Wax suggestions

katmeltswax

Hello to a all members, I make wax melts.I was wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on a wax addition to cbl 129 for tarts? I like this wax ,just wanted to add another to it for better appearance. I make my melts in silicone molds. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Thank you Belinda , I appreciate the response. I do like the 129 because ho throw is superb ,with most fragrances .I just was wanting to make the melts look a bit smoother . I find most scents work well in this wax ,excluding bakery. I have a lot of wax ruined ,due to no throw ,mostly bakery type .I love bakery & hope to find a wax to add to my 129 to make them perform & look better. I will try a little 4625 & see if this helps. Do you have a problem with the tart melting when using 4625 alone? The melting point is so high with that one. The 129 is 131 melt point. I have been reading this forum for a long time & decided to go ahead & jump in with my question. I hate changing wax after settling on 129 ,but I have to have bakery scents ,love love ,love them . I like a melt to last at least 10 hours & often wonder how some venders get 24 hours out of theirs. I have been playing around with blends for a long while & settled on the 129 ,just wish bakery scents would bind better . I do have some  bakery that do well with 129 ,just more duds than wins . I use oils from Peak ,Aztec ,Tennessee ,Candlesource & many more. I will be starting wax chunks soon. I think 4630 has a great throw & was wandering if this wax alone would be ok to make chunks ? Thank you so much for your advice ,hope more will chime in on the 129 wax blend . I love a long lasting melt & still working to get the performance I want . I have so many oils I need to put into the wax. I thought chunks would be a great way to use fragrance oils faster ,combine 2 or 3 scents & make chunk tarts. If any vendors with past experience have tried & used candlewics cbl129 , please chime in because I love feedback on wax . Thank you kindly, katmeltswax :) 

You're so welcome!

I have never had a problem with melts melting made with just 4625. It does take a little longer but they will melt. There's a woman that has a very successful online business selling just shaped tarts and they appear to be made using only 4625. I could be wrong about that but I've purchased from her on a couple of occasions when I first started out and have compared the look and texture of hers to mine made with that wax alone and they look the same. I do know for a fact that she uses that wax and I really believe she uses it as a stand alone wax for her product. I like it by itself too, especially when I put them in bags because they don't smear. I really hate that look! LOL! I use it alone and then sometimes I mix it with 4630. If I'm pouring into clamshells, I mix it with 4630 at a 50/50 ratio. 

As far as venders getting 24 hours from melts, are you sure they're melting them a full 24 hours or are they turning the warmer off at night and back on the next day? I've had them that would last that long but I really think it depends on the fragrance itself. When I give wax to our secretary at the school I work at, she will use some melts for two or three days before changing the warmer out. The scent is still there but it gets weaker the longer it's in there but you can still smell it when you open the office door. It's just my opinion but I really think the FO has a whole lot to do with that. Also, are you getting your wax hot enough to bind the oils with it? I know there are times that I have to get my wax, no matter which blend I'm using, hotter to get the FO the completely dissolve. Some bakery scents tend to need a little higher temp in my opinion to get them to bind. Sometimes there will still be wax floating in the bottom of my pour pot that hasn't mixed in and it seems some spicy scents and vanilla scents are bad about that. I can't recall exact ones off the top of my head but I do know some are harder to mix in.

I hope some of this helps you with your goal to make a great product! And remember, noses vary in what they call a good, strong scent. I've poured scents that I could barely smell and thought they were duds and the next person would comment about how strong it smelled! Also, when I walk into someone's classroom that's melting some of my wax or into the office at work, I get a better idea about how things really smell. You may want to get some friends or family to test them for you. We get overwhelmed with scents because we smell them all the time.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

So you use the 4625 in the pour pot and then when it melts add the color and fo and still keep it heating on the stove?

I was melting wax to desired temp and then adding color and oil after I took the pot off the stove.  not right??

