Scrubbing away confusion.

Sponiebr

(sighs)

I really hate to have to ask this, but I need help with defining scrubs. One would think that as much of a google troll as I am, I might actually be able to come up with a basic answer to this, but, alas the screams of confusion drown out any voice of reasonable clarity as to what exactly is a sugar scrub. 

So far I can deduce that a scrub is something with a dissolving or non dissolving particulate matter that would in other disciplines be simply called an abrasive. This abrasive may be suspended, mixed, colloidal, emulsified, emolliating, cleansing, healing, rejuvenating, invigorating, titillating, regressing, anti aging, restorative, and/or all of the above in their respective states or non states of being made from completely all natural, food grade, pure, organic, sustainable, non genetically modified, tamper free, cruelty free, ethical, bipartisan, Unitarian, non judgmental, nourishing, ingredients.  How did civilization make it thus far with out SUGAR scrubs!? I realized that I want this, NO... I NEED THIS, in my LIFE, and in my diet, and... Well... I should marinate in this stuff and maybe become an REAL person someday! BUT WAIT!!!! THERE'S MORE!!!! 

There are formulations, concoctions, and "recipes" for this ONE SIMPLE TRICK that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE and that the Government DEFINITELY doesn't want you to know about! 

!!!!CLICK/MOUSE/LOOK/GLANCE/NOTICE HERE!!!! IF you want to find out about this ridiculously EASY life hack THAT YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT and to find salvation from the INDUSTRY and how to save 15 cents or more on car insurance!!!!!!

(click)

So this "ridiculously EASY life hack THAT "I" NEVER KNEW ABOUT" is a 35 minute video on how to mix 1 bottle of Jergen's hand lotion with a 5 lb bag of white table sugar and 1 drop of food coloring and how to put it into a mason jar.  OR It's just mix coconut oil and brown sugar together. It might be you need to get e wax, or bath whip, or some other purchasable product to get this  ridiculously EASY life hack THAT YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT to work.

Then there are the suppliers selling their interpretative formulations/recipes to get you to buy the kit/or ingredients, and I totally get that one, "hey you can make this fine product by using our fine line of "x". That's fine, in fact I really appreciate companies providing example formulations for types of products within product categories.

So, I tried, against my common sense and understanding of how chemistry and life works, (or at least my limited understanding of how oil and water works), to just mix oil and sugar together. It left me feeling, what's the term..., ah!  GROSS. Yes, my hands felt GROSS and covered in oil after that. The only good thing was the sugar rinsed off with no problem.  I thought, "Yep! You were right! That WAS a BAD idea. It needs a surfactant/soap."  I added dish washing liquid to it, and again I was RIGHT. That was a MUCH more pleasant experience.  I've seen the foaming bath scrubs and I've seen the emolliated scrubs, jojoba beads, etc... but I have NOT seen anything that defines WHAT a sugar scrub is supposed to be. Is it a leave on oil? Is it a wash? It's obviously NOT a simple exfoliant.  

So what IS a "scrub", and what IS a "scrub" actually supposed to do? What is a scrub's most basic form? 

End psychotic rant.

-Sponie: The Executor of Bad Ideas.  

• Like 2

Scrubs can be as simple as an oil and sugar (or salt). Choices of oils becomes pretty important since some oils feel grosser than others.

emulsified/emulsifying scrubs are oils, sugar/salt/whatever with an emulsifier like ewax, polysorbates, BTMS, etc to create a lotion like substance when the scrub hits water. 

Bubbling scrubs contain foaming surfactant blends to make the product emulsify and foam for a different feel.

solid scrubs have more binders and bulking agents to reduce packaging. 

Jergens, etc. mixed with sugar become syrup since the water in the lotion will dissolve the sugar, yuk.

i have seen Pinterest recipes with oils,sugar and dawn detergent. Not my cuppa, but if it works, hey! 

In the end, a scrub should polish away the dull, dead upper layer of skin cells to leave behind a soft, healthy glow. I like emulsifying types so my shower floor does not become an oil slick. Sometimes I like a solid, like for travel. The bubbling ones often leave me feeling a little too dry. You can use sugar, walnut hulls. Vanilla pods, luffa, whatever you like!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Scrubs can be as simple as an oil and sugar (or salt). Choices of oils becomes pretty important since some oils feel grosser than others.

