Has Any Used KY Para Soy Tart + Votive Wax

Moonstar

I ordered a 5 # sample bag of KY Para Soy for Tart + Votive wax. The directions on the bag say to heat to approx 165 + add FO - stir for 2 min and pour at  150-155 

It says wax can hold 1-1.5 oz pp of wax. My question is Ive never added FO at that temp - always at around 180 + those with vanilla about 183 . Ive always been 

told by CS Peak etc that the wax needs to be around this temp in order for the FO to bind. I emailed RE to ask about this, the response was they've always followed 

the directions of the wax + said it might be dangerous to add FO that high temp due to flashpoint ???? Im hoping someone has used this wax. I really like the idea 

of using a easy to store/use wax - its in really tiny beads, no cutting wax, just scoop - weigh + melt. 

I used it when I first started but had to heat it up hotter than that to get the FO to mix with it. I think Fairy Wren (can't remember exactly how she spells it) still uses that wax. Someone posted about it not too long ago and she responded that she used it. Maybe you could message her?

• Like 1

I haven't used that wax, but it drives me nuts when people(suppliers no less) give out misinformation about flashpoint. Flashpoint is the lowest temp a FO will ignite IF exposed to a spark or flame. That's it. That's what flashpoint is, 

Flashpoint has nothing to do with what temp you should add it to your wax, or if it will "burn off" or "flash off" at that point, nothing. 

Off my soap-box now. 

:D 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I haven't used that wax, but it drives me nuts when people(suppliers no less) give out misinformation about flashpoint. Flashpoint is the lowest temp a FO will ignite IF exposed to a spark or flame. That's it. That's what flashpoint is, 

Flashpoint has nothing to do with what temp you should add it to your wax, or if it will "burn off" or "flash off" at that point, nothing. 

Off my soap-box now. 

:D 

I know what you mean ... that is so annoying ! Not sure why she said that to me. Im just going to heat to the temp I normally do. With my luck

if I follow her instructions I'll waste my FO + wax lol ! The heat to instructions seemed off but maybe someone on here will chime in thats used 

it before. Belinda said someone on here uses it so Im hoping she sees this post. 

I can tell you that when I used it I added FO much higher than their instructions. I use their paraffin at times and add FO at the same temp I would any other paraffin wax and I didn't change it when I used their para/soy blend. Try this link. I think this is where you asked about it in May and she replied. Maybe you can PM her. HTH

• Like 1

On August 23, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Moonstar said:

I ordered a 5 # sample bag of KY Para Soy for Tart + Votive wax. The directions on the bag say to heat to approx 165 + add FO - stir for 2 min and pour at  150-155 

It says wax can hold 1-1.5 oz pp of wax. My question is Ive never added FO at that temp - always at around 180 + those with vanilla about 183 . Ive always been 

told by CS Peak etc that the wax needs to be around this temp in order for the FO to bind. I emailed RE to ask about this, the response was they've always followed 

the directions of the wax + said it might be dangerous to add FO that high temp due to flashpoint ???? Im hoping someone has used this wax. I really like the idea 

of using a easy to store/use wax - its in really tiny beads, no cutting wax, just scoop - weigh + melt. 

How is it that a company that you would think would certainly know about flash points..doesn't? Like really? 

• Like 1

I was baffled by their comment . I was overall pleased with my FO's - just like anywhere your gonna get some duds or so -so's. Some of my favorites 

were Lemon Curd - Rustic Lodge - Main Street Christmas and some others. Not sure what I think of the Bonfire Bliss yet... OOB it seems slightly 

sweet to me anyhow but Im not picking up much "bonfire" Im sure that'll change when I put it in wax - fingers crossed lol ! Im waiting till after the

Memorial holiday when my sons in school - I can't get anything done right now - we're both starting to get on each others nerves lol ! 

Edited by Moonstar

Same here.....it was a long time ago I used it but I always add FO around 180

no problem 

Let us know what you think

I may have gotten a weird batch but the wax smelled like bonfire to me when melting - I loved how the votives looked but I could always whiff that smell and I stopped making votives 

would be curious if you get that as well as I am thinking about making them again for the holidays only 

Edited by moonshine

56 minutes ago, number2of7 said:

I've used this wax in my blend for over 8 years.  I've ALWAYS heated it higher than the directions.  No problems.  Ever.

So you still used this wax to blend with other waxes ?  Interesting. One of the reasons I bought this wax was in hopes that I didn't need to blend

plus I just love the fact that it's in a pellet/bead form. Im waiting for my son to get back in school to give the wax a try. May I ask you if you felt 

that the wax as a stand alone didn't give you good results ? I believe its a para -soy blend ? Thanks so much for chiming in - Really appreciate 

your input .... BTW LOVE your avatar :) 

Moonstar, when I used it I used it alone. I never thought about blending it at the time because it's a great stand alone wax in my opinion. I just like to use all paraffin. I will say thing though, the clams that I made with this wax 3 or 4 years ago, most still have a good cold throw to them. I'm sure a lot of it is  the scent but  the wax held the scent for sure. I still have a little bit of that wax. I may have to experiment with blending it with some paraffin container wax or something LOL! It never ends!

I still do use their all paraffin granulated wax. I also like the one from The Candle Source.

• Like 1