Thanks

Wow thanks Belinda for the feedback. I have had oils remain in bottom as well. I think I tried adding around 188 some bakery scents to help the oil bind & it helped . I just have trouble with some scents not working with my 129. I purchased a 1 lb. Bottle of Vanilla Shortbread cookie CW ,I think that's the name,or something like it lol.Love the smell OOB , but no throw in the 129. I added oil at 180 , love the scent so may try different combo wax. I was thinking about cbl 141 Candlewick for melts as well. I had read good reviews on this votive pillar blend . I could try adding some 4630 to my 129 or 141 ,may get a good throw with this scent. I purchased so much and love it OOB. Hope some chime in on the 141 wax for melts. I will blend some 4625 with my 129 or 4630 and let you know my results with the Shortbread from Candlewic.Today I see they have a Anisette Cookie on sale,shipping is so high for me to South,Tx from CW , but I do have to order the 129 and may try the 141 on my next order. If anyone has used the 141 hope to see some feedback results for tart melts. Your so fast with response and very helpful. Thanks to you and everyone who can give me advice with the 129 and 141   CW wax. I love making melts and want to start chunks soon.You have been a great help .

Glad I could help.

So you're in South Texas? Where? I'm in Cleveland Texas, about 50 miles north of Houston. We're neighbors!

I haven't used Candle Wic's wax but it seems I read on here (and I could be wrong) that it's the same as IGI wax. I'm thinking the CBL 129 is the same as 4794 and the CBL 141 is the same as 4625, but I could be totally wrong about that.

Sugared Vanilla Shortbread is a great FO and I've never had any problems with it not throwing. It's also one of those that seems to settle in the bottom of the pour pot so maybe adding FO at 190 would help. The good thing about pouring in molds is you don't have to let the wax cool off a whole lot before you pour! Just stir for 2 minutes and pour!

Hope you have better luck!

• Like 1

I am in a small town called Ganado ,near Victoria.I am about 30 minutes from Port Lavaca near the gulf waters.I grew up in Houston and very familiar with Cleveland.We had a lake house in Onalaska and recently sold it to move back home here in the South.My mom grew up in Teneha and she had a huge family.We really are neighbors lol.My Dad lived in Cypress so very close to Cleveland.I used to go to the Trade days in Livingston before I moved home. Well glad to meet you ? Belinda.The wax world will certainly keep a person busy.I find it is addictive and fun.I do know the 129 has some bright white wax mixed in it ,not it would be IGI or not ,would love to know.I could save on shipping cost if it were 4625 .CandlewickI ship cost to me is sky high.I usually wait for shipping sale code & buy 100 lbs at a time ,due to shipping is killer on the pocketbook.I love the 129 for the most part ,but would switch if I could find another wax I liked as well as the 129. It probably performs well ,except for some scents just will not perform. I will try mixing some 4625 in with it and see what happens.The bakery scents give me a problem with this wax the most.Thanks for your advice.I was hoping some more venders would chime in on this issue.I love learning about wax and making tarts.Thank you bunches,Kathy

• Like 1

On 7/1/2016 at 9:49 PM, Belinda said:

Glad I could help.

So you're in South Texas? Where? I'm in Cleveland Texas, about 50 miles north of Houston. We're neighbors!

I haven't used Candle Wic's wax but it seems I read on here (and I could be wrong) that it's the same as IGI wax. I'm thinking the CBL 129 is the same as 4794 and the CBL 141 is the same as 4625, but I could be totally wrong about that.

Sugared Vanilla Shortbread is a great FO and I've never had any problems with it not throwing. It's also one of those that seems to settle in the bottom of the pour pot so maybe adding FO at 190 would help. The good thing about pouring in molds is you don't have to let the wax cool off a whole lot before you pour! Just stir for 2 minutes and pour!

Hope you have better luck!

Thanks Belinda, I will try adding some 4625 to my 129. Do you think 25% will do it ,or should I do 50/50 ?Any suggestions to make a longer lasting melt would be helpful. The 129 makes a super strong melt , just does not last as long as I would like. I appreciate your advice. I will be glad when I can be satisfied 100% with my melts. I have alot of oils accumulated, such a addiction lol. You have been so kind and I thank you. I am crossing my fingers the 4625 will do the trick. Members please chime in if you have any suggestions on a wax to blend with CW cbl 129. Wax melts.

