Blending w/PoB

CBeardly

I've been using Pillar of Bliss for my tarts, but I'm not happy with the hot throw, it doesn't seem consistent (I know it can vary with FO) or to last very long. I've tried other vendor wax & it seems to be so much better. I recently tried blending a small percentage of 6006 with the PoB to see if it made a difference. It does make the wax easier to cut which is nice, but so far that's all I've noticed. I know experimenting is all a part of it, but I hate feeling like I'm wasting so much product.  :(

Thanks for any help.  :)

I use POB for my melts and rarely have a FO that doesn't throw with it. I use oils from NG, CS, FC and RE. I heat to 190-195, add FO at 180, stir for 2 mins, and give it another quick stir when it reaches the 155 mark and then pour. I use between 6-8% fragrance load depending on the FO and it's awesome every time. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently melting some that I made 3 weeks ago & I can barely smell it & it's just a few feet away. It's FO from NG & I used 10%. I do the same as you as far as heating, adding FO, & stirring, etc. I've used FO from NG, RE, WSP, MO, & BB. How long do you cure your melts? I know it states that PoB doesn't need a cure, but I still do. They do get better after a really long cure. I mean a *really* long cure, like months long. But my nose doesn't think it's as good as the wax from other vendors.

On August 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM, CBeardly said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently melting some that I made 3 weeks ago & I can barely smell it & it's just a few feet away. It's FO from NG & I used 10%. I do the same as you as far as heating, adding FO, & stirring, etc. I've used FO from NG, RE, WSP, MO, & BB. How long do you cure your melts? I know it states that PoB doesn't need a cure, but I still do. They do get better after a really long cure. I mean a *really* long cure, like months long. But my nose doesn't think it's as good as the wax from other vendors.

I cure for about a week to be on the safe side. Maybe cut back on the fragrance load? I wonder if you just have candle nose? Give to a friend or family member to test to be sure it's not just that you've grown accustomed to it. 

I do plan to experiment with a lower FO %. It certainly couldn't hurt. My husband claims to not be able to smell anything either, but his nose might be affected too. It's been remarkably difficult to find testers. I couldn't tell you how much product I've sent out & I've gotten feedback on exactly two individual melts by two different people. One person claimed hers was so strong that it made her sick with a respiratory illness after melting it for five hours (???) & the other one said she couldn't smell anything when she melted it & wouldn't try any more. I have two/three more people that said they would test for me this week. Wish me luck.  :-)

• Like 1

Yes good luck. I've had the same issues with some of my testers. I'll give the same thing to 5 people and get 5 completely different responses. But I've never had anyone say they couldn't smell the stuff I've made with POB. The NG Sage & Sea Salt is the only one that comes to mind of being kind of light, but it's perfect for my customers that want a lighter background type of scent. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I made some wax tarts with soy wax and felt the fragrance was too mild... Then I read up that the throw is not so good with soy wax and I made some with paraffin wax ,used some vybar to get a good throw ..... I used 30 mls of orange essential oil in about half kg of wax. It still does not have a good throw....please help! What am I doing wrong?

On 8/21/2016 at 11:43 AM, CBeardly said:

It could be so many things. You need to identify all possible issues and eliminate them one by one. Could be....your process, your wax melter wattage, your hvac system, your sq footage, the FO load being too high or too low, a particular FO not having a good throw with soy or in general....on and on. Research eveytbing that can cause a poor scent throw. This forum is the best place to stay research, reading old posts. 

POB generally has a very good hot and cold throw. I've mixed it with just about every paraffin out there, with varied results. You will have to do your own blending and test. This hobby is all about testing. There is no way to save money or to keep from wasting product. I could tell you my formula exactly but that doesn't mean it will work for you....what works well for some doesn't work well for others. 

I will say that POB is the same as KY tart wax and 650 Problend. So no need to test these, as all 3 are the exact same wax. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2017 at 3:43 AM, Nickie said:

It could be so many things. You need to identify all possible issues and eliminate them one by one. Could be....your process, your wax melter wattage, your hvac system, your sq footage, the FO load being too high or too low, a particular FO not having a good throw with soy or in general....on and on. Research eveytbing that can cause a poor scent throw. This forum is the best place to stay research, reading old posts. 

POB generally has a very good hot and cold throw. I've mixed it with just about every paraffin out there, with varied results. You will have to do your own blending and test. This hobby is all about testing. There is no way to save money or to keep from wasting product. I could tell you my formula exactly but that doesn't mean it will work for you....what works well for some doesn't work well for others. 

I will say that POB is the same as KY tart wax and 650 Problend. So no need to test these, as all 3 are the exact same wax. 

the above posters are totally right: eliminate one variable at a time. The first to knock out is the FO. Put a few drops of FO on the melter with a little salt, oil, whatever. If you can smell it strongly with that bare minimum, then work on identifying the next variable: the conditions the wax needs to perform well. It could just be the temp of your melter not being in sync with what the wax blend requires. 

I'd not jump to vybar as a solution without totally exhausting all other possibilities. Vybar is a polymer that allows some waxes to hold more scent, not necessarily to throw more scent. It can bond with the scent preventing it from releasing into the air where you want it.