COCONUT 83 WAX

cvndlechix

I have been testing a coconut blend wax since mid year of 2015 & so far I'm liking it! Anyone else using this particular blend? I order from calcandlesupply, the only thing that's a bummer is shipping cost :( (will have to take that in high consideration when pricing candles for my future business endeavor)  what are your pros or cons on this wax if you do use it? 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just ordered this. Anyone know what I should expect? Never burnt a coconut container candle before. I hear it has better hot throw than soy, but I wonder if that’s only because it has a higher FO capacity (8-10%) as opposed to soy.  I also read it has a better looking after burn appearance. The big issue being that it’s really soft, and probably more of a headache shipping in summer weather. 

On 10/15/2017 at 3:43 PM, Firefly said:

I use it and like it but use wooden wicks with it. With essential oil blends and wicking it does take some testing to figure out. 

I tried it with some wooden wicks from flaming but even with the smallest size, the flame was HUGE. In another container the flame was way too small and fizzled out at one point. I ordered some sample wooden wicks from another company so maybe those will work better. I'm considering ditching them and using cotton instead though.

On 11/30/2017 at 1:11 AM, chapguy said:

I just ordered this. Anyone know what I should expect? Never burnt a coconut container candle before. I hear it has better hot throw than soy, but I wonder if that’s only because it has a higher FO capacity (8-10%) as opposed to soy.  I also read it has a better looking after burn appearance. The big issue being that it’s really soft, and probably more of a headache shipping in summer weather. 

This is the only kind of wax I've used so far. It had a great HT and looked great in the container... however, I had a lot of trouble with the wicks I chose (wood). I've also read from other members on here that it really needs to be mixed with a harder wax. I guess this would help with shipping in hot weather. I can't really give recommendations on that because I haven't tried it yet and coconut is all I've used so far. 

My 2 cents about wood wicks... 

the wooden wick company owns all the patents on wood wicks. Resellers seem to buy from the patent holder. The wooden wick company has many types and sizes. For instance, the 1/2 inch wide comes in 10+ configurations. The thicknesses really make a big difference in the burn. It is anyone's guess which sizes and thicknesses the resellers are stocking. 

I ordered the sample pack from the wooden wick company and recognize many of them in the pack from resellers. You get about 200 wicks to start off with. Best thing ever!

coconut wax beads from candles and supplies burned really well for me using the original booster wicks in a pretty small size. Every single burn was wonderful. 

@TallTayl Thanks for the tips! I ordered the sample pack from the wooden wick company but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet... glad to hear they worked out for you... gives me hope! :) Would you recommend mixing in some beeswax with the coconut wax? I ordered the coconut wax from CalCandle. I'm curious to try the beads though. 

Side by side I tried naked beads wax, the beads with 10% sunflower and one with 10% microcrystalline. the soot was worse with the additives. Going to try another round but am not super hopeful with this wax. The ht was great, but those plumes of black soot were not worth it. Possibly soy wax will help, but won't know til I get there. 

will move to the white slab of coconut wax from c and s next. 

• Thanks 1

I just tested this wax. It’s very nice. A flawless pour.  It’s less opaque than soy and feels reminiscent of vaseline when you run your finger over it. It’s a soft wax, but it’s not so soft that you can push your finger into the wax and dent it. But there’s no way to touch it without a finger print.  The wick I’m using is too big and smokes, but I’m getting the feeling it’s going to be difficult to wick regardless. The solidifing wax after a long burn is very very nice, and also flawless, as if it wasn’t burned yet, only the black wick giving it away. Even without fragrance, the way it comes up into my nose I get a sense that it’s going to have a very good hot throw. The downsides for me is the vaseline feel, and the fact that it’s a lower melting point wax so it’ll be a question mark during hot weather shipping. And also the potentially difficult wicking. 

Edited by chapguy
  • Like 2

I have no idea of Coco83 wax...but I just started testing this new wax from a supplier up here http://www.canwax.com/Wax-CoconutSoy-Container-Blend-CW301_p_3795.html  I would assume its very similiar, but I have no way of telling for sure, because everything now is proprietary.

It seems really greasy when I took it out of the bag...Melted to 180...added 8% FO and poured into 3" container at about 145...(also did one with no scent).  Looked perfect...no wet spots, smooth as a babies bum top...nice white/creamy colour even with Cinnamon buns FO which is a dark colour...but it didn't change the finished colour much (unlike Q210)...I didn't put in a wick because I am using the new "Poke a Hole and add a wick" method of testing.   I lit the scented one today with a Premier 775 wick...and it is burning perfect so far.. nice flame and great scent throw.  This wax seems perfect so far!!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello.

