4630 vs 6006

Its funny.  I have never had a single person inquire about, complain about or even notice my wick type.  Never had anyone ask what kind of wick or wax I use.  Nothing.  They pick it up, smell it, and buy it or don't.  My people just don't care.

Have you ever tried LX wicks?  I've tried about everything else but those.

I have never worked with mottling waxes.  Number 1, because I don't want to do repours.  And number 2, the FO load is kinda low on the waxes I've looked at.  That took away any and all temptation I had to try it.  You know, Yankee candles lose their scent too.  I always heard (and believed) it was because only the top of the candle was scented, but maybe it's not that. Maybe it's a characteristic of that wax.  I doubt it, but maybe.  I'd be inclined to say, wick it as cool as possible and see if you experienced the same loss of scent.  I would think single wicking might be best, and if you could wick it to not clean the sides until the very end, you might be able to retain more scnet,.  I'd try an HTP, because that's what I've got.  What type of wick does Yankee use?  I haven't bought one in a blue moon.

Seriously, I am so over doing things the hard way.  That's why, as much as I like 6006, I blended it with the 4630 to get rid of the holes.  If it doesn't work, I'm going back to 4630, and I'll use the remainder of my 6006 for my wood wick candles, which I can do and do well.  But at this point, I will not give up my zinc wicks for my main line.  If a zinc wick won't burn it, I won't be making it. 

I'd love to see some of your mottled candles,if you have any pics.
Good luck! 

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Its funny.  I have never had a single person inquire about, complain about or even notice my wick type.  Never had anyone ask what kind of wick or wax I use.  Nothing.  They pick it up, smell it, and buy it or don't.  My people just don't care.

I dont have it happen a ton... but it does sometimes at events, shows or in direct sales. Not enough to worry about unless you worry about everything (like me). I've only ever had one person ask if it was all soy. My response was, "No way, if it was you'd probably return it with complaints". Haha!

Its funny.  I have never had a single person inquire about, complain about or even notice my wick type.  Never had anyone ask what kind of wick or wax I use.  Nothing.  
Have you ever tried LX wicks?  I've tried about everything else but those.

Yes every set of testers I do with 6006, I do 2 or 3 sizes of the following wicks: Zinc (baseline basically), LX, Premiers, and Eco

Zinc are easily the most dependable, burn the coolest, yada yada.. we all know the benefits. The mushroom is only thing I combat (and paranoia about the "wire") lol.

LX I absolutely LOVE the flame, the burn, less mushroom than zinc... BUT, I occasionally have more soot

Premiers - burns similar to zinc but hotter (sometimes good, sometimes bad). Mushrooms about the same, rigid and sturdy without a wire. I use it when a zinc size doesn't work

Eco - My favorite in regards to wick combustion, curls a little, little to no mushroom, good melt pools, etc.. but burn hotter than I want occasionally and seem to be more sooty.

Ill tell ya though... Ive had scents I've loved but couldn't wick with a darn using zinc in something bigger than a mason and that is where those other wicks have really come in handy since they burn hotter.

I have never worked with mottling waxes.  Number 1, because I don't want to do repours.  And number 2, the FO load is kinda low on the waxes I've looked at.  That took away any and all temptation I had to try it.  You know, Yankee candles lose their scent too.  I always heard (and believed) it was because only the top of the candle was scented, but maybe it's not that. Maybe it's a characteristic of that wax.  I doubt it, but maybe.  I'd be inclined to say, wick it as cool as possible and see if you experienced the same loss of scent.  I would think single wicking might be best, and if you could wick it to not clean the sides until the very end, you might be able to retain more scnet,.  I'd try an HTP, because that's what I've got.  What type of wick does Yankee use?  I haven't bought one in a blue moon.

I had no temptation at first for the same reasons, except now 1) I've realized the amount of people who LOVE the mottling is amazing. There is a reason soooo many people will still only buy yankee or similar and its not just because of reputation. I've been asked since day one about using the "textured wax". I wouldn't want to use it extensively, but a line of them is something I am working on. They are beautiful. 2) I only use it in large apoth and large status (22oz net wt) so 2nd pours dont bother me because I am generally only doing 2 at a time (I dont stock them like I do everything else). So, this means I pour each about half.. wait.. and then finish both off with second half. Its not bad at all. Plus mostly Ive been two toning these candles for a more fun look so I would be pouring twice anyway. Here is a few pictures you were asking about (bare in mind these are testers, so the real finished ones would be better.) 

20170510_162340.thumb.jpg.fcfa9dc97fb1c01ddce56c069b77504c.jpg

20170510_162532.thumb.jpg.79af7b0e35a682d56ea76054b4b804bd.jpg

20170504_002201.thumb.jpg.21046d52b82a0a21811ab71a90f513f0.jpg20170508_215041.thumb.jpg.fbd4cee7c49c353ba0baa295965a980f.jpg

3) The FO seems low at 5 or 6%. But you can add a bit of vybar (that doesn't hurt the mottling) and bump it up to 7-8%. There is NO reason to add more than that to an all parrafin candle in my opinion. They throw really well. Plus, jars this diamater have such a large MP that the throw is great anyway.

