EO soy clamshell pricing

I'm starting a line of soy wax melts made with essential oils since I love them and stopped making B & B.   I bought several pounds and will do 5 scents and then a few blends of those 5.  I'd like to find out if I'm in line for pricing on these if anyone out there is making them.  I was thinking $6 per clamshell  (2.5- 3 x my cost depending on eo). I found a couple on Etsy but there are so many to weed through just to find 1 made with essential oil.

• Like 1

No, i don't think your out of line in the least bit. may i ask what EO's you have success with ( peppermint -lemon etc) i just didn't seem to have any luck

with getting a scent throw. what I've been doing with wax melts is not pouring + packaging in plastic clamshells. I know they're easy/practical but i just 

don't care for them - thats a personal preference for sure. what i do is pour my wax in small molds + them package in 5x7 cotton muslin bags. melts can 

be stored in the bags - i like that its eco friendly. i get my drawstring cotton bags in bulk from uline - you get 200 bags for about 68-$70??? 

It's been years since I made them before so I took a guess since all my notes were lost.  I got Lavender (a super high grade), Lemon, Lemongrass, Patch & Bergamot.

So far I've tested only straight scents, Lavender, Patch & Bergamot, they all had a really nice but not overwhelming throw.  I use a light bulb warmer.  Interestingly enough I did remember that I didn't need to cure long with EO, but of course I tested after just a day and then after a week and really not much difference.

Peppermint would probably be another good one but I spent $180. on 5# wholesale so I had to stop!  I have muslin bags but I'm afraid with essential oil it will lose it's scent.  I'm looking for some small jars and I may use the 4 oz jelly jars (6 oz jar would be ideal) to put a bunch of small melts in and sell them that way, but for now I'm using clamshells to test and also to get them into the store.  I do like that the clamshell hangs and doesn't take up shelf space.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I would start pricing at 4 times your cost. People know that EOs are more expensive than FOs. You can always do multiple unit pricing - for example if one pack/unit is $8.00 at 4 x cost, you could offer 3/$20.

I bet they would be really cute in 8 oz tins, lined with pretty tissue paper, with a colorful and descriptive label. You could get the tins that have the window lid.

As a side note, I just bought some EOs from Camden-Grey and they sent a sample of their Light Patchouli and it is really good! Makes me seriously consider buying a lb of it.

I really like OldGlory 's idea of multiple unit pricing . During Christmas i do wax melts in glass jars like your describing - people really like that, especially 

for gift giving. Your inspiring me to try EO wax melts again - Where do you like get your eo in bulk + how do you gauge how much EO to add since its

different than FO ? One more question .... how does one know they are getting a super high grade of lavender - i learn so much from all of you TY :)

Guest OldGlory

I was in retail for 30 +/- years, and there are some principles you don't forget -

Start your prices high and come down if you have to or just want to. People love to buy things on sale. Bath & Body W. has the right idea.

If you start your prices too low and try to raise them your customers will not be happy.

5 hours ago, OldGlory said:

I would start pricing at 4 times your cost. People know that EOs are more expensive than FOs. You can always do multiple unit pricing - for example if one pack/unit is $8.00 at 4 x cost, you could offer 3/$20.

I bet they would be really cute in 8 oz tins, lined with pretty tissue paper, with a colorful and descriptive label. You could get the tins that have the window lid.

As a side note, I just bought some EOs from Camden-Grey and they sent a sample of their Light Patchouli and it is really good! Makes me seriously consider buying a lb of it.

I do that with my fo melts, I offer a 2/$ and a 4/$ and it works well.  Patch EO just gets better and better so don't be afraid to buy a # of it.  I have some that's 5 years old and

I save for very special customers who still buy EO from me. 

Thanks for the replies & suggestions!

Since I decided to average my EO cost and have the same price regardless of scent I'm going with 7.50 each and 3/$20.  After searching more on Etsy most are between

$7-$12 per clamshell.  If the clamshells sell fairly well, I'm going to look into other forms of packaging because I don't like the idea of putting them in plastic but for now it works. 

Guest OldGlory

My customers won't pay the price I would need to get for anything made with Patchouli. I may buy a smaller portion just for me tho! I still have a one oz. bottle I bought a few years ago. I'm letting it age.

My Lavender was more expensive than the Patchouli, I think the Patch was $45. and the Lavender was $57 I have a wholesale account for EO's but they usually don't sell pounds at a time.  It helps that my sister works there as she can get me a few pounds without too much trouble as long as I maintain my wholesale acct with them.  My customers

may not pay the price either but I see them spending $25.00 for an 8 oz EO candle so they may just love these melts.  When I lived in Huntington Beach, they bought EO melts

from me for $8.00 ea and that was 8 years ago.  This area it may not fly.  I need some special blends so I know I'm going to need to buy more scents possibly even the

companies blends.

Guest OldGlory

My customers won't pay $5 for any 8 oz jar candle. But they are RABID about melts and I have no trouble getting $1/oz for melts. (It helps that there's a man selling the large clamshell for $8 near me, lol.)