464 for melts

wgregww

Guest OldGlory

I would love to sell soy wax melts, and I attempted to do so last year at a farmer's market. My customers don't like it because it isn't easily removed from the warmer when they want to change scents. I had no idea that was a *thing*, but it is!

I now sell melts that pop out of the warmer when they are cool.

When I first started making candles, I used 464, and I would pour my leftover wax in molds and use those melts in my own warmers.  It didn't take me long to figure it that even though it can be done, it isn't great.  Sometimes they pop right out of the molds, sometimes not.  They don't hold up to summer heat, which makes them not so good for shipping, craft shows, etc.  They smudge their packaging, and so on and so forth.  So, long story short, it can be done, and some people do use it, but for me, it just isn't ideal.  But I do love some 464 mixed with pillar palm for melts.

• Like 4

I stopped using 464 as well because customers selected mine from large jars, and the jars got all smudged up.  I had no problem with the tarts popping out of my silicone forms; never wondered how the customer got them out of their warmers, though.  Oops!  

Someone on this forum suggested using Ecosoya CB-Xcel and Ecosoya Pillar Blend.  So I'm trying that combination.  Jars no longer get smudged.  Clamshells are popping right out without needing any coaxing. :P  I'm going to experiment with adding 464 to one or the other or both to see if I can get a better throw.  Woke up last night in a panic thinking about how I had no hot throw from the clamshells I made using Frasier Fir.  May just try pillar palm if I can't figure this out.

Goldie

On 10/23/2016 at 11:16 AM, OldGlory said:

I would love to sell soy wax melts, and I attempted to do so last year at a farmer's market. My customers don't like it because it isn't easily removed from the warmer when they want to change scents. I had no idea that was a *thing*, but it is!

I now sell melts that pop out of the warmer when they are cool.

Are you mixing another wax with 464 for melts to get them to pop out?

Goldie

On 10/23/2016 at 4:22 PM, GoldieMN said:

I stopped using 464 as well because customers selected mine from large jars, and the jars got all smudged up.  I had no problem with the tarts popping out of my silicone forms; never wondered how the customer got them out of their warmers, though.  Oops!  

Someone on this forum suggested using Ecosoya CB-Xcel and Ecosoya Pillar Blend.  So I'm trying that combination.  Jars no longer get smudged.  Clamshells are popping right out without needing any coaxing. :P  I'm going to experiment with adding 464 to one or the other or both to see if I can get a better throw.  Woke up last night in a panic thinking about how I had no hot throw from the clamshells I made using Frasier Fir.  May just try pillar palm if I can't figure this out.

Goldie

Goldie, do you cure your melts for a certain length of time?

Trappeur

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Goldie, the melts I refer to above are a paraffin blend that I use at the market - not the melts I make for my wholesale client (which are soy).

I made 464 melts once and was disappointed in the look. They get finger prints and indentations too easily (I made paw print molds). I also did not like how I had to scrape it out of my melter. I switched to a parasoy pillar blend and never looked back. 

4 hours ago, Lana said:

I made 464 melts once and was disappointed in the look. They get finger prints and indentations too easily (I made paw print molds). I also did not like how I had to scrape it out of my melter. I switched to a parasoy pillar blend and never looked back. 

I switched to a Ecosoya PB and Xcel, but I'm getting no hot throw.  About half the people who use this wax have problems with hot throw, half don't according to remarks left by customers on websites.  Remelting those with 2/3's 464 to see if that will increase the hot throw.  If this formula works on the first try, I'll have used up all my luck for the year. ;)

Goldie

24 minutes ago, wgregww said:

When you made the Xcel and PB what was the ratio? I have found that PB gives off no throw.

If you are asking me, I was doing a 50/50 ratio but having no hot throw.  Sounds like we are in the same boat.  Right now, I'm trying 75%--464 and 25% of the 50/50 blend.  Get all that? lol  Poured a few, yesterday and was happy to find they pop out of the clamshell ok.  Now to wait for the hot throw. . .  I'm not sure why I'm using the Xcel other than it was suggested a couple years back on this forum.  I THINK it is for frosting.

Goldie

Edited by GoldieMN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Do you color your melts Goldie?

Trappeur

No.  I know it is strange to be adding Xcel if it is to control frosting (affecting color), but I started the two Ecosoyas because that combo was suggested; I didn't know why, I just followed along with the suggestion. :)

Hoping my new "recipe" has a good hot throw.  Have to wait another week and a half unless you give me permission to start melting it earlier. lol  (New recipe is 75% 464, 12.5% PB, 12.5% Xcel--just because I am remelting all my tarts and adding the 464.)

Goldie  

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Goldie,

Type in the search bar above exactly like this:   464 blended for melts

There were interesting commments I came across.

Trappeur

Ok, thanks.  I notice TallTayl mentions C3; you said you like that wax right?

TallTayl said in another post:  ". . .I know 464 made some pretty sweet melts when blended with PB. All is not totally lost.

The more I play with C3 the deeper in love with it I fall. I can really appreciate the ease after mucking around with other waxes for so long."

TallTayl, if you are reading this, are you using C3 for clamshells? :)

Goldie