Fragrance loads

Birch

Hello. I have been out of the candle business for many years and would appreciate some advice. I just started up again and added wax melts to the mix. I seems things have changed over the years. My question pertains to fragrance loads in wax melts. I apologize if this has been covered already. I know there are a lot of variables, but is it a waste of product to go over a 10% load? I have a customer that wants 15%. They will pay and its their private label so it’s not about the money. Just curious if there is a point when adding more fragrance doesn’t make a difference. Thanks for viewing.

Will totally depend on your wax and FO. But, seriously, why is a customer dictating FO load? Some of my FO will water your eyes at 5%, anything more is a total waste for those. 

if she wants super strong, suggest the fragrance oils in a carrier, like fractionated coconut oil and/or DPG at much higher concentrations. And those command a higher price as well as are so much easier to manufacture.

Guest OldGlory

There's a lot of info on the subject in the wickless section.

What you and your customer don't seem to be taking into account is that 10% of some FOs will blow the doors off, while 20% of others will just be a very nice scent. The intensity of different FOs varies at the same %. Further, not everyone's scent receptors are the same, so even with consistent loads, different people will pick up the scent differently. Could be that your demanding customer will be dissatisfied with 15% of some FOs. It's hard to educate some customers.

TallTayl.

Thank you for your reply. As far as this customer, I’ve known her for a long time and this started as more of a favor. I normally do not do business like this. Can you recommend

ratios to work with when using coconut oil or DPG? I have never worked with either one.

OldGlory.

I will definitely read more in this section. At this point, I will probably just present samples and see where it goes. I think education and some trial and error will get this resolved. Thank you.

Guest OldGlory
4 hours ago, Birch said:

OldGlory.

I will definitely read more in this section. At this point, I will probably just present samples and see where it goes. I think education and some trial and error will get this resolved. Thank you.

I hope it works out for you. What I was willing to do when I started my business is far different than what I am willing to do now.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the other two on saying 15% may be waaaay too much.  I usually try to keep my FO within .2-.4 oz of what my wax is.  For example, if I am using 16 oz of wax,  I will go somewhere between 1.2-1.4oz of FO,  I haven't passed that point.  It also varies because some FO's are more concentrated than others and some are more watered down, the place you buy from matters too.  The 15% may make your wax cool poorly and be almost an oily texture from my experience (with soy wax).

Hope you can find a nice balance and come to a resolution with your customer :)