12 cavity clamshells

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Do you know of anyone who sells 12 cavity clamshell melts (already made/filled)? I would like to buy one or two just to see the size of the package and get an idea of how much it holds. All I could find online is sellers of the package, not melts already made. TIA

I looked on Etsy once and after 30 some pages gave up.  I did find a lady that makes a breakaway loaf type melt that has 10 melts, can't really call them cavities though.

Do you currently use the deeper 6 cavity?  I remember wanting to try those but most using them advertised them as 4 oz melts and I was hoping for double the standard clamshell.

• Like 1

I found these online but didn't read any specifics/ price etc - I didn't even know there was such a thing. Glad you asked, now Im interested in these as well :)

http://candlepackagingusa.com/12-cavity-melt-clamshell-clear-pet.html

https://villagecraftandcandle.com/12-cavity-clam-shell

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Candle-Making/Display-Boxes

Edited by Moonstar
adding more info

30 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I found these online but didn't read any specifics/ price etc - I didn't even know there was such a thing. Glad you asked, now Im interested in these as well :)

http://candlepackagingusa.com/12-cavity-melt-clamshell-clear-pet.html

https://villagecraftandcandle.com/12-cavity-clam-shell

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Candle-Making/Display-Boxes

I think she's looking for the actual filled in melts, and not just the shells. 

I could only find any them already filled in qty's of 3, 6 and of all things, 11 but no 12 anywhere. I thought for sure Walmart would have some, but I could only find the 11 cavity shells. So weird.. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I found them online somewhere last night and they list the nt wt as 3.6 oz. That makes no sense to me. Also found a 10 cavity clam that holds 10 oz. My wholesale client buys the large 6 cavity clams from me, they hold 6 oz when they are filled to the very top. I wonder if I can fill the 12 cavity clam with 4 oz. I don't know if I've spoiled my market customers with the molded cubes, but so many of them like the smaller pieces. I think they would reject the large 6 cavity clam. I'll continue to look for them. Thanks for the replies!

Maybe if you email some of the supplies that sell the bigger clamshells they could send you a few samples in different sizes. Ive ordered samples from companies

so I can visually see if it'll work for me + most are able to accommodate requests like that. Doesn't hurt to try . Let us know what you find :) 

Guest OldGlory

Mdthermoform.com will send samples - they've sent me some before. I wanted to circumvent that lag time and buy one or two already made so I could see how full it is, how much it weighs, the overall size, etc. I may just bite the bullet and buy the 400 min. I would go thru that in a few months.

It's weird that we can't find them filled, somebody must be buying them or they'd be discontinued.  I was just at Walmart yesterday and didn't see anything but the standard 6.

I did find this on ebay 10 cavity, 8 oz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jumbo-Large-Scented-Wax-Tarts-Melts-Handmade-8-oz-10pc-Clamshell-You-Pick-Scent-/191633347393?var=&hash=item2c9e3cd341:m:m41nnDcpXt1D57MSBXUE95Q

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I went to that link - and now I have a new question. How do you (anyone) fill your clamshells? Do you fill past the cavity? I fill the container to the top, which overfills each cavity. Still easy to break the individual pieces.

I overfill as well, it's easy enough to push them out from the bottom and some of the top crumbles a bit but it's all usable wax.  I get almost 3 oz in the standard clamshell, I don't like to fill to the point where it's hard to close.

I think those 10 cavity would easily hold 10 oz if filled over the dividers.

Edited by kandlekrazy

On August 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM, OldGlory said:

I went to that link - and now I have a new question. How do you (anyone) fill your clamshells? Do you fill past the cavity? I fill the container to the top, which overfills each cavity. Still easy to break the individual pieces.

On August 11, 2016 at 11:14 AM, OldGlory said:

Mdthermoform.com will send samples - they've sent me some before. I wanted to circumvent that lag time and buy one or two already made so I could see how full it is, how much it weighs, the overall size, etc. I may just bite the bullet and buy the 400 min. I would go thru that in a few months.

Is the spelling correct on this ... tried to look it up with no luck :( You have me intrigued now - I truly had no idea that extra LG clamshells existed.

I do not know any indie wax vendor in the wax community that sells 12 cavity so no luck finding any you can buy. In the online wax community, clamshells have fallen out of favor and shaped melts have become favored. 

Empty ones I found (you probably found both of these already):

http://candlepackagingusa.com/12-cavity-melt-clamshell-clear-pvc-with-hanger-hole.html

Or these but the 3,000 case is something! The shape is cute.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12-Cavity-plastic-wax-clamshell-packaging_60232411236.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, justajesuschick said:

I do not know any indie wax vendor in the wax community that sells 12 cavity so no luck finding any you can buy. In the online wax community, clamshells have fallen out of favor and shaped melts have become favored. 