I see these are old posts but I sure wish I would have known about this site a year or so ago. It certainly would have saved me lots of time, money and frustration and I would have been able to start a candle business by now. 😅 I have been using Coconut 83 wax and was having lots of problems finding the right wicks. I too, after far too long, realized that Premier 700 series, Performa and HTP wicks do work well in this wax. I am making progress.

If you all are still using this wax, I have a few questions and comments. 

- Sometime during 2016 didn't you notice the wax had changed, a lot. It didn't contain as much soy and no longer displayed the typical soy characteristics, mainly the rough, spongy tops after burning? The candle tops are now smooth as silk and the wax takes on a clear look when the candle is melting.

- With this new, most recent version of the wax, are you having problems with hit or miss issues on the cold and hot scent throw? I am, it's very unpredictable. But boy, when the scent throw is a hit it is very strong.

- But, as I mentioned, I am finding it easier to wick.

Would love to hear some feedback from anyone that uses the Coconut 83 wax.

http://calcandlesupply.com/coconut-83-wax-all-natural-coconut-wax/

https://www.northwoodcandlesupply.com/collections/candle-wax/products/coconut-candle-wax

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Easy-Beads-Coconut-Container-Wax-Blend-per-10-lb.-bag?sc=7&category=333096

Edited by Laura C
add links to the product

9 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hello.

I see these are old posts but I sure wish I would have known about this site a year or so ago. It certainly would have saved me lots of time, money and frustration and I would have been able to start a candle business by now. 😅 I have been using Coconut 83 wax and was having lots of problems finding the right wicks. I too, after far too long, realized that Premier 700 series, Performa and HTP wicks do work well in this wax. I am making progress.

- Sometime during 2016 didn't you notice the wax had changed, a lot. It didn't contain as much soy and no longer displayed the typical soy characteristics, mainly the rough, spongy tops after burning? The candle tops are now smooth as silk and the wax takes on a clear look when the candle is melting.

- With this new, most recent version of the wax, are you having problems with hit or miss issues on the cold and hot scent throw? I am, it's very unpredictable. But boy, when the scent throw is a hit it is very strong.

https://www.northwoodcandlesupply.com/collections/candle-wax/products/coconut-candle-wax

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Easy-Beads-Coconut-Container-Wax-Blend-per-10-lb.-bag?sc=7&category=333096

2016 is when all of the soy madness began.  Every soy wax on the market changed drastically. Threw us all into a spin toward the drain.

between the FDA banning trans fats, and the soy seed manufacturers making a new strain we were doomed. Combine that with sales of soy manufacturing to Central America and the triple whammy hit us all.  None of the waxes perform the same. Manufacturers and retailers called us all stupid and crazy.  It is why palm, paraffin and now coconut have made a resurgence. We’re sick of the soy Bs. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

2016 is when all of the soy madness began.  Every soy wax on the market changed drastically. Threw us all into a spin toward the drain.

between the FDA banning trans fats, and the soy seed manufacturers making a new strain we were doomed. Combine that with sales of soy manufacturing to Central America and the triple whammy hit us all.  None of the waxes perform the same. Manufacturers and retailers called us all stupid and crazy.  It is why palm, paraffin and now coconut have made a resurgence. We’re sick of the soy Bs. 

@TallTayl, thank you, thank you so much for sharing that info. Ahhh, this all makes sense now. I had no idea all this was going on regarding soy wax, I'll have to read up on this for curiosity's sake. The Original Coconut 83 wax had a lot more soy in it than it does now, I still have some candles made with it and they are totally different than the candles I make now with the (new) Coconut 83 wax. And like you, I called the wax people up and were telling them this and they flat out denied it and acted like I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about. I told them I could prove it, my candles were proof. The industry needs to be honest and call things by their true name, not make stuff up or be confusing. If it's a duck then it's a duck and call it a duck. LOL. Bottom line, as candle makers and crafters we need to know what we are working with so we can deal with it properly and create a safe and reliable product for the consumer.

I know, I'm really sick of all the bs and misleading information in the candle industry. Fake and misleading claims about paraffin wax, about fragrance oils, people still being concerned about lead wicks, etc. Basically it boils down to fades and marketing jargon, what's going to get people's attention, scare them and make sales. I'm all for making sales but I like to be honest and I like to know what I'm talking about and also appear to know what I'm talking about. 😝

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, Laura C said:

Hello.

@Laura C we’re you able to find the perfect wick for this wax? I too wish I found this website before I bought all the coconut wax that I did. 

26 minutes ago, Hogue said:

@Laura C we’re you able to find the perfect wick for this wax? I too wish I found this website before I bought all the coconut wax that I did. 

Hi @Hogue.

I don't believe I did, can't remember, sorry. I would have to refer back to my notes and currently they are still packed up and buried in my storage unit from my move. Overall, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was having pretty good luck with HTP, cotton core, Performa and Premier 700 series wicks in Coconut 83. And they could have changed the wax again since I have used it.