Olive oil feels pretty gross... Let me tell you!

emulsified/emulsifying scrubs are oils, sugar/salt/whatever with an emulsifier like ewax, polysorbates, BTMS, etc to create a lotion like substance when the scrub hits water. 

Bubbling scrubs contain foaming surfactant blends to make the product emulsify and foam for a different feel.

solid scrubs have more binders and bulking agents to reduce packaging. 

Jergens, etc. mixed with sugar become syrup since the water in the lotion will dissolve the sugar, yuk.

That youtuber may have used something else, but the upshot was "store bought unscented lotion" of some ilk with some cooking extract and food coloring added to a huge amount of sugar. 

i have seen Pinterest recipes with oils,sugar and dawn detergent. Not my cuppa, but if it works, hey! 

(FACE PALM!) Really!? This exists? I was at work when I mixed that mess up and I only grabbed it because I thought better of using TSP... I'll try the TSP... What's the WORSE that could happen, right?

In the end, a scrub should polish away the dull, dead upper layer of skin cells to leave behind a soft, healthy glow. I like emulsifying types so my shower floor does not become an oil slick. Sometimes I like a solid, like for travel. The bubbling ones often leave me feeling a little too dry. You can use sugar, walnut hulls. Vanilla pods, luffa, whatever you like!

I'm wondering if a little of my CO soap grated into some oil and mixed with some sugar might be sufficient to create a scrub that wouldn't require adding preservative or emulsifiers... I may have to produce an amount of scrub here sometime in the next month or 2 and I'd like to sort this out well in advance so I don't end up having to buy a $60 scrub kit. 

One of these day's I'll listen to the screaming voices of reason in my head and run when they tell me to run. 

Thanks TT. that's a MUCH better synopsis than anything I've been able to find so far. 

I used to make the foaming sugar scrubs. Everyone loved them but I didn't like all the ingredients in the foaming bath butter so I started making an emulsified scrub. The emulsified scrub doesn't leave my skin feeling oily like just mixing sugar and oil does. It makes the scrub actually feel like you used lotion. The directions I put on my labels tell my customers to use after they shower to exfoliate then rinse. This way the oils stay on the skin longer to moisturize and don't get washed off with soap. I make one using unrefined pure cane sugar, one using a mixture of larger grained sugar, like turbinado and a sea salt scrub. I change up the oils I use depending on what I'm making. The ones I use the most are olive, avocado, rice bran, sunflower, babassu, pumpkin seed oil or coconut. For the fall this year, I made a coffee sugar scrub with olive, avocado, babassu, pumpkin seed and rice bran oil.   Not sure I answered your question but this is my favorite type of scrub that I've used to exfoliate. 

Kelly

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Sponie, remind me tomorrow and I'll post a nice, easy, economical emulsifying scrub that works very well. No need for a kit :) I'll post it as a formula so you can plug in the oils and butters you like and have on hand. 

Olive oil does feel (and smell) gross to me when applied neat.

give your coconut soap one a try. Grate it really powdery fine to help it dissolve very quickly. I've used some with big filings of soap that don't dissolve leaving chunks of soap behind on the shower floor. 

For bubbling scrubs I use many of the same ingredients that go into my shampoo bars. Way easier, cheaper and I get to use something I already have. Bonus!

• Like 1

Here is a really simple formula you can plug and play with. I use a 1:1 base with sugar usually. SOmetimes I go as high as 1:1.5 (more sugar for a stiffer end product). Depending on how much you whip it can be fluffy. I make a large batch of base to add sugar, scent, colors, etc. later as ordered.

Emulsifying Sugar Scrub Base
number of jars             1.00    
Total oz per jar (with sugar)             9.00    
Total oz 50% base)             4.50    
` base 122.8  
Original total to make 130.5 4.5
Ingredient Percent Measurement (g) Measurement (oz)

Ewax (I use other emulsifiers here for different feel)

Ewax calculated at 25% of total oils. Can go lower if your oils emulsify easily).

16.3% 20.7 0.73125
cetyl alcohol 7.0% 8.9 0.315

Liquid Oil (l blend several)

55.0% 70.2 2.475
    0.0 0
Glycerine (if none, add to liquid oil) 5.0% 6.4 0.225
Hard Butters (i use cocoa butter, shea, etc.) 10.0% 12.8 0.45
stearic acid(if none, add to hard butters) 3.0% 3.8 0.135
    0.0 0
FO 3.0% 3.8 0.135
Preservative 0.5%-1% as directed 0.6 0.0225
  99.8%    
  • Like 2

Here is a really simple formula you can plug and play with. I use a 1:1 base with sugar usually. SOmetimes I go as high as 1:1.5 (more sugar for a stiffer end product). Depending on how much you whip it can be fluffy. I make a large batch of base to add sugar, scent, colors, etc. later as ordered.