I'm not sure if any of us are ever 100% satisfied with our wax products LOL! I do know what you mean though. 

I think I would try a 50/50 combo and see how that goes. 4625 does have longevity in my opinion. That's why I use it instead of 4794. It had immediate hot throw but didn't last as long as 4625 (just my opinion though).

Wow! I have probably run into you if you've been to Livingston Trade Days! What a small world. I work at Shepherd ISD and my son preaches in Livingston. You've been in our neck of the woods a lot!

• Like 1

It is a small world & yes I am sure we have crossed paths at Trade Days . I did not sell at Trade days ,just used to browse .I lived in Onalaska a couple of years ,so we used to go & look at all the goodies out there. My brother had kidney cancer & passed away in 2015 . He would come stay with us at the lake house with his wife & we would all go to Trade days. He loved life & was only 56 when he passed. I lost both my parents & my brother all in a 2 year time period. After all the tragic loss ,I got into the addictive wax adventure. I love wax melts & wanted to make my own ,so been pouring a couple of years now. I have 2 brothers left ,along with my hubby ,adult children & 3 grandkids. I had to find something to do with my time ,the loss was so hard & all 3 so close together . We were all very close. I keep my faith in God always .My mom always told me God has his plans for us all & never doubt this. I went thru a severe depression for a long time . I am much better & love staying busy with my wax projects. Well back to the subject I started , wax blends. I did add 25% 4625 to the 129 , turned out better. I was thinking about trying a blend of 129 & 4630 .Do you think maybe 50/50 would make a good tart with bakery scents? I love 4630 wax , but like you hate the smudges on the bags. I want to make chunks & will be using the 4630 & maybe a little bit of 4625 added for the chunk melts. I have to be able to slice the chunks ,so cannot add to much 4625 ,maybe 25% would be ok. I love 129 for the tarts in silicone molds , just have such a problem with the bakery scents. I weighed 12oz. 129 & 4 oz. of 4625 ,heated wax to 190 & added my oil. I used sugar cookie Tennessee ,tarts did turn out better. The appearance was much better & the throw was good .I do think the duration time depends on the fragrance oil. I think I will try 50-50 129 & 4630 just to see what happens. I have a pound of Vanilla shortbread cookie ,so really trying to get a good throw with this one. I appreciate your advice & love to learn all I can about wax. I have used soy 415 & blended with 4630 a long while back ,but do not like the cure time. I did have great results with the sugar cookie ,just do not have a weeks worth of patience lol. I may end up with the 4630 & 4625 blend due to shipping cost from Candlwic to Tx is so costly. I can get the others at a much lower cost from a different supplier. I just hate to give up the 129 ,love the wax , just wanted some cosmetic improvements. It does have the sink ,but adding some 4625 did improve the looks a lot. I often wonder if others have settled on their wax ,or do they keep experimenting with blends. I have tested so many .I sounds like you are happy with your blend . I feel blessed to have a neighbor like you to join me in this wax journey. Thank you Belinda ,God Bless .

I really hate to hear about the loss of your family members. I know it's had to have been a hard thing for you and other family. I'm glad you're doing better though and this wax journey will help you!

This hobby/side job, is so very addicting! As soon as I think I've settled on a wax blend then I go off on something else LOL! My favorite though for silicone tarts is 4625 either alone or mixed with a little 4630 or even a little bit of Candle Source's tart wax. When I first tried theirs I didn't much care for it but now I love it! I'm just real wishy washy I guess, can't make a decision. I really do like it for clamshells but for silicone molds I will mix it with some 4625, only because it's a little too soft in my opinion. It's probably very similar to the one you use from Candle Wic because the melt point is about the same.

I know what you mean about the shipping from them. It's terrible! But, I think you can call your order in and they will offer cheaper shipping.

I do love their oils though!

