Wax blending suggestions

CBeardly

I've tried working with Pillar of Bliss on & off for almost two years now & I'm throwing in the towel. I have twenty unused pounds of it, not counting what's in my melting pot, but I'm done. I get no consistent throw & that's when I have any throw at all. I kept trying, but it just doesn't work for me. Yeah, I know, I'm a slow learner. I have a few pounds of 6006. Can anyone recommend a wax or waxes to blend with that for melts? Or should I start completely from scratch with different wax? I really need some advice. I have craft shows coming up soon & no wax products in stock. :frown2: 

I normally blend feather palm and 464 for my melts. This year, since I had wax I wanted to get rid of, I blended leftover glass glow palm with a some 6006 and 4627 to soften the palm up a bit. Then I blended 464 & cba for the whipped topping. It all seems to have worked well. I tested in my melter and they are melting fine and have a good throw. 

Kelly

• Like 1

I don't think I've heard of glass glow palm. Then again, I hadn't heard of most of the other types either not that long ago.  :-)

Are you going back to your usual feather palm & 464 once you use up your glass glow palm or do you plan to keep using it?

• Like 1

I will go back to the pillar type Palm waxes. I add just enough 464 to them so that it softens it but I still get the feathering from the wax. Not as pronounced as straight Palm but it makes a pretty melt. I'd have to go look but I'm sure I use 12oz Palm and 4oz 464 to make a lb. The best part is they don't normally stick to the melter at all. You don't have to heat before tossing out old wax, it just falls right out solid.

Kelly 

• Like 1

Oh, okay. Palm really is a pretty wax. I did try a palm wax before the PoB, I forgot. I think I must have used the wrong type at the time, maybe container... it was difficult to remove. I can't recall much else about it though. It was a long time ago. Then I was told that PoB was the way to go & I've been trying to work with it ever since. Meh.

• Like 1

I've used 4625 mixed with 6006 and had good results. Not I use 4625 with 4630 and sometimes KY's tart wax, whichever I have on hand. Just when I think I've made up my mind I switch LOL!

I tried Pillar of Bliss once and didn't care for it personally. I do like 6006 though and I think if you blended it with 4625 you would have get a good throw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I've used 4625 mixed with 6006 and had good results. Not I use 4625 with 4630 and sometimes KY's tart wax, whichever I have on hand. Just when I think I've made up my mind I switch LOL!

I tried Pillar of Bliss once and didn't care for it personally. I do like 6006 though and I think if you blended it with 4625 you would have get a good throw.

Thanks! I think I'll experiment with both the palm blends & the 4625 blends. They have to be better than the PoB.  :P

I don't know why I didn't give up on Pillar of Bliss much sooner. I'm stubborn I guess. In other groups people say it's awesome so I though it was me & that I needed to figure out what I was doing wrong, but after all this time I don't think it's me any more.

5 minutes ago, CBeardly said:

Thanks! I think I'll experiment with both the palm blends & the 4625 blends. They have to be better than the PoB.  :P

I don't know why I didn't give up on Pillar of Bliss much sooner. I'm stubborn I guess. In other groups people say it's awesome so I though it was me & that I needed to figure out what I was doing wrong, but after all this time I don't think it's me any more.

You're welcome! I don't think you'll be disappointed with 4625. I've used it alone and it does well that way too in molds. One very popular vendor uses it straight in her tarts and she has a very good following. At least her tarts look like that's what they are and I really think she uses it alone. I've compared mine to hers and they look the same.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Belinda said:

You're welcome! I don't think you'll be disappointed with 4625. I've used it alone and it does well that way too in molds. One very popular vendor uses it straight in her tarts and she has a very good following. At least her tarts look like that's what they are and I really think she uses it alone. I've compared mine to hers and they look the same.

Would this be a "super" vendor that states you don't have to cure her wax?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CBeardly said:

Would this be a "super" vendor that states you don't have to cure her wax?

Possibly. I know her website closes down in a few hours after she opens. She closes and restocks and then reopens. I know she uses all paraffin and I know she uses 4625 and I'm almost 100% sure she uses it straight. What I don't know is if she adds anything like vybar to it but I've made tarts with the same FO's that I've bought some of hers in and mine smelled and looked the same.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of someone different then, she changed to having RTS all the time instead of the closing & restocking. There are so many wax vendors on FB & in general.

I won't use vybar again. I tried it previously & even though I'm sure my wax wasn't any good anyway, it was far too easy for me to accidentally add way too much. I added a TB instead of, like, 1/4 tsp or however much it's supposed to be. Oops.

On September 2, 2016 at 10:18 PM, CBeardly said:

I'm thinking of someone different then, she changed to having RTS all the time instead of the closing & restocking. There are so many wax vendors on FB & in general.

I won't use vybar again. I tried it previously & even though I'm sure my wax wasn't any good anyway, it was far too easy for me to accidentally add way too much. I added a TB instead of, like, 1/4 tsp or however much it's supposed to be. Oops.

I think the person you're thinking about uses para/soy. Her wax doesn't have to cure because it's probably already cured before it's shipped out or added to the RTS list. I agree with Karen. The one I'm talking about uses all paraffin and states so on her site. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've made three blends with three different fragrances: NG Cinnamon Yum Yums (I just call it Cinnamon Yum), WSP Peppermint Cream, & JS Blonde Moment with 4625/4630, 4625/6006 & 464/Feather Palm. I wanted a variety to make sure it wasn't an FO that was off. Two fragrances have cured for a week, the NG & WSP FOs. I've melted a Peppermint Cream 4625/4630 & a Cinnamon Yum 464/Feather Palm today. When I made them I used the max load allowed for each wax, I think so anyway. But, I can't smell either one. I really don't think I'm nose blind because I can smell the cinnamon one when I'm really up close to it & I can smell oil in my warmers. Should I allow for a longer cure or try more FO?