Creamy Sugar Scrub Recipe

TAH

Just wanted to share my sugar scrub recipe in thanks for all the recipes and info everyone here has shared.

Creamy Whipped Sugar Scrub

2.5 oz Virgin Coconut Oil

4.5 oz Shea Butter

1.5 oz Sweet Almond Oil

7 grams Optiphen Plus (or other preservative for oil based product, see usage rate for your choice of preservative from your supplier) 

15 oz Sugar

8-12 ml Essential Oil or Fragrance Oil. See usage rates for your choice from your supplier. 

Tiny pinch of colorant -optional

Add Sweet Almond Oil Whip Again. Add Optiphen plus whip more. If using colorant mix with sugar first. Whip in Sugar and EO/FO. Whip Shea. Add CO Whip again.

sss.png

ss.png

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing,  I love sugar scrubs and even though I stopped making B&B I still make myself a few products and

this is one.  I love to try new recipes.  Do you use regular sugar or Turbinado sugar with the larger grains?

• Like 1

Thanks so much for sharing - I too love sugar scrubs + love trying new recipes. Ive been wanting to try an emulsified scrub - how different would you say 

they are from a regular scrub ? Hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend. Today, it's a crappy, cloudy - humid day with rain in the forecast :(

But tomorrow is suppose to be sunny + hot !

This isn't technically an emulsified sugar scrub as there is no emulsifier added but its much like one in constancy. This formula is like a body butter with sugar added - creamy and rich. Regular sugar scrubs I've tried are more like oils and sugar. I like both but I like this formula best. Leaves a nice emollient layer on skin feels silky good afterwards.  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks so much for sharing - I too love sugar scrubs + love trying new recipes. Ive been wanting to try an emulsified scrub - how different would you say 

they are from a regular scrub ? Hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend. Today, it's a crappy, cloudy - humid day with rain in the forecast :(

But tomorrow is suppose to be sunny + hot !

Emulsified scrubs turn to a lotion like product when water is added. Emulsifiers also really help minimize the slippery floor when using scrubs.

to make the above emulsified, you can just add a typical emulsifying wax at 25% of the oils/butters by weight. :)

There are plenty of emulsifiers to pick from, but e-wax is easy to use, readily available and inexpensive (and reliable).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Thanks for sharing,  I love sugar scrubs and even though I stopped making B&B I still make myself a few products and

this is one.  I love to try new recipes.  Do you use regular sugar or Turbinado sugar with the larger grains?

I use regular sugar. I found it had for me the right amount of scrubiness. I tried brown sugar but found it sort of sticky and gooey after awhile.  

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Emulsified scrubs turn to a lotion like product when water is added. Emulsifiers also really help minimize the slippery floor when using scrubs.

to make the above emulsified, you can just add a typical emulsifying wax at 25% of the oils/butters by weight. :)

There are plenty of emulsifiers to pick from, but e-wax is easy to use, readily available and inexpensive (and reliable).

True what TallTayl says. I opted for the non-emulsified version because the emulsified ones I made washed off more completely and I liked the leave behind butter feeling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

thanks ! I am for sure gonna try this - so do i melt the oils like in a body butter + slightly freeze then whip ? 

No don't melt just whip. I found stick blender too weak so I used hand mixer to whip it. Its a really simple formula to make you can do it in like 15 minutes or less. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This recipe sounds great I would prefer a body butter that lathers. Any suggestions on what i could do. I don't have any of that stuff that make is lather any more I don't think I might have some SLS if i can find it. I was thinking of a way to add liquid soap. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

adding anything that contains water will turn th sugar into a syrupy goo. Ask me how I know.

you could try shaving some bar soap into it. In the end, waterless surfactants like powdered SLSa, and smaller amounts of SLS can add the little bit of bubble. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/29/2016 at 12:26 PM, TallTayl said:

How's avocado oil for shelf life? I think I'm gonna make some "side gifts" with this *exact* "Creamy Sugar Scrub" formulation. I think I'll do this in an emulsifying formulation, and with some jojoba or avocado oil instead of Almond oil, and FCO instead of plain CO, oh, and some Vitamin E, and maybe some mineral oil... Ok... So it's not *exactly* the same as the above mentioned formulation... It's really more like within the same city as the ballpark... 

-Sponiebr 

12 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

How's avocado oil for shelf life? I think I'm gonna make some "side gifts" with this *exact* "Creamy Sugar Scrub" formulation. I think I'll do this in an emulsifying formulation, and with some jojoba or avocado oil instead of Almond oil, and FCO instead of plain CO, oh, and some Vitamin E, and maybe some mineral oil... Ok... So it's not *exactly* the same as the above mentioned formulation... It's really more like within the same city as the ballpark... 

-Sponiebr 

avocado is a nice choice

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have read, searched for a long time with no results. I am wanted to make an emulsified scrub BUT with foaming bath butter too. I have made both but would love to see what it would be like blended. Is this a possibility?  Any experienced formulaters ? Thank you.

46 minutes ago, Kelly04 said:

I have read, searched for a long time with no results. I am wanted to make an emulsified scrub BUT with foaming bath butter too. I have made both but would love to see what it would be like blended. Is this a possibility?  Any experienced formulaters ? Thank you.

It will "work", but if your FO,ing bath butter has water in it your sugar will melt into syrup. 

Give it a go. Sometimes you can find a good balance and hit magic. I prefer to just use a powdered surfactant to bypas the glycerin and other unknowns in premade blends. 

With th so much oil and butter in a typical emulsifying scrub your bubbles will end up like thin foam when adding foaming ingredients. 

1 hour ago, Kelly04 said:

I swear I saw a recipe for this somewhere. RE maybe? WSP? But now that I think about it, they may have just been adding sugar to the foaming bath butter. Not sure what would happen if you added the emulsified butters too.

I agree with @TallTayl, you'll have to play with it to find a good balance. Sugar dissolves so readily.

I make solid sugar scrub bar with melt and pour soap, cocoa butter, some liquid oils and a little bit of liquid surfactant, and of course the sugar. But it is not whipped at all, it's very much a solid scrubby bar with a low creamy lather (no bubbles). I think what makes it work for me is that it solidifies quickly so the sugar stays crystallized. I've not had much luck with scrubs that have a liquid content with either sugar or salt.

The recipes I have seen on AH/re and possibly WSP just kept whipping more and more sugar into the Stephenson foaming bath butter until it no longer melted. I tried that and the end result felt sticky. 

You could try the wilton large crystal sugar decorating. It's coated in carnauba wax. Might need to crush it down in size.

or better yet, use a scrubby that doesn't melt in water, like maybe walnut hulls or coffee grounds.