Tart Wax

YAMS

I decided to give tarts a try since it seems I am already making candles and tarts seem much easier than candles.  I use IGI 4627 for my candles.  Would you use this wax to make tarts also?   What wax do you recommend for tarts and melts?  I purchase my wax from Candle Science so I would prefer to stick to buying from there to save on shipping since I order a lot from them.  Thanks guys 

I've never used 4627 but I have read where some on here mix it with 4625. I mix 4630 with 4625 at a 50/50 ratio when I pour in clamshells. If I'm using molds then I use the same ratio or use a higher ratio of 4625 and I've even used 4625 alone in molds. Like bfroberts said you'll have to play around with it to get the results you want. I would think since 4627 is a softer wax than 4630 then you could mix it 50/50 or even a little higher with 4625 depending on what you're pouring them in.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I've never used 4627 but I have read where some on here mix it with 4625. I mix 4630 with 4625 at a 50/50 ratio when I pour in clamshells. If I'm using molds then I use the same ratio or use a higher ratio of 4625 and I've even used 4625 alone in molds. Like bfroberts said you'll have to play around with it to get the results you want. I would think since 4627 is a softer wax than 4630 then you could mix it 50/50 or even a little higher with 4625 depending on what you're pouring them in.

Hope that helps!

Belinda - which wax is the one where I've read many say gives a quick burst of scent but doesn't last very long ? I think you've even mentioned this 

wax before - but I can't say for certain. BTW can you believe how quick the holidays are coming . Before you know the students will be on Christmas 

break !!! Don't know about you, but Im ready for break lol ! 

• Like 1

I do *not* recommend Ecosoya PB.   I loathe this wax with a passion.    I have nothing positive to say about it.  

I have a 50lb box I'll give you for the cost of shipping if you want it--PM me your info.   I'm over it.

19 minutes ago, KrisS said:

I do *not* recommend Ecosoya PB.   I loathe this wax with a passion.    I have nothing positive to say about it.  

I have a 50lb box I'll give you for the cost of shipping if you want it--PM me your info.   I'm over it.

It's been one of those mornings.    I've tried for 15 minutes to edit the original post to clarify that I'm working with other waxes that seem to be performing significantly better, and I don't have any reasons to continue putting FO and time into a product I've grown to dislike this much.   

:lol:  So...I'm stuck with a post that looks like a rage-quit/tantrum when it wasn't...but you're still welcome to that 50 lb box if you want it.

5 hours ago, KrisS said:

I don't want to get your blood boiling, but what was the main problem with this soy? :)

Goldie

10 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I don't want to get your blood boiling, but what was the main problem with this soy? :)

Goldie

:P  No boiling blood.   I was testing yet another lackluster batch of tarts this morning and decided today was the day I'm done with it.

It's a pretty wax--frosting is mild-moderate for the tarts that I allowed to sit for six months to see what they'd do.  The HT is lackluster.   I've mixed 25/75 and 50/50 with 7 or 8 different container waxes that throw at an acceptable level as a stand alone in a candle.   For whatever reason, the PB is binding everything and won't throw.   (These are tarts for goodness sakes.)    I've tried multiple additives...pouring temps...FO add temps...fragrance loads.   I spent over a year and put over 70 FOs in this wax.  Stick a fork in it...done.  DDFD.

I have much more pleasant things to say about a couple of other waxes that I'm testing, but I want to make sure I'm good with them after the product has sat a few months.   However, I'm getting significantly better throw from one at the 3 day mark than I was with PB at the 3 week mark.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2016 at 6:32 PM, Moonstar said:

Belinda - which wax is the one where I've read many say gives a quick burst of scent but doesn't last very long ? I think you've even mentioned this 

wax before - but I can't say for certain. BTW can you believe how quick the holidays are coming . Before you know the students will be on Christmas 

break !!! Don't know about you, but Im ready for break lol ! 

I think the wax that throws quickly but fizzles out fast would be 4794, at least in my opinion and some that I've read on here. I've used it as a stand alone wax for clamshells and you don't have to mix container wax with it to get it to come out of the clamshell like you do with 4625 but it looks to me like the same wax that the melts at Walmart is 4794 too, or at least mine looked the same as theirs when I used it. It doesn't have as high a fragrance load as 4625 and some of the other tart waxes, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem to last as long. Some get good results with it though, but I prefer 4625. I really like The Candle Source's tart wax. It has great cold and hot throw and it comes in pellet form and you don't have to mix anything with it to get it to come out of the clamshell, but the shipping is horrendous for me! And I only like it alone in clamshells. If I use it for shaped tarts I like to put some 4625 in there with it because it gets ripples in it like KY's wax does. 

