Chocolate fudge, coconut, buttered rum & pecan pie. My house now smell like a bakery. She has created a German chocolate cake candle. I can not wait to see what else she comes up with.

I read this and thought, "Damn... That's almost my vape juice..."  

• Like 1

Trust me, she is not going to listen to me any time soon. I have confidence that she will make some amazing mixes. 

4 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I read this and thought, "Damn... That's almost my vape juice..."  

What a great smell that must be! I would be hungry all the time.

Wow thanks for the q tip test mzpickles ! I love to blend & yes ended up with some stinky scents. On the other hand ,I have invented some good ones. I love to blend Lemon + Magnolia & Pink sugar+ Lavender , also like Brownie + Coconut ,call this one Almond Joy ,just to name a few :)

Keep on blending ,you will come up with some amazing results ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katmeltswax said:

I love to blend Lemon + Magnolia & Pink sugar+ Lavender , 

Keep on blending ,you will come up with some amazing results ...

Intrigued ... doesn't the floral drown out the citrus and particularly the magnolia? I always think of it as a heady floral. While I'm not fond of lemon I'm curious about a blood orange or even a bit of lime. Might have to find some magnolia and see how this develops out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:38 PM, Scented said:

It would make sense if they were separates, but would still wonder about the lemon to magnolia ratio, just because I know magnolia to be heady. 

The lemon & magnolia actually are perfect together. I have found that TCS Pink lemonade works best for this blend. Trust me this is a beautiful scent combo. I smell both the lemon & the Magnolia. The cold throw alone will fill a entire average room. I actually made this one by mistake lol. I had my Magnolia in my pour cup to measure & spilled some of the pink lemonade ,left the lid off. I started smelling both scents from the spill & thought WOW! This smells amazing ,the scents were lingering all thru the room. I did a 50-50 blend & this created a wonderful long lasting scent. The Pink sugar + Lavender is a nice one to. It gives a whole new twist on just plain lavender. I love blending scents to see what unique scents I can create. It is also a great way to use up some oils :) I hope you try this & let me know how you like it. I will be testing Blackberry & Magnolia next, sounds good to me, Kat

• Like 1

I trust you! You intrigued me with the combo :)

TCS is that becoming The Candle Source? When I get on the good side of the partner, I'll sneak it in and give them a go! Same with the lavender combo!

I bet blackberry and Mag will be terrific! However I only have a grapefruit blackberry I think. I will have to dig around on the shelves to see what's there. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2016 at 3:05 AM, katmeltswax said:

The lemon & magnolia actually are perfect together. I have found that TCS Pink lemonade works best for this blend. Trust me this is a beautiful scent combo. I smell both the lemon & the Magnolia. The cold throw alone will fill a entire average room. I actually made this one by mistake lol. I had my Magnolia in my pour cup to measure & spilled some of the pink lemonade ,left the lid off. I started smelling both scents from the spill & thought WOW! This smells amazing ,the scents were lingering all thru the room. I did a 50-50 blend & this created a wonderful long lasting scent. The Pink sugar + Lavender is a nice one to. It gives a whole new twist on just plain lavender. I love blending scents to see what unique scents I can create. It is also a great way to use up some oils :) I hope you try this & let me know how you like it. I will be testing Blackberry & Magnolia next, sounds good to me, Kat

IS TCS The Candle Source or Tennessee Candle ? I know Just Scent has a Lemon Magnolia as well that Ive heard good reviews but never ordered it.

I just did a post on WSP Pink lemonade vs their Raspberry Lemonade - hope someone will chime in :) Ive never smelled Magnolia - is it super floral 

I don't know what magnolia smells like lol ! 

Scented ,TCS is Candlesource:) I think the grapefruit & blackberry could work as well ,give it a try .Let me know  how it turns out. I love blending oils & see what I come up with on blending random oils. The combinations are endless & most of the time it just works. Definitely do get on the good side of Candlesource  lol...Great oils & low prices. I love a lot of their oils & find most are super strong. I love their Clothesline ,very strong & the best I have found ,so strong. I have Blackberry sage & Magnolia blending right now ,so will let you know how this blend turns out. I am a huge Bath& Body Works fan & they blend anything & everything together to come up with their amazing products ,so why not blend 2 or 3 together & come up with some great scents ourselves LOL :)

The combos are truly endless .I love Aztecs Magnolia & never tried any other companies. I have a stack of oils blending right now & waiting for testing :)

Give your blend a try ,sounds wonderful!

