What causes this?

ThisLittleLightOfMine

20161112_132021.jpg

It doesn't happen to all of them but sometimes I get these white ish (unsightly) spots on my wax melts... does anyone know what they are and what I'm doing that causes this?20161112_132032.jpg

The top one in this picture is out of the same pour but has no spots?? Thank you so much in advance for any and all help/advice so I can correct this issue!

Well a few things could, but my guess is going to be temperature so how's the temperature? It looks like where wax has pulled away from the mold, but all of it didn't quite do it. 

How's your ambient temperature? 

Do you remember the temp of your pour? 
What about the temp of the molds, were they kept somewhere cool? 

Ok so I use a combo of IGI 4625 and IGI 4627. I poured the first layer at around 175-180 and the second layer about 185-190. And MLG what is PoB? Maybe it is that I was pouring too hot but before I was having a problem with the 1st and second pour separating. And I pour in my basement which is cooler that the rest of my house. But I'm confused as to why the first layer doesn't seem to create these spots? And yes the clam shells were not preheated as they are plastic? I hope this helps with a solution?

PoB is Pillar of Bliss from Natures Garden.   I do use 4625 and 4786 for individual tarts. When I make double layers, I always pour my first layer hotter than my second.  One thing I've tried - and been successful at - is pouring my second layer when my first layer is sturdy, but not totally solid yet. If I pour it cooler, it is hot enough to stick to the first layer, but not hot enough to melt through it.  I do feel your pain though.  I absolutely HATE white spots. I won't hardly sell one that way.  

1 hour ago, MLG said:

PoB is Pillar of Bliss from Natures Garden.   I do use 4625 and 4786 for individual tarts. When I make double layers, I always pour my first layer hotter than my second.  One thing I've tried - and been successful at - is pouring my second layer when my first layer is sturdy, but not totally solid yet. If I pour it cooler, it is hot enough to stick to the first layer, but not hot enough to melt through it.  I do feel your pain though.  I absolutely HATE white spots. I won't hardly sell one that way.  

So when pouring your second layer when the first one is not totally hard you pour at a lower temperature?

Honestly, I never tried to fix it.  If you try and take a heat gun to it, you'll melt the plastic pretty quick.  Fortunately, it only happened on four or five clamshells so I was able to quickly figure out I was trying to hurry the process.  When I decided to slow down a bit, the problem corrected itself.  I did go ahead and sell those clamshells to friends (explaining why they looked the way tbey did).  Friends don't care ? lol

Edited by MLG
  • Like 1

I guess it may be a form of frosting.  However, when I pour my wax at 150 - 155 it doesn't do this.  It only acts like this when it's poured too hot and mine appeared within a day of pouring.  Since it's not soy, I'm guessing it was too hot when poured. 

Edited by MLG
  • Like 1

Kiss it and hug it and embrace it Little LIght......lol.....I'm sorry...you know I would never hurt anyones feelings.......All kidding aside, really nothing Little Light...like everyone has always said about this with wax it's just one of those things.  But I do agree, to pour cooler without a doubt. But....there is a but....it's just one of those things that sometimes and a lot of times, especially when you color your wax when the frosting appears, you just don't know when it is going to happen....it may happen and it may not....The only way to not have this happen is DON'T use color.  Everyone has their own likes and dislikes Little Light.  Years back I used to color my soy wax and frosting was a bad culprit for me.  So I decided to go "au naturelle"...and you know what?  I never looked back either....I used to sell to stores and when I would go in and check on my candles and see how they were doing, that frosting was on lots of candles......sooooo that frosting really "frosted my butt"....I never said anything to the store, but I didn't like it.  They looked nasty to me.  So I did away like I said with the colored candles.  And to this very day I have Never, not once had anyone ever question me about not having colored candles again.  Oh I take it back....Only 1 time when I was working on a new acount they asked if I made colored and I said NO and told the reason why and no problem.  I do have to say that the frosting mostly happened in cold climate for me.   I know you live out west Little Light so if you do decide to keep with the colored melts, keep in mind if you are selling and if they leave your house looking good, that does not mean they will stay that way.....cause they probably wont.  Here is my suggestion.  If you are unhappy after trial and error making these things and you can't control this problem, why not go au naturell and just put a dynamite looking label on your melts.   PRESENTATION always gets them!  I'm a big believer in that....."presentation, presentation".  And going all natural "any" label with look fantastic on it! ;)

Trappeur

• Like 1

Oh are those paraffin she used? hmmmmm.....well then, forget what I said....lol  I guess I should have read closer.  Sorry.....I don't use paraffin, so I'm pretty stupid in that area.....Hopefully someone can help then.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thank you so much to all that have spoken... it could be too rapid of a cooling as I have been pouring for awhile not and this is the worst it's been ... I work down in my basement and while I do try to heat it up while I'm down there I didn't worry about the heat when I WASN'T down there so maybe after I came upstairs it got too cold and the wax cooled too quickly and pulled away as talltayl said... back to the drawing board lol

• 5 months later...