Do any of you NOT color your candle wax?

I am toying with the idea of leaving my candle wax in its natural color. i have some very unique label colors, some pastel, some 'burnt', etc etc and matching the candle wax to the label colors isnt exactly going to happen. The problem Im having is my OCD (lol) is flaring up if I have a Lilac colored label and the wax is a few shades of purple off. To me, it drives me nuts so I am toying with the idea of just not coloring the wax. If anything, I was actually thinking of coloring them with the white dye chips I have and making them as pure white as I can get them. It might give an upscale look, I dont know. White candles just always remind me of the boring, plain candles they had at chruch lol.

Do any of you NOT color your wax? If so, what types of reactions do you get from customers?

Also, if it helps or makes a difference, I use metal tins. You couldnt see the color from the outside anyways, so this was why I am deciding this route in the first place.

Thanks

• Like 2

I'm currently doing some repours for a neighbor and she specifically told me "no color" -- so, they are not getting any color to them.  These are soy candles and they look fine.

The thing about using white dye block is that it can clog your wicks.  I only use it in very small amounts, for instance, on a dessert candle that has some "icing" -- besides that, I don't use it as I've heard this from many experienced crafters.

• Like 1

I prefer wax with no dye. To me, it looks higher end. I buy Nest and Diptyque fairly often and most of their candles aren't colored. Nest colors some seasonal scents and Diptyque colors a few candles but in ways that makes you think it was natural (like their smoky Feu de Bois is a pale smoky grey). I really hate brightly colored candles, but that's just me. 

I really only make things for family and friends and have only just now started the process of getting a business name & insurance to sell, but I have no plans to color. 

• Like 2

I love colored candles BUT I do not dye mine....I use soy and leave it as is 

For me it fits my brand - a more primitive rustic old fashioned kinda look, I use Kraft labels and rustic colored lids, it's easier to Not color soy- I get to much frost and it's cheaper and easier to make 

I am however working on a parasoy line that will probably take me another couple years at this rate but they are colored and in a completely different jar with a completely different label  

Try them and see what your customers think- I personally have never been asked why I don't have colored candles - I really don't think people care as long as the whole package attracts their eye....and I am sure there are some that have to match the room they are burning their candles in 

• Like 3

I'm new at candle making and have not started selling any yet. I started off coloring mine when I was practicing with paraffin wax, but now that I am using soy I am going to quit. I just love the appearance of the natural color of other candle makers that do not use dye and I want to go that route. I especially love the look of the mason and jelly jars with either black or rustic lids. :) I am fixing for the first time going to experiment with tins and buckets thanks to Moonshine! :soapbabydance:

Edited by Pamaroma

Thanks all for the feedback, Im leaning towards leaving the wax as is. This will also allow me the freedom I want for my label colors as they are more antique, vintage colors and matching those with dyes has been fruitless. Im glad I asked you folks and now feel better about leaving them as is.

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Moonstar said:

especially if your going with more natural products - to me, it makes more sense . Plus like you said, it allows you to play around with colorful labels :) 

I prefer uncolored, it looks more elegant to me. 

I wish I was able to use a more natural product like soy, I tried for 6 months to get soy to throw the way I wanted it with no luck. I gave up for a while then read some reviews and tried some 4627. Although not as natural as soy and twice as messy as any other wax, I cant belive the HT and CT this wax is capable of. 

Most of my tins are left uncolored. I offer color chunks (for an extra fee) on all. 

But... The themed ones I DO color (especially swirled colors) sell at a much faster rate than those I do not color. I personally like the colored ones when it comes time to label. Makes it so much easier :)

• Like 3

I used to color my soy wax for quite a while and then  started  getting so frustrated with the opaque and pastel colors I was getting.....no vibrant colors,  so one day about seven years ago I quit coloring and never looked back! If I were using paraffin and could get some really great colors then I would do it. Personally I love the natural, naked look of them!  ?

I test this theory often by providing identical scents and jars in two different options at events. Colored and non colored wax.

Everytime... EVERYTIME the colored waxes do better...significantly better. Personally, like you, I prefer natural look mostly.

But overall, I do not think that is the case for most customers. Expecially around holidays.

Another example;

I recently did an event with a couple other big name candle brands. However, the mostly bought uncolored candles

I was busy all night... they were like a ghost town. Could it have been other factors... of course. But one thing is for sure.

If they had preferred uncolored candles, then they would have been over there with them. 

Again... I offer both.... which I think is good. But mostly colored candles sell more IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/14/2016 at 9:11 AM, wthomas57 said:

I test this theory often by providing identical scents and jars in two different options at events. Colored and non colored wax.

Everytime... EVERYTIME the colored waxes do better...significantly better. Personally, like you, I prefer natural look mostly.

But overall, I do not think that is the case for most customers. Expecially around holidays.

Another example;

I recently did an event with a couple other big name candle brands. However, the mostly bought uncolored candles

I was busy all night... they were like a ghost town. Could it have been other factors... of course. But one thing is for sure.

If they had preferred uncolored candles, then they would have been over there with them. 

Again... I offer both.... which I think is good. But mostly colored candles sell more IMO

That's good to know, glad you did the experiments. Thanks for sharing. 👍

On 10/14/2016 at 8:11 AM, wthomas57 said:

Another example;

Great market research! What containers are you using. I'm curious if it is the same for jars and tins.

Years back I went to au naturelle candles.   I have never been asked for colored candles to this day.  I don't offer it and don't even bring it up.   Has never been a problem.

I have saved money by not coloring them, and the dreaded frosting I always got when using dye was horrific.  I can make so much more production with no colored candles also.   So it is a win win for me. 

Trappeur

I do both.  Some customers talk about the vibrant colors and love them.  Then this week I asked a new customer if she wanted her candles colored or white and she prefered no color. 

I use rustic brown kraft labels and a black lid for the non colored candles, and ivory labels on a 12 sided jar for the colored candles.  

I like the colored candles personally and am always pleased when my red candles turn out a true red.  Once I had to change the name of my Apple Orchard candles to Pink Lady because they didn't come out red enough.  :)  They still sold.

• Haha 1

Yah, I could care less about the color of candles... but hands down, customers prefer color. Its not even close. Especially around holidays. 

Someone mentioned they dont like the cost of coloring (dont remember who), but there is VERY little cost.... I mean, pennies per candle if that. A few drops of color cost nothing.

I think the most any candle has cost me in color was still under 10 cents and that was to get a true red or black. The worst part about color is having to deal with the color, lol. But you get used to it. Its not that I dont sell any that are non-colored. But colored sells about 20-1 for me now over the long run. Actually its much higher than that. The 20 to 1 ration included scents that make sense to be white or creamy with no color. So, those are non colored anyways. All in all, I will sell 0 blue spruce that are off-white while selling 50 that are colored. 

Edited by wthomas57
  • Like 2