MLG

I think topic was posted some time (year or so) ago, but I wanted to see if anyone has actually tried this FO.  If so, what company did you choose and how did it work for you?  I've tried to search for this FO, but there doesn't seem to be too much info on it.  

I also found one from SaveOnScents, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money just yet - it seems fairly expensive.  However, I am getting quite a few requests for this scent.  It seems to me my choice of suppliers for this FO is very limited :(

I made a blend I call Sherlock's Study for the fantasy crowd I cater to that has the library elements as a background component. In my minds eye Sherlock would be sitting in a beaten leather chair surrounded by old, worn books as he smoked his pipe pondering the crazy collection of curious artifacts lining his shelves.

The notes I used for books were leather (I have a somewhat soft, sweet one versus the sharper leather that is more like a black jacket) and Vetyver (my Vetyver cafe from the co-op). Vetyver is a grass, and the scent in my co-op was heavy on the dry, almost baked grass similar to processed papyrus. The combo hit the mark well.

• Like 3

I have used a couple FOs that have a book smell to my nose. One is Satara Sandalwood from EBB. The other is Antique Sandalwood from CS. Antique Sandalwood smells like a combo of old musty attic and used books. Its actually very nice. Satara Sandalwood is a bit of a cleaner book and wood smell. I would think with the right sandalwood + leather combo you could have a really nice leather bound book scent.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3

I remember reading somewhere that the trick to the old aged book smell is actually to use a little fresh cut grass. The aroma chem responsible for that grass smell is also a byproduct smell created in old books combined with a sweetly vanillin aroma.  I would take the blend starting with the base notes and work your way up. Save on Scents fragrance isn't too far off, but they missed the mark when they added that cucumber note. In a lesser amount it would smell more like ink. I think that was their intention but used too much. 

For an old aged paper smell: I'd start with a leather and vanilla combo. But not a heady "new car" leather but instead an aged leather (mostly castoreum)  then add a mild almost nondescript heart note. Something like Lovage or Fenugreek (EOs will be easier to source). Lastly add in drops a bit of fresh cut grass and see what that does. Should get you pretty close. If you can source Seaweed Absolute.. (it's expensive) a little of that in a sandalwood leather vanilla combo would work too!

I haven't found anyone that actually has an old book fragrance oil. Yet. ;)

Edited by rctfavr3
  • Like 2

Just checked again and found more interesting info here: http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/06/01/newoldbooksmell/

The above link seems to indicate that the base smell is mostly a Tonka Bean aroma (Almond Powdery Vanilla) with slight hint of a dirty floral green note.

Maybe instead of Vanilla use a Tonka Bean FO. Put your mad scientist goggles on...It looks like it's time to experiment.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...