BEST WAX FOR LONG LASTING TARTS

katmeltswax

I am wanting opinions on wax for making tarts.... Looking for long lasting melts. I am testing a new soy blend from Aztec, still curing....I use 3 different paraffin waxes at this time. I would like to get some feedback on your wax for tarts & duration of the melts. Thank you for any suggestions. I have many waxes on hand & willing to blend.

You'll get a whole lot of different opinions on this one. I honestly believe that much of it depends on the fragrance itself and not so much on the wax. Although, I have had people in the wax community say that paraffin throws better than soy but then again I think a lot of it depends on the fragrance. I've used soy melts from people that I've received in a  swap or as a gift that had incredible, long lasting throw.  I've also melted some that I thought were duds and then would give the same tart to several friends to melt and they'd tell me how strong it was and how it lasted for a couple of days. Noses are so subjective. I might be able to smell a scent for two days or think it's lost it's scent and then someone else will comment about how good it smells when I'm thinking it doesn't smell anymore LOL! 

• Like 1

Im leaning with Belinda on this one. Having said that, please take in consideration that Belinda has more experience than I in this department. I honestly

can't  tell when I make different blends of waxes of which ones lasts longer etc. In my experience its FO itself and the users nose. Many people I know 

on a personal level want their wax melts to fill a cathedral or 2 and last 3-5 days. I guess they are used to Scentsy + the Better Homes + Garden from

Walmart?? So one day I picked a few up from Walmart since are so cheap ($2) I swear I think psychology thats another reason they swear by them lol !

anyhow the one pack I melted was WAY too strong + actually gave me a headache and it was a lemon sugar cookie - it was very good. Good but too 

strong IMO + more of a sour lemon than cookie .The 2 I bought had the same sour note to them - maybe its a fixative of sort IDK ??? Sorry I wish I 

could be of more help. Im sure someone on here will chime in with better advise. 

19 minutes ago, Belinda said:

You'll get a whole lot of different opinions on this one. I honestly believe that much of it depends on the fragrance itself and not so much on the wax. Although, I have had people in the wax community say that paraffin throws better than soy but then again I think a lot of it depends on the fragrance. I've used soy melts from people that I've received in a  swap or as a gift that had incredible, long lasting throw.  I've also melted some that I thought were duds and then would give the same tart to several friends to melt and they'd tell me how strong it was and how it lasted for a couple of days. Noses are so subjective. I might be able to smell a scent for two days or think it's lost it's scent and then someone else will comment about how good it smells when I'm thinking it doesn't smell anymore LOL! 

Same here lol ! Just posted my 2 cents worth - for whatever thats worth lol ! Break started today TG !!! Now I can hardly wait for Christmas break - Its a lot of work

getting my son ready in the morning lol -  I need a me vacation lol right about Friday lol  ! 

• Like 1

Start a spreadsheet and keep good notes as you test. I absolutely did find differences wax blend to wax blend. I even noted differences in percentages of the same waxes blended. I utilized very experienced waxies as testers. Finding your ideal wax blend and committing to it is a wonderful feeling. I love not having to think about that as an element! Now I know for certain if a fragrance oil is a winner or not and I can instantly tell if the waxes I use have changed in any way.

All the best to you as you undergo your testing! It takes time and diligence but it will be worth the effort.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a similar soy wax and has worked well. If you are coloring your wax I have found some cloudy appearance in my soy blend tart wax, I don't like it. Throw was great, each cube I used lasted well over an hour, my melter is your generic, $15 melter you find at Walmart. Keep us posted on what works for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never noticed much of a difference from soy to soy wax in melts (except GB waxes which I never had luck with).  Palm wax, however does seem to have a stronger throw.  It never was enough to make me want to change to all palm melts but I have mixed palm & soy in melts especially for summer shipping.  Palm alone does not take the same % of all fo's.  Some will seep out of palm if I use 6% like I do in soy or a blend.   I do love that you pour palm as soon as the fo is mixed in so in that respect its faster, just way more testing for fo%, I don't recall a scent that didn't throw in palm but my scents already tested for a good throw in soy.

Warmers definitely make a difference.  Tea light warmers burn the scent off fast if the wick is close to the cup (ie the coffee cup warmers need to be kept trimmed really low).  Tea lights can alter the scent to somewhat burnt smell.   My large bowl ceramic light bulb warmers do not put off the scent like my clear glass electric warmers do or the mason jar electric with metal cups because the glass and metal gets hotter. 

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1