Vicky_CO

May 2016 Inventory Control

9 posts in this topic

This some thing I think a lot of people struggle with.

Inventory control how do you do it for supplies and how do you do it for your candles?

I feel like after 5 years of doing shows and knowing what sells that I am always pre planning my supplies as well as candles. For me I make a ton of scents in advance so that they can cure. In fact this week I am starting my fall/holiday scents, especially the ones that need a bit more cure time. 

2 people like this

I honestly thought this would be a good question everyone is quiet.

I personally struggled with this one for years I tried several programs and they where just to complicated.

I finally settled with excel spread sheets which still are not ideal but work for me. this was for the supply side.

Inventory for the other side was not as easy mainly because of the seasonal stuff needing to add new things and drop other things.

1 person likes this

My problem was finding the software programs too expensive to justify (unless someone here knows of a good cheap one!)  :) .  I use excel also.   

For the stuff I have made up I just count it up at the end of the year and figure it all out.  It is a pain but maybe when business booms I will consider getting some sort of software program.  I did try playing with Quick Books a little but it was pretty hard for me to figure out.  I did not purchase it......I played with the one on my computer at work! :)  

1 person likes this

I'm old school, my husband is tech man.  I use paper and a pencil, a notebook with all my notes and lists in it.  It's been my way for so long and it works for me. 

4 people like this

On 5/9/2016 at 4:42 PM, Chefmom said:

I'm old school, my husband is tech man.  I use paper and a pencil, a notebook with all my notes and lists in it.  It's been my way for so long and it works for me. 

I do this too, but then I transfer all of that to a running excel sheet, and also put it in my SM3 program. 

Maybe I'm a bit OCD - but this keeps everything in checks and balances for me. If something seems off with one of the 3, I then go back and recount/inventory that. That usually only happens though if I leave it for too long. I try to conduct monthly inventories, Doesn't always happen, but I always think about it! HA

2 people like this

Add me to the old school group! I use a pen and notebook to inventory my candles that are made. I store the candles that are done in crates, each scent has it's own box, then I tape the inventory sheet to the wall. I inventory weekly. 

My candle supplies are kept by my candle making table on shelves grouped together. All wicks are kept in containers that are stacked, each labeled with what is in them (they have no top on them and the front is open), fragrances are in plastic tubs, color in little plastic containers (with locking lids). At a glance I can see what needs to be ordered. I also keep a piece of paper taped to my wall by my candle making station so I can write down what supplies I am running low on. It sounds pretty simple and it is. My packaging table has my shrink wrap bags and my heat gun. Sitting on top of my packaging table is a table top filing system where I keep my labels, sorted by scent, and under the filing system is 2 drawers where I keep my odds and ends like my scissors, pens, sticky note pads, things like that. 

Years ago I tried to have computer programs keep track of everything, that just seemed to take so much time and took away time from candle making. 

1 person likes this

Me too.....Pen, pads and paper

Trappeur

1 person likes this

I have a notebook and a sharpie. So I upgraded from the pencil my Grandfather used. Lol.

1 person likes this