RRD Wicks (Why arne't more people talking about these?)

I have never used 6006 so I can't compare...sorry 

but I really like the Clarus - cold throw and hot throw is wonderful and with me primarily working with soy it's sooooo refreshing to be able to pour this hot and have a beautiful creamy candle! I can also color with no headaches 

I have had great results with the CDN series in this wax and I have wicked  others I just have to get around to burning them to see the results 

I think I tried premier as well, would have to look back on my notes 

it's been a big time issue for me to continue testing and completing this line of Clarus but I will get there - I love it 

8 hours ago, moonshine said:

I have never used 6006 so I can't compare...sorry 

but I really like the Clarus - cold throw and hot throw is wonderful and with me primarily working with soy it's sooooo refreshing to be able to pour this hot and have a beautiful creamy candle! I can also color with no headaches 

I have had great results with the CDN series in this wax and I have wicked  others I just have to get around to burning them to see the results 

I think I tried premier as well, would have to look back on my notes 

it's been a big time issue for me to continue testing and completing this line of Clarus but I will get there - I love it 

I had heard of throw inconsistency and many FOS not working great... Probably because it's mostly soy. But I'm not sure. 6006 is kinda of the reverse of clarus as far the parrafin and soy ratio. So I would think both HT and VT would be better with the 6006. 

Do the CDNs mushroom much?

The CDNs do not mushroom much at all- I have more fragrances that mushroom with the CDs but if the 6006 does have more paraffin it may not be any better as it's designed more for soy but then again that doesn't really mean much either....lol

As far as throw inconsistencys....I use mainly soy and I honestly get almost as good of throw as the Clarus (the Clarus is somewhat stonger) so I don't think the soy part would be the culprit 

I think finding that perfect wick and temps and cure time are key - I'm still plugging away slowly trying more wicks myself 

I might get a sample of 6006 if it does in fact have more paraffin and compare the throw for my own curiosity 

The only wax I can get close to the HT of straight parrafin like 4627 is 6006.... so far. At least without having to use way too much FO or double and tripple wicking. 

But if I can get "close enough" but easier or better wicking, then I'd go that route

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this board and have to say this is such an interesting topic.  I use 6006 and wick it with zinc and have had mostly good results.  I have noticed the zinc to cause mushrooming but haven't found another option. I will be interested to see this topic continue.

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, ghostrider said:

@wthomas57 Did you ever complete your testing of RRD wicks in 6006, if so what were the results?

Unfortunately, I haven't had any time yet to test the RRDs as I had hoped. Still mostly using zincs with 6006.

I will say that I tested LX some as I really liked the tight flame. It burns really pretty and consistent. Less mushroom as well.

The only thing.... and the reason I decided not to use them much.... they appear to smoke more leading to black soot.

I really hope to get some time with RRDs and hope maybe to see some other reviews of them as well

RRD mushroomed pretty bad for me in a similar parasoy .....had high hopes thinking in the beginning it was going to be excellent and after the second and third burn big shrooms but I will continue testing going down in size - very nice wick with a beautiful flame and throw 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 9:01 AM, moonshine said:

The CDNs do not mushroom much at all- I have more fragrances that mushroom with the CDs but if the 6006 does have more paraffin it may not be any better as it's designed more for soy but then again that doesn't really mean much either....lol

As far as throw inconsistencys....I use mainly soy and I honestly get almost as good of throw as the Clarus (the Clarus is somewhat stonger) so I don't think the soy part would be the culprit 

I think finding that perfect wick and temps and cure time are key - I'm still plugging away slowly trying more wicks myself 

I might get a sample of 6006 if it does in fact have more paraffin and compare the throw for my own curiosity 

Hey Moonshine, did you ever try any 6006 to compare to the clarus you use?

Ive consider clarus, but I worry about availability. Not as common or widely sold as 6006. Plus I buy in large bulk... I haven't done the research yet but I wonder if I can get clarus in descent bulk pricing like I can everything else.

I am interested in it though especially if it throws well still, CDNs work and they dont mushroom or smoke.

Thanks

I have never tried 6006 so I cannot compare 

you can go to clarus online and request a free sample - which is a 10 pound slab and see if you like it at all and compare it to the 6006

their prices are not bad at all and they quote you the shipping if you call the number and talk to Melanie 

the website I believe is clarussp.com

connies candles carry the 3022 but if you buy in bulk I am sure it will be cheaper direct from clarus

the 3022 is what I believe is comparable to 6006 being more soy and they have a 3020 which is more paraffin and that is nowhere to be found but direct thru clarus 

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been testing RRD40/47 in my glasses, 3.25" in diameter. with Ecosoya CB-Xcel soy wax.

I've found the following -

RRD40

7% FO - great burn pool, HT is not that great, but could be because of the wax, shrooms, but keep cutting to 1/4" for burns should help.  No sooting on glasses, flames consistent, no smoking as well.

8% FO - great burn pool, HT is better, shrooms a little more, but keeping to 1/4" wick helps.  No sooting on glasses, flames great, no smoking as well.

RRD47

7% - jars is hot, but not too hot to hold, burn pool is full off the first burn, so I'm guessing it's too large of a wick.  HT is decent, keep shrooming to a minimum by 1/4" snips.  A bit of sooting on glasses, flames a little too large, no smoking though.

8% - burn pool is full off first burn, jars is hot but not too hot to hold.  HT is good, shrooms so 1/4" snips.  Soots on the glass, flames large, no smoking.

Hope this helps out.

I'm testing out some HTP as well, so I'll keep you posted.

I feel as though as CB-Xcel is a hard wax to get really good HT.

• 6 months later...

I was going to suggest a 47.  LOL  But I was assuming a fairly hefty scent load and some dye.  What % of f.o. are you using?   Are you coloring?  Light or heavy?

If you're not scenting and coloring, I'd also suggest starting with a 40.

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
  • Like 1