Are there any real craftshows left?

mindy5140

I've been wanting to get back into craftshows BUT I can't because they are over run with Direct Sales businesses. I keep getting told they only allow 2 of the same types of businesses. I honestly don't see how I fit in the same category, lol... Kidding, I understand a candle is a candle to them. Just wondering if this is only happening where I live in PA or if it's all over the place?

It everywhere Direct sales people have pretty much taken over the craft shows which is sad they have for year suppose to be for crafter to sell the products they make but that has changed. I only know of 2 with a 150 miles radius of here that has crafts and crafts only. There use to be 3 but a couple of year ago they started letting direct sales in.

I see a lot of that but only in the very lax craft shows. There are still some around that are for crafters only. My guess is that the shows have to fill the spaces and end up letting in some of those direct sales reps. I really don't mind because I am too busy at the shows I do. I still do several good quality shows that don't allow them.

Here in Atlanta there are plenty of craft shows that do not allow direct sales representatives. 

In my area I feel like there is a sudden growth in the handmade market. Come down to my neck of the woods and you will find lots of opportunities.

We don't see a rash of them in the Kansas/Missouri/Nebraska areas. I mean they are there, but not entirely. They leave shows before we do. However, if you want to get back into shows you might have to sign up for them earlier than you think. We have several shows though that don't take the direct sales people ... so we like the juried process more than the others. Still when there are direct sales people where we go, there's often 1-3 selling the same thing and they drown each other out. 
If candles are all that you offer, yeah they might think of you as another Scentsy or Yank, but there are ways around that too ... just add something else to your line like soap type of thing. We started out as candles only but have had to branch out to other things to have more draw to our booth and to get through that really tough period that started in 2008 and hasn't improved all that much since. 

Ohhhh I need to move lol.... Western PA is jam packed with Direct Sales such as Scentsy, pink zebra, etc... I understand they are working their business but I gotta work mine too.. It shouldn't be called a craft show, instead a Direct Sales show. I know a lot of people will be disappointed with shows just full of them instead of actual crafts. I have been thinking of adding onto my line, maybe I should so next summer I'll have something else to offer..

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2016 at 11:39 PM, mindy5140 said:

Ohhhh I need to move lol.... Western PA is jam packed with Direct Sales such as Scentsy, pink zebra, etc... I understand they are working their business but I gotta work mine too.. It shouldn't be called a craft show, instead a Direct Sales show. I know a lot of people will be disappointed with shows just full of them instead of actual crafts. I have been thinking of adding onto my line, maybe I should so next summer I'll have something else to offer..

I also understand women who are in direct sales need business as well, but I 210% agree with you regarding people being disappointed in shows being full of direct sales vs handmade crafting.  I actually used to be in direct sales MANY years ago for a short period of time and had several comments of people that were downright annoyed being asked to purchase direct sales items.  That is what brought me back to making my own items and I feel so much better that I can be proud of something I made and not trying to sell what I dont fully stand by just to make a buck.  I give some of those women credit though, their persistence pays off as some of them are at the top of the ladder getting company cars, trips n such.

This is an old thread, but I will chime in anyway, to give my .02 on my take of the craft shows I do. 

I do 4 craft shows a year, and 3 of them are run by the same outfit and are huge. They truly are handmade only. The organizers are always walking around during set up, and if they see any direct sales type items they will ask the vendor to leave, and give the space to the vendors next to them. 

I know this has become an anomaly, and is not the norm anymore, but I am very picky about the craft shows I do as I don't want to waste my time/money/effort. And it's also why I only do the 4 a year. 

As something slightly more than a hobbyist, but slightly less than a full blown business, these 4 shows keep me going for the year with a bit of a profit on the year, so I'm good with that. 

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

This is an old thread, but I will chime in anyway, to give my .02 on my take of the craft shows I do. 

I do 4 craft shows a year, and 3 of them are run by the same outfit and are huge. They truly are handmade only. The organizers are always walking around during set up, and if they see any direct sales type items they will ask the vendor to leave, and give the space to the vendors next to them. 

I know this has become an anomaly, and is not the norm anymore, but I am very picky about the craft shows I do as I don't want to waste my time/money/effort. And it's also why I only do the 4 a year. 

This.  Ditto.