Moonstar, IMO Magnolia is a super strong sharp floral. The lemon softens it a bit & turns it into something really unique. I love the Peach Mag Raspberry fragrance & now love my Lemon Mag just as much. The combo works very well together. I have never tried WSP Lemonade .I do have & love a lot of WSP oils & consider most must haves. TCS I am referring to is Candlesource . I love their Pink Lemonade ,it is super strong in my wax. I use a lot of TCS oils for wax melts. They have some very strong oils & low priced. I think you would love TCS Pink Lemonade. TCS Clothesline is another super strong fragrance ,best I have ever found in this scent. I will add WSP Jelly donut is AWSOME ,it captures every note down to the strawberry filling ,so yummy. I love their Vanilla bean Noel & Maple Pecan Streusel as well. I have their Cream cheese frosting ,Pistachio macaroon & about 10 more waiting to get into the wax. Back on subject ,I find that lemonade blends very well with most any scent & use it a lot with bakery scents as well. I am working on a Lemon Sugar Cookie & Lemon Birthday Cake ,both just sounded so yummy .I also have a blend of Blackberry sage & Magnolia waiting to test. I use Aztecs Magnolia & just love it with the lemonade, gives it a unique twist. I hope you had a wonderful holiday season ,Kat

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/3/2017 at 0:36 PM, katmeltswax said:

Moonstar, IMO Magnolia is a super strong sharp floral. The lemon softens it a bit & turns it into something really unique. I love the Peach Mag Raspberry fragrance & now love my Lemon Mag just as much. The combo works very well together. I have never tried WSP Lemonade .I do have & love a lot of WSP oils & consider most must haves. TCS I am referring to is Candlesource . I love their Pink Lemonade ,it is super strong in my wax. I use a lot of TCS oils for wax melts. They have some very strong oils & low priced. I think you would love TCS Pink Lemonade. TCS Clothesline is another super strong fragrance ,best I have ever found in this scent. I will add WSP Jelly donut is AWSOME ,it captures every note down to the strawberry filling ,so yummy. I love their Vanilla bean Noel & Maple Pecan Streusel as well. I have their Cream cheese frosting ,Pistachio macaroon & about 10 more waiting to get into the wax. Back on subject ,I find that lemonade blends very well with most any scent & use it a lot with bakery scents as well. I am working on a Lemon Sugar Cookie & Lemon Birthday Cake ,both just sounded so yummy .I also have a blend of Blackberry sage & Magnolia waiting to test. I use Aztecs Magnolia & just love it with the lemonade, gives it a unique twist. I hope you had a wonderful holiday season ,Kat

I don't know how I missed this. I have Pink Lemonade from WSP. Im not sure what I was expecting but it just seemed ok. Maybe Ill try the one from Candlessource 

next time. Pineapple Cilantro from WSP is awesome ! The grapefruit FO is good but not as tart/bright as I was hoping for. The cotton candy is quite good though.

How did your lemon sugar cookie + lemon birthday turn out ? I have lemon curd + KY Birthday Cake from RE ,what do you suggest ratio wise for the Bday cake ?

Your really good at blending :)

• 4 weeks later...

Moonstar, Sorry for the delayed response. I have not been on here in a long while ,due to grandkids & summer break  It has been a long hot one ,here in South Tx . I would try a 50-50 blend on your Lemon curd & Birthday cake . I am just finishing my list for RE big event sale .I do have lemon curd on my list , have heard good things about this scent. I use B day cake from Aztec ,best I have found thus far .I think I will try the one from RE as well. I ended up doing a blend of Aztecs Fruity pebbles + Aztec Birthday cake ,turned out smelling wonderful. I actually love this blend 50-50 . I have missed so many post & was trying to get some great suggestions on RE ,never ordered from this co before.I am looking for fall & Christmas scents. I hope you have found some great scents to blend with success. I will start more blends soon ,grand children have kept me so busy this summer, loved every moment of it thou :) The last flora blend I made was successful. TCS Sun washed Linen (so strong) & TCS True rose ,amazing blend .I mixed .8 SW Linen +.4 True rose . This comes out to 1.2 oz. Trust me this will scent 2 pounds of wax ,both are super strong scents. I still have not decided on a name ,just have the blend finished & tested out beautifully. This one is great for customers that love STRONG floral scents . I do apologize for the delayed response ,Kat

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 0:36 PM, katmeltswax said:

You were so right about Jelly Donut from WSP. I just can't get over how realistic it is - spot on ! Maple Pecan Strudel - yum ! I already use VBN - Delish 

I have more I ordered but haven't put in wax yet. Angel Food Cake is yummy but on the lighter side. Christmas Wreath is phenominal and so is the

apple balsam . Cotton Candy is surprisingly strong + smells so good. Sweet juicy pear is good but has a bit of spice. I prefer Peaks Bartlet Pear or 

Bramble Berry has a good pear too. Green Apple - good - Choc Devils food cake awesome CT from Im never crazy about the way choc smells 

burning. I might try the one from Indianna. Abalone + Sea ... not a fan :( even though it has lots of great reviews.Thanks again for recomending

the jelly donut :)