ISO Pictures of wooden Soap Cutter

WanderlustSoaps

I still have quite a bit of wood lying around and was wondering if anyone has wooden soap cutters and if they would be willing to take some pictures for me so I can maybe get some design ideas.  Thinking of probably going with wire cutters as there is a nice guitar store nearby and I can pick up some tensioners there.  Let me see what yall got please, if I do get to make one Ill try and take pics along the way to make a tutorial.  Thanks all.

Ken

3 hours ago, WanderlustSoaps said:

I still have quite a bit of wood lying around and was wondering if anyone has wooden soap cutters and if they would be willing to take some pictures for me so I can maybe get some design ideas.  Thinking of probably going with wire cutters as there is a nice guitar store nearby and I can pick up some tensioners there.  Let me see what yall got please, if I do get to make one Ill try and take pics along the way to make a tutorial.  Thanks all.

Ken

For what it's worth I use #08 stainless steel leader wire, (Tooth Proof by American Fishing Wire @ Walmart) because it's ~$2 for 30 feet in my beveler. It's rated at 86#'s... I don't have a gang cutter yet though.  Also tuning machines can be pretty pricey, Stewart MacDonald has a couple of good deals right now: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Economy_Covered_Gear_6-In-Line_Tuners.html  

Cheers,

Sponie  The Executor  of, (ya know, just watch from a distance... preferably behind a blast shield. I'm just say'n... ) 

• Like 1

When I started I made two, one for splitting a block into logs and another to cut the log into bars. They were both the same design, just the orientation of the wire was different. On the log splitter the wire was vertical ( below). The bar cutter the wire was horizontal (so I could use it to split a tray into thin slabs. 

Vertical wire one would have worked to cut bars too, just by adding more vertical wires. I shimmed the space between the side and the wire to allow for different width logs. The more wires, though, the harder it is to push through! I tried making a log cutter to cut into bars out of wood, but it was near impossible to keep the wires tensioned enough.

I ended up up buying a pro slab cutter from for crafts sake this past summer, but this one did the job for 7 years, and probably would have worked for as many years to come :D 

My first log splitter:

IMG_0598.JPG

CLose up of wire :

IMG_0599.JPG

• Like 1

I don't have a pic of mine, but it's the hobby cutter from For Crafts Sake. They have a lot. I've had mine since I started soaping, but in hind sight, I should have gotten one that could be used with longer logs. Mine, because of it's design if I create a log that is longer than 15" or so long, I have to cut it in half to fit. I rarely make logs that long, but on occasion I do, and have to cut them in half to accommodate the cutter. 

You can take a look at that site. They have "The Tank" which a lot of people are crazy about, and many have taken that idea and created the same type of log with wood instead of metal. 

Here is mine...I love it.  I don't have any other pictures of it...but hopefully this gives you a start on a design.  I can take more if you need me to. 

I bought this off Etsy.

The part with the knob adjusts back and forth by loosening the knob and moving the wood piece to the width you want.

20160526_161657.jpg

20160523_155400.jpg

20160523_155342.jpg

Edited by debratant
  • Like 2