Candle Lingo

So, I am slightly overwhelmed. 

Hot/Cold Throw?

OF? 8564? I have no idea what all these numbers or acronyms mean LOL Is there a lingo reference? I am a newbie. Where do I even start (besides here ;) )? is there a book that will explain all this? What kind of wax to buy? Fragrances? What wicks? Is it a waste of $$ to buy a kit? I am definitely overwhelmed with my brief excitement of making my own candles LOL 

• Like 2

A candle's throw has to do with the scent ... if or how it "throws" it off when either not lit or while burning.  Typically, numbers have to do with product codes of various waxes.  I'm new here too so I sometimes have to look up abbreviations of supplier's names, which I found in the fragrance discussion area.  Some kits, imo, can be a waste because you end up buying some things you may not really want.  To simplify, I would start with what type of candle you would like to make.  A container?  Then select a container you'd like to start with and you can then explore the various types of waxes available for that type of candle.  The diameter of the jar will play a role in what size wick to get; the type of wax will narrow down your choices of what type of wick.  And scent -- a world of possibilities, with an addictive side, as you know.  :)

• Like 2

If you ever have questions about terminology, don't hesitate to jump in and ask. Most of the "lingo" is pretty easy to understand once you've spent time on this forum. I've been at this hobby for a year and a half now, and I still sometimes Google the number of a wax or wick that I see mentioned but am not familiar with just so I can learn about it.

As far as what to start with, that's really up to you. Depends on what type of wax, candle style, etc. that you're interested in making. A lot of people start out with kits, including myself. I found one pretty inexpensively on eBay that was from Candlewic. It gave me just enough supplies to make a few candles and get my feet wet with the process...helped to get me over the initial anxiety of making that first candle. Plus it came with a pour pot which I still use. It's not a cheap hobby by any means, but just start simple and take it one wax at a time, lol. :D

I thought all of the acronyms and wax numbers were overwhelming at first too but I promise you, it'll become second nature to you once you become familiar with everything. Like the previous posts, decide which wax you want to use, soy, parasoy, or paraffin, and what kind of candle you want to make, container, etc. and go from there. Some companies sell sample size portions of wax which is great. Once you choose a wax and container then decide the scents you want to start with. It's a very addicting hobby so be warned! LOL! 

You might want to consider making melts/tarts and then go from there. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2016 at 11:25 PM, Lora said:

It's confusing to me too!  LOL  I was hoping there was a file somewhere with all the acronyms in it!  

There used to be, but I have searched for it and can't find it, so I think that was a few iterations of the board ago and it got lost in the shuffle. 

As others have said though, just continue to read, and you will get to know what everything means, and anytime you ever have a question, not matter what that question is, ask. 

We are all here to help each other. 

• Like 4

On 10/22/2016 at 1:42 PM, Smell Obsessed said:

So, I am slightly overwhelmed. 

Hot/Cold Throw?

OF? 8564? I have no idea what all these numbers or acronyms mean LOL Is there a lingo reference? I am a newbie. Where do I even start (besides here ;) )? is there a book that will explain all this? What kind of wax to buy? Fragrances? What wicks? Is it a waste of $$ to buy a kit? I am definitely overwhelmed with my brief excitement of making my own candles LOL 

OH PLEASE Smell Obsessed.....NEVER...NEVER .... get over being excited about making your own candles!! :)

Here's some help for you....http://www.candlecauldron.com/

Lots of great info from Nature's Garden also...

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/

I started out making candles with the help of Cajun Candles...they were so helpful and awesome and I asked tons of questions of them, but they offer both paraffin and soy kits. Just a suggestion here. :)

http://www.cajuncandles.com

Candle Making Kits - Paraffin & Soy Candle Making Kits

Cajun's candle making kits have been voted "Best Candle Making Kits" by you, our customers. When putting together our candle making kits we surveyed hundreds of professional candle makers and we've received valuable feedback as to what candle making supplies a beginner needs in order to learn the basics of candle making, make great candles from a candle kit, and still remain within a realistic monetary budget.

Using this information we have compiled several fantastic candle making kits, these kits are quickly becoming known as a standard necessity for the beginner candle maker. Each kit comes with complete, step-by-step candle making instructions to guide you easily through the candle making process. We offer kits for paraffin candle making as well as soy candle making kits.

