Wax Melts - Best wax

wthomas57

Hey everyone,

Ive been using 6006 for wax melts when I sell locally because everyone really likes the throw and longevity of it. Its also convenient because its my favorite wax for my container candles currently) The only problem is I cant ship these very well because of the softness. I want to experiment with new wax for melts and looking for suggestions on what you all think is the best as far as usability and scent throw. I am looking for both parrafin and soy suggestions. I prefer soy but if there aren't any soy waxes for melts that have a good throw, then Id rather use parrafin if that is the case.

thanks everyone

Soy wax alone is going to be on the softer side for summer shipping, but you can easily blend your current soy container wax with a soy pillar wax to get a firmer

wax for shipping purposes.  Or you can blend it with any other type of wax, I've even used palm with C3 when I shipped candles. 

Guest OldGlory

"BEST" of anything is relative and subjective.

There are tons of older threads about waxes used for melts, so I would suggest reading thru some of those to get ideas.

I have tried 416 for tarts in clamshells. The 416 is a stiffer wax and you will have frosting if you use dyes like I do. You can go with all 416 or you can blend it with a soy container wax until you find what works for you. What works for you is "best". The soy wax clams I make for my wholesale client are stable at 90 degrees F. I haven't tested them beyond that temp.

Be sure to wrap your melts in newspaper for insulation when shipping. Always ship on a Monday so they are not left on a hot loading dock somewhere over the weekend. Tell your customers that if the method of shipping they have chosen won't get them there by Friday that they'll have to go with UPS or FedEx three day shipping. And be SURE that they will never be left on a porch or doorstep in direct sunlight. They'll have a big mess on their hands if they are left in direct sunlight, and it doesn't really matter what kind of wax you used.

12 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

"BEST" of anything is relative and subjective.

There are tons of older threads about waxes used for melts, so I would suggest reading thru some of those to get ideas.

I have tried 416 for tarts in clamshells. The 416 is a stiffer wax and you will have frosting if you use dyes like I do. You can go with all 416 or you can blend it with a soy container wax until you find what works for you. What works for you is "best". The soy wax clams I make for my wholesale client are stable at 90 degrees F. I haven't tested them beyond that temp.

Be sure to wrap your melts in newspaper for insulation when shipping. Always ship on a Monday so they are not left on a hot loading dock somewhere over the weekend. Tell your customers that if the method of shipping they have chosen won't get them there by Friday that they'll have to go with UPS or FedEx three day shipping. And be SURE that they will never be left on a porch or doorstep in direct sunlight. They'll have a big mess on their hands if they are left in direct sunlight, and it doesn't really matter what kind of wax you used.

That's all true. And I guess I shouldn't have asked for "best" wax. I was really just curious what others had liked and used successfully. Ill dig through some older posts but sometimes I am hesitant doing that since things change and so do ingredients. :)  

I am glad you mentioned newspaper for wrapping. I was going to ask what is common packing material to use for insulation during shipping to help protect against heat. I have bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Not sure if those help or not to keep excess heat out. Any idea?

Do you get bulk newspaper from a supplier by chance or just use local scraps? Not real sure where to get a lot of it (for nothing or for little cost).

As far as shipping days.. I currently only ship Monday and Tuesdays during spring and summer. And then Monday through Thursday during fall and winter, so thats not a big problem for me. And I always use 2 day priority shipping through usps currently (unless they pay for 1 day shipping)

I've mixed 4625 and 4794 with 6006 before and liked it. I finally decided to go with straight paraffin though. Right now I use 4625 mixed with 4630. If it's in a clamshell then I use a little more 4630 than 4625. If I'm using a mold then I use more of 4625 and have  even used it by itself. 

I have given serious consideration to trying 4630 for container candles. I hadn't really considered it for melts, but I presume that is why you add 4625 to it.

That looks to be a good combo to try, although I thought 4625 only holds 6% which could be an issue. I typically use 8-9%.

Do you have a hardtime deciding on an FO load the wax will hold when you combine waxes like that with different max fragrance loads?

9 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I have given serious consideration to trying 4630 for container candles. I hadn't really considered it for melts, but I presume that is why you add 4625 to it.

That looks to be a good combo to try, although I thought 4625 only holds 6% which could be an issue. I typically use 8-9%.

Do you have a hardtime deciding on an FO load the wax will hold when you combine waxes like that with different max fragrance loads?

No, I use 1-1/2 ounces per pound even with this combo. I will occasionally have some seepage but it's usually been when the wax wasn't hot enough and the FO didn't mix in like it should have.  4630 will hold up to 10% so I'm guessing that's why it will still hold over 6% when you blend the two together. 

• Like 2