Empty ones I found (you probably found both of these already):

http://candlepackagingusa.com/12-cavity-melt-clamshell-clear-pvc-with-hanger-hole.html

Or these but the 3,000 case is something! The shape is cute.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12-Cavity-plastic-wax-clamshell-packaging_60232411236.html

I swear I learn SO much from these forums ! You guys are truly a wealth of information - thank you :) What do you mean by shaped melts and how are they 

packaged to retain their scent ? Do you think placed loosely in muslin/cotton bags would work or would they loose their scent to easily ? Im going to try to 

google shaped melts so I get get a visual . Btw ... how safe is ordering through Aliba, Im trying to find aromatherapy lockets. I recently saw some at a craft

show, with a weaved/open design + a felt piece inside to infuse w/ EO - they sold very well . Its raining like crazy today TG - so its a perfect day to google LOL !

Guest OldGlory

Moonstar, I apologize - it's mdthermo.com. And I think it's the same product as candlepackagingusa.com.

I have silicone molds that I pour wax into, and then I package them. See below.

I do think cotton or muslin bags would allow the scent to escape. Better to use cello or polypropylene bags.

I have one of those aromatherapy locket/necklaces - bought it at a bookstore in Boone, NC I think.

IMG_20160806_091240-1.jpg

Thanks OldGlory :) Wow - your display is so nice, such a great selection. I want to sell the aromatherapy lockets if I can find descent ones wholesale

but Im nervous about buying from Aliba .... maybe I shouldn't be. thanks again for your help !

On 8/13/2016 at 9:44 AM, Moonstar said:

What do you mean by shaped melts and how are they  packaged to retain their scent ? Do you think placed loosely in muslin/cotton bags would work or would they loose their scent to easily ? Im going to try to 

google shaped melts so I get get a visual .

They are packaged either how OG shows them in bakery bags and tie top polypropylene bags or individual shapes are packaged in polypro zip top bags. I can imagine that the individual ones would get quite smudgey when handled in a store but are super popular with online customers. We pack them in boxes and they arrive at their destination so no shop wear.

To not be rude and post things which are not relevant to the original intent of this thread, I can give you links to my website for examples of shaped melts as well as those of some of my online Vendor peers who do shaped melts well via PM if you are interested. This vendor (not my product and not my pic-online customers post pics of the orders they receive in BIG wax enthusiasts Facebook groups!!) has incredibly beautiful shaped melts. Look at her roses!

CLK roses.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoldieMN said:

OMG those are beautiful!  

I would love to see your website!  I do not think it rude as we all love hearing/seeing even if we can't smell. ;)

Goldie

Links to websites are not permitted in the forum. My wax is naked so I do not have anything as lovely as that vendor's roses. Her roses (well, she has a bunch of beautiful shaped melts) are just exquisite and highly sought after as you can imagine!

Back to the 12-cavity clamshell topic!!

Guest OldGlory

I love seeing others creations, don't think it's rude at all. Lots of threads go off track and that's where you find some fabulous information.

Those are stunning melts! I don't think I could melt them down, lol.

My market customers like simple, and inexpensive. They would roll their eyes at me if I showed up with something as beautiful as the ones pictured. Customers will always let you know if you're giving them what they want.

2 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

My market customers like simple, and inexpensive. They would roll their eyes at me if I showed up with something as beautiful as the ones pictured. Customers will always let you know if you're giving them what they want.

True!

I think mine may be better suited for boutique stores and your type of markets. Online customers as a group, generally likes lots of color, unique and elaborate shapes (some vendors offer a small bowl, fruit loops cereal pieces, milk and a spoon-ALL made of scented wax, as example) and lots of embeds and glitter! My simple, naked wax has as much following as I can manage nights and weekends, so it works out. I certainly admire the work of those of you who use beautiful colors!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justajesuschick said:

They are packaged either how OG shows them in bakery bags and tie top polypropylene bags or individual shapes are packaged in polypro zip top bags. I can imagine that the individual ones would get quite smudgey when handled in a store but are super popular with online customers. We pack them in boxes and they arrive at their destination so no shop wear.

To not be rude and post things which are not relevant to the original intent of this thread, I can give you links to my website for examples of shaped melts as well as those of some of my online Vendor peers who do shaped melts well via PM if you are interested. This vendor (not my product and not my pic-online customers post pics of the orders they receive in BIG wax enthusiasts Facebook groups!!) has incredibly beautiful shaped melts. Look at her roses!

CLK roses.jpg

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

For what it's worth...

I got a reply from mdthermo.com regarding the capacity of the 12 cavity clamshell, and they claim it's 6.36 oz. I don't know if that's a weight measurement or a fluid oz measurement. However, I am inclined to believe that it would hold close to 6 oz. of weight in wax/fo.

OldGlory I emailed them + they were kind enough to send me a sample of the 12 cavity. Cant wait to get this .Thanks again for sharing the link :) 

From what I see extra L clamshells like this or similar sell for around $10 .. does that seem about right ? So when you sell larger ones like this OG 

you then don't offer a traditional 4 or 6 cavity ... am I understanding you correctly ?