Paraffin Wax - Candle Making Kits

Soy Wax - Candle Making Kits

candlekits.jpgThere are a few things about candle making that you should know, if you want to make truly fragrant candles. There are just some things you must approach with extreme care and caution. Things like specially blended candle wax, fragrance oil, and candle wicks. Our candle making kits contain all of these high quality products that you simply won't ever find in a craft store candle kit.

It is a fact that the quality of most candle making supplies and kits will vary greatly from company to company. I get emails confirming this from our customers every day. There are a few items (wax, fragrance oils, wicks, candle kits) that I recommend you never purchase from your local craft store. Here's why... you will run into the problem that the sales clerk(s) in craft stores just can't answer any technical questions regarding candle making products or even questions about their prepackaged candle making kits. Plus, their candle wax is usually a straight paraffin not exactly meant for use with candle making or candle making kits. It's not a reflection of the clerk, they're just simply not trained or knowledgable with regards to candle making supplies because they sell so many other things too. At Cajun's, all we sell is candle and soap making kits and supplies, and we're here to answer any questions you have when purchasing one of our candle making kits.

Another example is that most wicks in a craft store aren't even primed or tabbed or, if they are then you'll pay top dollar for only a few wicks in a bag, you'll also pay ell over $5 for a 1/2 oz bottle of poor quality fragrance oil that no one knows how old it is. Now, You can buy a slab of wax at just about any craft store, but try to find out what additives you'll need to make the candles you want to make, is the wax for container candles, for pillar candles, etc, just ask the clerk what the wax is recommended for, what is the melt point of the wax, ask what additives you'll need in order for the fragrance oil to bind properly with the wax to give a decent scent throw, what is the wax flash point, melt point, what temperature should the wax be melted when adding the dye and fragrance oil, etc. Is it a straight paraffin or a blended wax, if it's a blended wax what type of candle is it recommended for? If it's a straight paraffin wax what additives would you need to use to make container candles, pillar candles, votive candles? If they do offer a candle making kit can they guarantee that the fragrance included is fresh? I'm sure when you ask some of these questions you're going to see a huge blank look come across the clerks face. Thats where we come in, we have answers to all those questions...and any others that you might have, regarding our quality candle making supplies. At Cajun's Candle & Soap Supplies, all you ever have to do is ask a question. All of our candle making kits come with step by step instructions and they're delivered right to your door.

You'll notice that we also offer a section called "Money Saving Tips". Be sure to read it. It's a good section for candlemaking beginners and it lists an array of items that you may already have around your home that will help you save money when starting your new candle making hobby or purchasing your first candle making kit. There are also tips for purchasing equipment from stores that are close to you in order to save you money on shipping costs for candle kit items that you don't need to purchase off the internet or from us.

Our candle making supplies, as well as our candle making kits, have consistently been chosen the best by candle makers all over the world. Any one of our quality candle kits would be a great place to start, and best of all we're here to answer your questions.

Edited by puma52

9 hours ago, Lora said:

Thank you!  I never know if a question has been asked a million times and there are those people who really get their knickers in a knot if it's asked too many times. 

You know....no one should EVER get their knot's in a knicker.....oh I mean knickers in a knot over a question!! I mean please! :laugh2:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, puma52 said:

You know....no one should EVER get their knot's in a knicker.....oh I mean knickers in a knot over a question!! I mean please! :laugh2:

I agree with you 100%.  But I have also experienced the knickers in a knot bunch on other boards.  LOL  I'm just glad this place is not like that!  I love it here!

• Like 2

On 10/29/2016 at 0:34 AM, Lora said:

Thank you!  I never know if a question has been asked a million times and there are those people who really get their knickers in a knot if it's asked too many times. 

Then let those people wear knots ... you are here  primarily for you and your betterment of your craft as is anyone on the board, not to appease someone else by not asking a question.  ;)

This, I guess, is bad. I'd read on here ROFLMAO and I would think why don't they know how to spell Ralph? 

What maybe you might do is start a thread and we can add terminology to it and maybe someday it gets pinned ;)

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1