Anyone ever made doughnut tarts?

JustaMoM1

Has anyone made doughnut tarts before? I am a newbie and wanting to do this. I have bought molds that are really small, less than an ounce. I didn't want the large ones. Or should I have gotten the big ones?  They are halve molds. IDK if they are supposed to be this way?? I had ALOT of trouble putting the icing on the outside. It kept cooling way too fast UGH and getting clumpy. I am getting frustrated but I know there is a way to do this......any tips or tricks would be helpful...THANKS!!!!

I would maybe try keeping the wax a little hotter -and maybe spoon it over the wax donuts ? Not too hot though so it possibly melts the wax donuts.

If you have a wire rack place some of the wax donuts on the rack ( Id cover with wax paper or a silicone mat) how are you doing it right now ?

Hello...Thank you for your reply..I am just placing them on wax paper, flat. I tried spooning it first, then it was cooling too fast. That is where it started getting clumpy as it was hitting the wax. I just used a regular spoon. Then I warmed it up a little hotter and the doughnut started to melt. ...I just don't know what I am doing wrong to try to make the doughnut glaze.

I don't do this kind of thing.  About the most adventurous I get is chunk tarts and layers, but I do watch a lot of youtube videos...LOL.  I have no idea really, and am just theorizing here, but I would think you could pour your "icing" about 10 degrees hotter than your original pour, and just pour it over the top, following the shape of the doughnut so it would drizzle down.  The small pour pot or a measuring cup with a spout should work for the pouring part.

And if I am completely misunderstanding what you are trying to do, please disregard my post.  Good luck!

• Like 1

If you're looking to make them looked "iced," I think you may be thinking of over-dipping in a sense.

In your case, you would put hot wax in a small container and somehow hold the piece you want to dip -- let's say using chopsticks to hold them in the center hole, upside down -- dip just the top in the wax, take it out, dip it again ... this would be done several times.  I think the wire rack idea is perfect ... once you have the top covered enough, place on rack and sprinkle with wax decors (grated wax perhaps) or leave them, but I think this might work.

Hello. Thanks for the responses and ideas..i also watch lots of youtube videos. LOL..I havent found any tho with donuts just everything else. I have seen pictures of "sellers" with donuts. They are sooo perfect. If i remb right, on pinterest i believe. I am new to this so forgive me if i ask too many questions. Or say something silly. I have another question. I am used to using soy wax for everything. i recently switched to ky parasoy, thought i would try it. It is alot different than what i am used to with the soy. Can or do I need to mix it with my soy? it seems too hard for a clamshell.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 8:31 AM, JustaMoM1 said:

Hello. Thanks for the responses and ideas..i also watch lots of youtube videos. LOL..I havent found any tho with donuts just everything else. I have seen pictures of "sellers" with donuts. They are sooo perfect. If i remb right, on pinterest i believe. I am new to this so forgive me if i ask too many questions. Or say something silly. I have another question. I am used to using soy wax for everything. i recently switched to ky parasoy, thought i would try it. It is alot different than what i am used to with the soy. Can or do I need to mix it with my soy? it seems too hard for a clamshell.  

Hello,

I've used KY para/soy wax in clamshells and it did fine. You could also mix a little bit of container wax in there with it and it would have a smoother top when you pour. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2016 at 4:53 PM, JustaMoM1 said:

Hello Belinda...The para-soy doesn't have much if any of a CT. I don't like that at all, any suggestions? It also leaves waves on top of my clamshells. I am having a hard time with this. Has anyone one else had problems like this?

Yes, when I used it there were always ripples on top. If you mix a little container wax in there with it I think it would smooth out. I always had great CT from this wax. Are you mixing FO in hot enough?