Best oderless wax melts?

SCOFFEE

Hello, I'm a newbie. Please forgive me if this has already been asked :)

After some research on what was a good wax for melts, I decided on IGI 4794 mixed with IGI 4633 (J223).

I've tried 2 different ratios: Both 1 ounce per pound.

4794/4633

70/30%

And

50/50%

Here's the problem, both end up having a cheap, petroleum jelly smell! 

Any input would be great, ty!

Edited by SCOFFEE

After some research on what was a good wax for melts, I decided on trying IGI 4794 mixed with IGI 4633 (J223).

I've tried 2 different ratios: Both 1 ounce per pound.

4794/4633

70/30%

And

50/50%

Here's the problem, both end up having a cheap, petroleum jelly smell! 

Any input would be great, ty!

Im pretty new to this. Maybe I didnt add the Fo while it was hot enough. Not sure if that would cause an odd smell or not? I added FO around 155-160. You had mentioned on another thread that you like 4625 better than the 4794, correct? 

As far as 4630 and 4633, can you tell a difference?  I'm debating on trying the 4625 mixing it with 4633... I would love to have a formula that gives a strong, long lasting HT :)

Yes, 1oz of fragrance per pound of wax.

I've tried 2 scents from Lonestar candle supply.

Autumn Lodge and Plum Blush.

Not sure if temperature plays a role, I added FO @ 160?

Im waiting on some FO from Peak to arrive, maybe they will do the trick. Hmmmm

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Do you mean 1 oz of fragrance? If so, what fragrance are you using? That could be what is causing the odor. We need a little more info first though. What scent, from where, etc., 

Yes, 1oz of fragrance per pound of wax.

I've tried 2 scents from Lonestar candle supply.

Autumn Lodge and Plum Blush.

Not sure if temperature plays a role, I added FO @ 160?

Im waiting on some FO from Peak to arrive, maybe they will do the trick. Hmmmm

5 hours ago, Belinda said:

I've mixed those two before but don't remember having that smell. Currently I'm mixing 4625 with 4630. Can wax go bad? Maybe that's what's happened.

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I hope you can get this resolved.

Im pretty new to this. Maybe I didnt add the Fo while it was hot enough. Not sure if that would cause an odd smell or not? I added FO around 155-160. You had mentioned on another thread that you like 4625 better than the 4794, correct? 

As far as 4630 and 4633, can you tell a difference?  I'm debating on trying the 4625 mixing it with 4633... I would love to have a formula that gives a strong, long lasting HT :)

I'm not familiar with these particular scents from LoneStar, but I do use quite a few of theirs and haven't had any issues. I have had weird melted crayon smelling melts in the past (after the scent faded) and that was a wax issue, not the FO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Faerywren said:

I'm not familiar with these particular scents from LoneStar, but I do use quite a few of theirs and haven't had any issues. I have had weird melted crayon smelling melts in the past (after the scent faded) and that was a wax issue, not the FO.

Now that you mention it, I didn't get the petroleum/crayon smell right away. Maybe 2 hrs after being in the warmer... 

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Do you mean 1 oz of fragrance? If so, what fragrance are you using? That could be what is causing the odor. We need a little more info first though. What scent, from where, etc., 

The wax came from Lonestar also. 

I have used 4630 and 4633 and couldn't tell a difference in the two. I like 4625 because to me it has a longer throw than 4794.

If you're adding FO at that low of a temp then that's probably your problem. You should add FO around 180-185 for it to mix in with the wax.

Try adding at a hotter temp and see if that helps. Also, I mentioned on another thread that I would be glad to send you some FO samples. Just message me or respond here and let me know what you would like to try. I love bakery scents and that's mostly what I have but I do have a lot of other scents too and I don't mind sharing and helping you get started. Testing is very expensive!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

If you're adding FO at 160 then your oil probably isn't mixing with the wax. I add FO at 180-185 and sometimes have to go up to 190 depending on the oil. 

Try doing that and see if it helps.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip, will do! 

8 hours ago, SCOFFEE said:

Scentsy 25 watt. Too high?

No.

Not certain your plans but if you plan to sell online and to those in the Facebook wax community (consumers/melters of wax-not speaking about makers of wax), invest in a Glade warmer for testing. The FB wax world is hardcore. They seek the hottest warmers they can find and there are regularly posts about warmers and wattage.

Nearly none use lightbulb warmers. Local customers (less than 5% of my business-the rest is online) use bulb warmers as most know Scentsy. I tested wax blends with both bulb and plate style warmers to be certain I had something that would work well for both. 

The Glade warmers are about $10 and can be found at Family Dollar, Walmart and Target. My grocery store even carries them. You may find them in the air fresher aisle, not in with candles depending on store set up.

Thank you so much for this tip! I'll deff try to find. Glade warmer such as this one?

I have a few scentsy warmers, 25 watt bulbs. What's the difference between the 2? Most people that place orders usr Scentsy style warmers or hot plate ? Or the hot plate you spoke about. Hot plate is electric where you put a jar candle on top of or is it the style that you use a tealight candle beneath?  

Again, ty for sharing your knowledge :)

Edited by SCOFFEE

42 minutes ago, SCOFFEE said:

Thank you so much for this tip! I'll deff try to find. Glade warmer such as this one?

I have a few scentsy warmers, 25 watt bulbs. What's the difference between the 2? Most people that place orders usr Scentsy style warmers or hot plate ? Or the hot plate you spoke about. Hot plate is electric where you put a jar candle on top of or is it the style that you use a tealight candle beneath?  

Again, ty for sharing your knowledge :)

This is a Glade warmer. It is a ceramic dish with sits atop a hot plate. Wax warms in the ceramic dish. It is electric. Cord is just not visible in these stock pics.

glade 1.jpg

glade.jpg

• Like 2