September 2016-Monster Mash and Graveyard Smash

Jcandleattic

September 2016 Soap of the Month

Monster Mash and the Graveyard Smash

Modified Goats Milk CP soap with Melt & Pour embed toppers

Halloween Embeds, scented in a mixture of Blood Orange & Goji Berries and Magic Potion

Experience Level: Beginner to Intermediate

This soap is a non-traditional Goats milk soap. I will be using fresh frozen goats milk, but you can use reconstituted goats milk or canned goats milk for this soap. Goats milk soap makes a nice creamy lathered soap that feels luscious to the skin and is almost like putting lotion on in a soap.

Some of this soap can be made ahead of time, like the melt & pour embeds, and your lye solution.

Also keep in mind that at time of making the soap you want your goats milk to be frozen and your oils and lye mixture to be at room temperature.

To make up your lye solution make a 50/50 mixture of water/lye ratio according to how much is needed for the recipe.

This recipe is 48 oz (3lbs) and calls for 12.96 oz of water/lye solution – that would mean you need 6.48 oz of water, and 6.48oz of lye mixed together.

FullSizeRender%2018_zpsgkqkhnbf.jpg

Non-Optional Equipment and Supplies:

·         Stainless Steel or HDPE mixing bowls to mix oils and lye into

·         Silicone Spatulas or mixing utensils

·         Eye Protection (Eye glasses may not be enough, I would suggest goggles to fit comfortably over prescription eye wear)

·         Gloves

·         Scale

·         Stick Blender

·         Frozen Goats Milk

·         Mold to hold 3lbs (48 oz) oils

·         Freezer paper to line mold if not a linerless mold

·         Clear Melt & Pour Soap

o   I used Bramble Berry’s clear M&P but any brand clear M&P will work

Optional Equipment and Supplies

·         91% Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle

·         Stainless Steel strainer

·         Apron

·         Paper towels

·         Mica or soap safe colorant that is stable in CP soap

o   I used Mad Oils Micas

§  Orange Crush

§  Titanium Dioxide 

Activated Charcoal

·         Scent

o   I mixed Blood Orange & Goji Berries with Magic Potion and will call this “Monster Mash and the Graveyard Smash”

·         Glitter

Recipe

PLEASE ALWAYS RUN YOUR RECIPE THROUGH A LYE CALCULATOR

I use SM3 and it does all of my calculations for me – this is a 33% lye concentration with a 6% Superfat

·         36oz (75%) Olive Oil

·         9.6oz (20%) Coconut Oil

·         2.4oz (5%) Castor Oil

·         12.96 50/50 Lye/Water solution  (6.48oz each)

·         4.28oz Frozen Goats Milk

·         1.3oz (2%) Sodium Lactate (Optional)

·         .5oz Vanilla Stabilizer (Optional)

Once you have all of your supplies ready and/or accessible it is time to start. Let’s make the embeds first –

Prepare your embed mold

Cut up 1oz clear M&P soap into a small microwavable container.

I put my color into my unmelted soap at this time

FullSizeRender%2020_zpscm2fugwg.jpg

FullSizeRender%2021_zpsfy7jestp.jpg

Melt in microwave on medium for about 15 seconds

Stir to melt any small chunks that did not get melted and to incorporate the color. If the small chunks don’t melt by stirring, heat at 5 second intervals until melted

I don’t add scent to my embeds, but you if you would like to, add your scent at this time – just a few drops should do it since it’s such a small amount of M&P

Pour into mold – this amount fills my tiny pumpkin mold and my 3 jack-o-lantern cavity mold perfectly.

FullSizeRender%2034_zps5m20oqow.jpg

Wait until set then unmold.

Repeat as many times as needed to get the amount of embeds needed for the top of the soap. I repeated this process 4 times to get the amount I wanted/needed for this soap

Set aside-

Now it’s time to make your CP

Make sure all safety gear is in place (goggles/eye wear, gloves, apron, etc.,)

In 3 separate containers mix your mica with some oil (I use one of the same oils in my recipe so I do not have to add this oil to the ingredient list)

FullSizeRender%2035_zpsbc1auezm.jpg

Mix thoroughly

Set aside

Prepare your mold. I use a 3lb silicone mold, but if you need to line your mold with freezer paper, now is the time to do it.