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Seriously, I am so over doing things the hard way.  That's why, as much as I like 6006, I blended it with the 4630 to get rid of the holes.  If it doesn't work, I'm going back to 4630, and I'll use the remainder of my 6006 for my wood wick candles, which I can do and do well.  But at this point, I will not give up my zinc wicks for my main line.  If a zinc wick won't burn it, I won't be making it. 

Ha, I definitely hear ya. Ill say that I dont get holes with 6006 though. Maybe because of temp I pour or how I cure them. I dont blend anything with it for holes. I blend it to soften it a bit as 4630 has about a 15 degree lesser melt point. I like to bring 6006 down a bit from 130ish closer to 120-125 to melt a touch better. Also, 4630 will only enhance HT anyway.

Ok, regarding the wood wicks. Please share! Feel free to message me as well. So far my testing with wood wicks in 6006 has been pretty awful. Maybe the scents, maybe my lack of patience.. but most likely its the wood wicks Ive tried. the first burn seems just fine. BUT... can rarely ever get them to relight (at least consistently) and they discolor the top of the wax so badly it makes them utterly ugly! So I am very interested. Would love to offer a small line of wood wicked candles.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Your mottled candles are gorgeous!  Thank you for posting those pics.  I see why they are popular.  I was under the impression that the addition of vybar would inhibit the mottling, but I guess I have been schooled.  Thank you for that tidbit of into. 

Wood wicks.  I love them.  Despite everything I've ever read & heard, I have had no problem at all with inconsistencies or flare ups.  Once in a while one will fail to crackle.  I have always used the Unity 2 ply wicks.  6006 is perfect for them.  There is slight discoloration of the wax, but in my uncolored candles it is just a little darkening of the top from white to ivory, and I don't find it offensive at all. 

My objective with a ww candle is to create one in which the customer can reach in the jar, break off the burned tip of the wick with their fingers and relight with no smoke and have it burn tamely and cleanly.  That's the easiest way to trim one, and I don't trust customers to do anything that isn't easy.  Of course,  proper verbiage accompanies each purchase.

I don't do many scents in these, about 8.  Average/medium weight oils work really well with the medium ww's in status jars....Dried Apple Wreath is my #1 seller in ww candles.  The medium ww's are too large for light oils and not large enough for heavy oils, and the large ww's are too large for status jars period.  I just use what works and don't worry about what doesn't.  It's not my main line, and I am not high volume, so I have a lot of flexibility in what I offer.

I just recently found out that my fave ww supplier, TFC, has stopped carrying the wood wicks I use.  They will have a different type soon, and I will have to retest when my current stock of wicks is exhausted.  Ugh.

Thanks for the compliment. You can see why I want to continue them. They look really nice and get a lot of buzz. Plus, they are fun and unique so I dont mind the little extra work.Ill do other things while waiting to do the second pour.

Would you mind sharing your supplier for the wood wicks. I had not great results from Lonestar and Flaming (I think). But I see in your post that the reason may be because they aren't carrying the good wood wicks anymore. Keep me posted if you find a good replacement

Would love to work on those again.

On 5/16/2017 at 1:34 PM, wthomas57 said:

Would you mind sharing your supplier for the wood wicks. I had not great results from Lonestar and Flaming (I think). But I see in your post that the reason may be because they aren't carrying the good wood wicks anymore. Keep me posted if you find a good replacement

Would love to work on those again.

I am using the Unity 2 ply wicks from TFC.  The ones they no longer sell.  I had excellent results.  What issues did you have with them?

Hi wthomas .. I have read all through this , as I have also been struggling with sooting  4630. What was you concensus on blending the 6006/4630? I am a little lost in the ratios , have you tested them yet? I loove your mottled candles , so pretty. Not sure if I can buy that here

Blending the 6006/4630 is great in all ways... except sooting. But honestly, when using mostly parrafin I am not sure how you avoid it, especially by the time you add other elements like UV inhibitor, dye and FO. I just think you are gonna get soot.  I have been using a blend of 80/20 (20 being the 4630).

Now personally, I like using 464 instead of 4630 for the 20% part. It achieves the same thing as adding 4630 which is lower melt point, wicking is a bit easier.

The extra benefit is not as sooty. The disadvantage is that takes longer to cure and not QUITE as great of a smooth easy pour with minimal wetspots.

Regarding the mottling.. I am combating some of the same issues... being all parrafin, it can get real sooty sometimes. Not sure how to combat it yet. Plus doesn't hold as much FO without sweating. (Nature of mottled candles though). Yankees do it as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I'm having good results blending 4630/6006.  Changed wick types and that helped the sooting issue a lot. 

What wicks did you switch to? I have definitely noticed more soot  when blending in a little 4630 compared to just 6006. Some scents more than others.  But overall definitely more soot than just 6006.

• 1 month later...