Double Boiler

SCOFFEE

1 minute ago, SCOFFEE said:

Opinions please :)

When making melts/tarts, does it really make a difference using a double Boiler vs direct pot on the stove?? 

I've done both, not sure I can tell the difference .  Hmmm

The difference is safety. Using direct heat when melting wax, and the temp gets too high could result in the wax combusting and catching fire. 

It's always better to be safe than sorry... 

• Like 1

With paraffin wax, always best to use a double boiler.  Yet, I've wondered a similar thought in regard to soy wax -- hydrogenated soy oil -- whenever a recipe calls for "melted shortening" for instance, I've typically melted it in a pan, not on a double boiler.  It is a curious question that I've wondered about myself.  A double boiler helps to distribute the heat, so it's definitely safer, but, why do I keep seeing people saying to melt soy flakes in the microwave?  I would never think to melt wax in a microwave.

Sorry, I don't use soy, and I so often forget that a lot of chandler's do. It could very possibly be fine for soy, but since I work exclusively with paraffin, I am solely speaking to that wax. 

Someone else may be able to speak to the aspects of melting soy better than I can. 

11 minutes ago, justajesuschick said:

You could not pay me to go back to a double boiler! I used it for less than a month. Went quickly to an 8 pound Presto and then to 40 pound capacity Turkey Fryers. 

Me too!! I used the double boiler method exactly once and gave up. 

However Prestos and Fryers are not direct heat, so there is that. 

There was the risk of water (I am an accident waiting to happen on most days) and keeping temp consistent was an issue for me. So, that super nice Calphalon stainless saucepan and double boiler have sat dormant in my pantry for years. I ever decide to dip chocolates, I am SET! 

I do like it that the Presto has the element under the pot and wished that my fryers were the same. That said, the open element is right in with the wax and I have never had any issue for 3 years of consistent use. 

I know some use large stainless pots right on a stovetop. I do not trust myself with that either!