Weigh out and melt all oils and combine in a soap safe container – let come to room temperature – I add my scent directly to my oils at this time, and I also put my vanilla stabilizer in at this time.

Set aside

Weigh out and mix your 50/50 lye solution in lye safe container – let come to room temperature, then add your sodium lactate if you are using it.

FullSizeRender%2022_zpsqxpxffu2.jpg

Weigh out your frozen goats milk and mix into room temperature lye solution

FullSizeRender%2023_zpsa51omsky.jpg

FullSizeRender%2025_zpsmhj0hmgu.jpg

Mix thoroughly until dissolved

FullSizeRender%2027_zpswz5fxhuw.jpg

FullSizeRender%2028_zpsvwzmibss.jpg

If your lye solution gets orange chunks or gives off a really bad ammonia smell, this means that the goats milk has become scorched or burned. It will still make good soap, but the color may be off. This is one reason your want your lye solution to be room temp and your GM to be frozen. Less chance of it burning/scorching. 

Pour through strainer into room temp oils

FullSizeRender%2029_zpsqgxnxsed.jpg

Then use a spatula to get the "sludge" to go through the strainer. Not all may go through and that's okay. Set strainer aside. 

Stick blend to just past emulsification. If you didn’t add your scent, and vanilla stabilizer directly to the oils, add it now

FullSizeRender%2031_zpshrbyod3o.jpg

The scent has caused this soap to get very yellow. However, the soap will turn back to white after saponification. 

Separate into mica color containers – stir in thoroughly or stick blend.

Don’t panic is your mixture gets thick – the goats milk and/or scent can thicken things up, you will just need to work fast or bang your mold down as to not get holes in your cut bars. I wasn’t able to work fast with trying to take pictures as well, so it got very thick on me, but I just kept going.

Scoop or pour colors alternately into your mold, then bang down to get rid of any air pockets that may have occurred

FullSizeRender%2038_zpspcutc385.jpg

I spoon swirl all my soaps and did so with this one as well. I put the spoon down in the middle of the mold sideways, then twirl my spoon to make the swirl.  I go up one side and then down the next

FullSizeRender%2040_zpsodyg4hic.jpg

FullSizeRender%2041_zpslsnhfnjg.jpg

Once all soap mixture is in the mold, you then place your embeds on top of the soap. I use a strip of masking tape, marked where my cuts will be so I know where to place my embeds

FullSizeRender%2032_zpsodwy7g0h.jpg

When placing embeds slightly push embed into the cp soap to ensure they don’t fall off.

FullSizeRender%2042_zpsy3kkilld.jpg

At this point, I sprayed the top with rubbing alcohol, glittered her up, and put her to bed. I put Saran wrap over the top, and set it aside. Even though this is a GM soap, I do not mind if this soap gels.

FullSizeRender%2043_zps18ym27cq.jpg

FullSizeRender%2044_zpsdxtsofhy.jpg

If when cutting you get a little bit of an ammonia smell from the GM don't worry, that will fade away as the soap is curing, and you will have your lovely scent left.

And now here is the finished product. Smells great, and will be a skin loving, lovely soap.

image_zpson6axdfb.jpeg

image_zpsfzzqb1q2.jpeg

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

I hope you enjoyed this month’s SOTM!

The great thing about this is, it can translate to any embedded soap, or any modified GM soap.  And if your recipe will allow, you can also save some soap and pipe on top of the soap as well.

Have fun, and get creative!! There are a million different things you can do with embeds. J

(BTW - this soap was also supposed to have little orange pumpkins - which is why there is orange in the soap - and I forgot to put those embeds in the soap. :( they would have been so cute too!! 

FullSizeRender%2045_zps6z7viqdx.jpg

• Like 7

• Candybee pinned and featured this topic
On 9/1/2016 at 1:36 PM, Terry said:

Really cute JCA!!  This looks like a soap I would attempt - just got to find out where to buy the GM.  I see it is CP.  How long do you need to cure it for before cutting?

I cut within 18-24 hours, but cure for 6-8 weeks. before using/selling. I do this with my CP and HP soaps. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 5:27 PM, puma52 said:

Awesome SOTM JCandleattic!! It is just so fun to see what everyone makes. I love your colors and the embeds make the soap bar pop!! :)

Thanks Puma! It's a good alternative to a full GM soap, because this way it's less prone to overheating and scorching while making. 

• Like 1

• TallTayl unfeatured and unpinned this topic