` base 122.8  

Ewax calculated at 25% of total oils. Can go lower if your oils emulsify easily).

16.3% 20.7 0.73125

55.0% 70.2 2.475
    0.0 0
    0.0 0
FO 3.0% 3.8 0.135
  99.8%    
  • Like 1

Here's another one for you also. The photo is the recipe I use. It's Kelly Blooms recipe and you can find a video on YouTube of her making it. I just changed the oils in it and use babassu oil instead of coconut oil. Weigh out the EWax, stearic acid and beeswax and melt on lowest heat. Weigh your other oils. I melt the babassu or coconut oil before adding to liquid oils and mix my sugars or salts in separate bowls. Once the EWax mixture is melted, you stir into your other liquid oils. It should start thickening pretty quickly and changing to a creamy color. Let it cool to recommended temperature before adding preservative. Mix well. Then add your sugars or salts and fragrance. Mix well and spoon into your containers. It will harden as it sets overnight. This makes a gallon of scrub, which is about 15-16 8oz jars. It's a pretty large batch so use a big bowl. Hope that all makes sense. ?

image.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KrazeKelly said:

Here's another one for you also. The photo is the recipe I use. It's Kelly Blooms recipe and you can find a video on YouTube of her making it. I just changed the oils in it and use babassu oil instead of coconut oil. Weigh out the EWax, stearic acid and beeswax and melt on lowest heat. Weigh your other oils. I melt the babassu or coconut oil before adding to liquid oils and mix my sugars or salts in separate bowls. Once the EWax mixture is melted, you stir into your other liquid oils. It should start thickening pretty quickly and changing to a creamy color. Let it cool to recommended temperature before adding preservative. Mix well. Then add your sugars or salts and fragrance. Mix well and spoon into your containers. It will harden as it sets overnight. This makes a gallon of scrub, which is about 15-16 8oz jars. It's a pretty large batch so use a big bowl. Hope that all makes sense. ?

image.jpeg

There's no water in this... so what's the optiphen for? Is it there because predictably a hygroscopic bath product will be used in a bath environment and eventually draw in moisture? 

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

` base 122.8  

16.3% 20.7 0.73125

55.0% 70.2 2.475
    0.0 0
    0.0 0
FO 3.0% 3.8 0.135
  99.8%    

o.O I'm kinda getting jazzed about the whole powdered laundry detergent, cooking oil, and sugar concept here... I think it might work...

It looks like I'm going to have to order the ewax, cetyl alcohol, and germban or optiphen, and stearic acid. Who do you recommend for a dealer? 

7 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

There's no water in this... so what's the optiphen for? Is it there because predictably a hygroscopic bath product will be used in a bath environment and eventually draw in moisture? 

Yes, it will be used in the shower and people tend to stick wet fingers in the jars. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2016 at 8:05 PM, KrazeKelly said:

I used to make the foaming sugar scrubs. Everyone loved them but I didn't like all the ingredients in the foaming bath butter so I started making an emulsified scrub. The emulsified scrub doesn't leave my skin feeling oily like just mixing sugar and oil does. It makes the scrub actually feel like you used lotion. The directions I put on my labels tell my customers to use after they shower to exfoliate then rinse. This way the oils stay on the skin longer to moisturize and don't get washed off with soap. I make one using unrefined pure cane sugar, one using a mixture of larger grained sugar, like turbinado and a sea salt scrub. I change up the oils I use depending on what I'm making. The ones I use the most are olive, avocado, rice bran, sunflower, babassu, pumpkin seed oil or coconut. For the fall this year, I made a coffee sugar scrub with olive, avocado, babassu, pumpkin seed and rice bran oil.   Not sure I answered your question but this is my favorite type of scrub that I've used to exfoliate. 

Kelly

image.jpeg

Hi Kelly,

I have heard of emulsified scrubs and was going to attempt to make them as I used to make whipped scrubs using butters and oils but became a nightmare to ship to people.  Do emulsified scrubs melt during shipment or warmer months since they essentially have butters and oils like I used to do or does the e-wax hold it up?

Thank you!