Oh yes, I am so excited about getting out for Christmas Break! This is my favorite time of year to be working at a school. This semester goes by a lot faster than the second one does LOL!

• Like 2

Yes, KY's gets ripples .... I thought I was doing something wrong lol ! I really wasn't crazy about Ky's. It had ripples like you said and also it melted weird

almost like it was congealing ( i know I spelled it wrong lol ) and it had a very odd smell to me, both while melting down and after a cure in a melt. 

Thanks for chiming in on that wax I was asking about - I knew you'd remember lol ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KrisS said:

:P  No boiling blood.   I was testing yet another lackluster batch of tarts this morning and decided today was the day I'm done with it.

It's a pretty wax--frosting is mild-moderate for the tarts that I allowed to sit for six months to see what they'd do.  The HT is lackluster.   I've mixed 25/75 and 50/50 with 7 or 8 different container waxes that throw at an acceptable level as a stand alone in a candle.   For whatever reason, the PB is binding everything and won't throw.   (These are tarts for goodness sakes.)    I've tried multiple additives...pouring temps...FO add temps...fragrance loads.   I spent over a year and put over 70 FOs in this wax.  Stick a fork in it...done.  DDFD.

I have much more pleasant things to say about a couple of other waxes that I'm testing, but I want to make sure I'm good with them after the product has sat a few months.   However, I'm getting significantly better throw from one at the 3 day mark than I was with PB at the 3 week mark.

Please keep us informed as to your results.  I'm going to try to use 464 with the PB and/or Xcel just because that is what I have on hand.

Goldie

On October 21, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Belinda said:

Hope that helps!

Belinda, would you say that 4625 would work for both melts made in silicone molds as well as in clams?   I would prefer to buy one wax that works for both.  Thanks darling.

7 hours ago, YAMS said:

Belinda, would you say that 4625 would work for both melts made in silicone molds as well as in clams?   I would prefer to buy one wax that works for both.  Thanks darling.

4625 is a pillar/votive  wax so you could use it in both. From my recollection its a very hard wax, as in I needed a chisel to break pieces up. What I did was 

break it up all at once in smallish ( I know its not a word lol !)  pieces + then stored that in a sealed tub. BTW I love making melts - so much

easier than candles .

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

On October 23, 2016 at 0:12 PM, KrisS said:

It's been one of those mornings.    I've tried for 15 minutes to edit the original post to clarify that I'm working with other waxes that seem to be performing significantly better, and I don't have any reasons to continue putting FO and time into a product I've grown to dislike this much.   

:lol:  So...I'm stuck with a post that looks like a rage-quit/tantrum when it wasn't...but you're still welcome to that 50 lb box if you want it.

???????? good laugh out of that one.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moonstar said:

4625 is a pillar/votive  wax so you could use it in both. From my recollection its a very hard wax, as in I needed a chisel to break pieces up. What I did was 

break it up all at once in smallish ( I know its not a word lol !)  pieces + then stored that in a sealed tub. BTW I love making melts - so much

easier than candles .

Perfect that's all the information I needed to try 4625.  I also wanted to know if I could use it in silicone molds,candy molds and tart clamshells.  Thanks everyone for your help.  You are an amazing bunch.  

• Like 2

On 10/25/2016 at 5:43 PM, YAMS said:

Perfect that's all the information I needed to try 4625.  I also wanted to know if I could use it in silicone molds,candy molds and tart clamshells.  Thanks everyone for your help.  You are an amazing bunch.  

I never could get 4625 to release from a clamshell when I used it by itself. When I mix it with a container wax like 4630 or 6006 at a 50/50 ratio it does great in clamshells. I have used it alone in silicone molds though and loved it. 

I drop mine on the bathroom floor while it's still wrapped up to break it up LOL!

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

I never could get 4625 to release from a clamshell when I used it by itself. When I mix it with a container wax like 4630 or 6006 at a 50/50 ratio it does great in clamshells. I have used it alone in silicone molds though and loved it. 

I drop mine on the bathroom floor while it's still wrapped up to break it up LOL!

Belinda

Would you say that for clamshells I should use 50/50 of 4627 (the wax I use) and the 4625 or can I use less of the 4627?? I also read that 4526 works fine alone for molds?  Also (very funny btw) how do you break it up?  I am picturing you on your knees going at it with a hammer.  Lol.   I just received 4625 but I haven't even opened the box from CS yet.  But I am super excited to start making tarts!!!   Thanks for all your helpful comments