Do wax melts lose their scent over time?

ThisLittleLightOfMine

On 5/26/2016 at 7:18 PM, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

I use paraffin 4627 and 4625 and i make them in the 6 cavity melt molds and then  they would be stored in a cardboard box I think?

With this combo I found that they did lose their scent over time. Weirdest thing, you wouldn't think an all paraffin melt would do that. I have since changed to Parasoy and they definitely get stronger the longer they sit. Just my personal experience. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WaxAttacks said:

With this combo I found that they did lose their scent over time. Weirdest thing, you wouldn't think an all paraffin melt would do that. I have since changed to Parasoy and they definitely get stronger the longer they sit. Just my personal experience. 

No matter what wax combo I try it seems that the die -hard Scentsy users in my family seem to always say they don't smell as strong or last as long as Scentsy :( 

I always wonder what in the heck Scentsy does/uses to get them strong but not obtrusive + the scent lasts so long - mystery I suppose :- 

I ordered Rustic Essentials parasoy tart wax so I guess I'll give that a go !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tina J said:

I think Scentsy uses a high % of fragrance oil. I've seen a lot of their wax with oil seepage. 

I think its the wax or rather the combination of waxes. I use a descent amount of FO in melts too but don't get the same effect - oh well , i guess thats 

why they're Scentsy lol ! i do think people view them as the Gold standard though .

• Like 1

I read on a scentsy site they use about 15%+ fragrance. Their fragrances are likely not what we get buying retail. 

There is is something else in the scent, though. A fixative of some kind. I tried orange dreamsicle in my kitchen to compare melt times, etc. with my own. I got physically sick from some chemical note in it. Head spin, nausea and shortness of breath. Similar to the sensation of walking down the laundry aisle at a store.

i'll stick with mine :)

• Like 3

TallTayl I bet your right about the fragrances not being what we buy retail. Im with you - I'll stick with mine too :) It really makes you wonder what the heck is

in most of the stuff out there for consumers to buy. 

• Like 1

Fragraced products, like laundry detergent and fabric softener, have fixatives that we do not have access to retail. How else would some of those scents stick so radically in fabric for months on end? 

A whole bunch of other chemicals are used in the fragrance industry to solubilize fragrance (like DPG, phthalates, etc., ) some to volatilize ("throw") the fragrances, ethers, ketones, terpenes, thrones, etc. etc. Etc....

Scentsy is secretive about their "proprietary" ingredients. The There's "something" that disagreed with me based on my sudden, and strong, physical reaction to the warmed scents in the air. 

• Like 1

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 2:57 PM, WaxAttacks said:

On May 26, 2016 at 9:18 PM, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

I use paraffin 4627 and 4625 and i make them in the 6 cavity melt molds and then  they would be stored in a cardboard box I think?

Hey there!

How you store the melts will determine their fragrance longevity really. As long as they're in plastic; cardboard alone sucks the fragrance right out just as paper bags do with food.

I use the poly bags (Peak); they're formulated to lock in freshness and keep out moisture. I have melts that I've made over a year ago that smell stronger than before!

Most scented wax made with quality FOs becomes more potent with time when properly stored. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ThisLittleLightOfMine said:

So you put each 6 cavity package into its own bag jfear?

I actually don't use the traditional melt packages because I make mostly silicone molded melts (pumpkins, skulls, etc). I just place my melts straight in the poly bags and it preserves them beautifully.

I suppose you could store the melt package in a plastic bag as well (even grocery bags); should lock in the scent nicely!

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

I can't say whether storing filled clamshells in a plastic bag would distort the fragrance or not, but...

Years ago I sold crystal potpourri by the lb and put it into a ziploc storage bag. I had a few returned because the fragrance was completely gone. Everyone should know that polyethylene plastic bags will suck out the fragrance of the product inside the bag. Zippo, nada, completely gone. If you can avoid using that type of plastic for melts, I would.

(Polyethylene plastic is a bit stretchy. Polypropylene plastic bags are not stretchy, and that's the best type to use for melts.)

• 3 weeks later...

I think sometimes it has to do with the FO that's used, but I have found some that I did a long time ago using more container wax than pillar and they seemed to have a much better cold throw than the ones that I made using all pillar or mostly pillar wax. It doesn't mean that the hot throw or longevity won't be as good as the other ones though. I don't think you'll really know until you melt them or get someone else to test them for you. I can't tell you the times I've smelled of some of my wax and thought it was a dud and then smelled it in someone's classroom or in the school's office and it would be great! We get used to the scents we're around all the time.

• Like 3

Belinda are you a school teacher ? That would explain your kind nature .. lol ! My son had been in special ed for decades - i cannot tell you 

the admiration I have for the teachers . The dedication + love they have for their students is unbelievable. 

18 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Belinda are you a school teacher ? That would explain your kind nature .. lol ! My son had been in special ed for decades - i cannot tell you 

the admiration I have for the teachers . The dedication + love they have for their students is unbelievable. 

Awww, thank you for the kind words Moonstar. I am a teacher's aide actually! I have worked with special needs kids for 19 years and love it! I am Mom#2 to one of my ex-students, a downs syndrome girl. She just spent a whole week at our house. She was in the 6th grade and had just come to the Middle School campus and I started bringing her home with me. She's 27 now and like part of our family. She's such a mess and has brought a lot of joy to our lives. There are several that I grew very attached to and hated to let them go but they had to move on up to High School and graduate. 

• Like 1