I think if you mix 50/50 129 and 4630 for molded tarts you might think they're too soft. But that's probably just me. I think I would use 4625 for molded ones, personally. 

But here's the thing, what works for one doesn't always work for the other person! You might mix them and have outstanding results and love the outcome and settle on your wax choice! Maybe I will one day LOL!

I think if you were to buy wax from a vendor, the same scent as you use, and compare everything to your wax, I think you would be surprised at how well yours are doing. I melted some from a vendor that I got in a swap a while back and I was surprised that mine seemed stronger. Now granted, they use a para/soy and I think paraffin throws better (my opinion) but I was still surprised and it made me feel more confidant about my wax. 

I would be more than happy to send you some of mine that are made with the same oils as you are using and you can compare. It might make you feel better about your tarts.

Thank you Belinda, sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I am going to try the 129 with some 4625 blend.I may go 50/50 or maybe 75 /25 and see what happens. I do have some candlesource wax and did not like the appearance,to bumpy on top and a bit to soft ,it crumbles too. The throw was good thou. I will try mixing a blend of 129 and CS wax as well. I will let you know which blend wins lol. I also read on here where someone mixed the CS wax with some pillar wax and had great results ,so here is us both a something to experiment with lol. This wax journey us something else ,you and I have the same problem,cannot seem to settle on a wax .I think we often judge our own melts to harshly .I am looking forward to trying the blends , always looking for something better longer lasting ,stronger etc lol. I think it is all about being addicted and a little obsessive compulsive behavior  . I love this adventure and I thank you for your opinion and advice. I also want to make chunks with the 4630 and a tiny bit of 4625 ,love the throw of 4630 and duration if scent. I will keep you posted with my results.God Bless, Kathy

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello Katmeltswax~This is my first post I believe but I was just reading about the CBL 129 since I am experimenting with it now.  It is mentioned that it is possible it is the same as IGI 4794 and for me it sure does not seem to be THAT hard.  To me the 4794 is just way too hard to even break up.  The CBL 129 broke up fairly easy for me today.  Time will tell.  I made tarts and one jar candle.  I will say the color was fantastic for just being a yellow for Lemon Pound Cake.  I will let it cure and see how it turns out and share my results.  I hope you found your formula by now...lol...since it is now November.  I have not tried 4625 but plan to.  I have also found once I add the FO I have to stick the pot back in the water bath just to 175 "usually" to bind the FO to the wax :)  HTH

Cheri

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:49 PM, onehorsegirl said:

Welcome Cheri , I wanted to tell you I have been trying to figure out the CBL 129 for a while now .I think this wax is wonderful with most scents & love the results . I have used 4794 & your right it is hard as a brick LOL .... . I think it is possible that the 129 may be a blend of 4627 & 4794 or 4625 & 4627. I am going to do some blending & test results. I will let you know what kind of results I get with this test. I will tell you a blend of 4625 & 4630 makes a great tart as well... I think you would like the 4625 ,some use it alone for tarts , I add 50% 4630. Many crafters here use this blend for making wax tarts. I do love the CBL129 & still use it along with the other 2 blends. I wish the shipping were not so costly to me .I am in Texas . I do wait for shipping sales before ordering . I am a newbie here as well :)

You will love this board & meet many new friends .I will tell you that your going to be able to get some great advice & learn a lot here. I have found that there are many wonderful crafters here & some with many years of experience.I have never had to put my pot back on the heat . I think if you add your FO at 185 you will find this method is best .This will bind your oil to the wax .I add FO at 185 & stir 2 mins  .The candle world however is a learning process .I only make them for my self & family .I have learned that wicking is a process & every scent has to be tested.  If you remain patience & keep trying , you will be successful with your candles. I use 4630 for my candles & have poured some good ones. I have also poured a lot of duds LOL . I like zinc & hemp wicks for candles . I have found that each FO requires different size wicks ,also depends on the container you chose. You are certainly in the right place to get advise . I welcome you & so glad to meet you :)

I will be waiting for your results with your tarts & candle. Keep pouring & never give up. God bless ,Kat

• Like 1