Maple Street and recommendations

Nikki

I bought a few of their samples (can't even remember which ones) but I haven't put them in wax yet. I may not have been too impressed but can't really be sure. I did order some of their dyes and didn't like the idea that they don't come with droppers in the bottles.

A fellow soaper and tart making friend introduced me to this company. I bought some of her tarts made with their oils. The cold throw was great. Hot throw was strong but didn't last but half the day. She only uses soy, so I may be spoiled by parasoy tarts that last days at a time.

• Like 1

Nikki thank you so much for posting about Maple Street. I've added it to the State Suppliers list.

I am also thrilled that they are another supplier in PA. So any FOs you or anyone has tried I would love to hear a review on. I love their prices and hope they have some good ones.

• Like 2

I need to put the oils I got from them in wax so I can give a better review of them. I probably set them aside with all the hundreds of other samples I have and never gave them another thought! LOL! The dye was kind of what turned me off. I have to find droppers for them so I'll be sticking with Lone Star's, Peak's and RE's dyes.

• Like 2

My feelings echo Belinda's on the dyes. Tried the dye chips at first and had problems with them leaving specks of colors through my melts and candles. Went ahead and tried the liquid dyes and was also turned off by them not having droppers or some way of controlling the amount of dye better and found them messy to deal with. Have decided to stay with Peak's and Candlescience's dyes. I'd be interested to hear reviews on the fragrances, though.

I hear you about the dyes. I have only bought liquid dyes from Lonestar years ago and still have them. They came with the droppers as lids and make it a lot easier to dye candles without making a mess. I would also be turned off by liquid dyes without the droppers.

Right now I use the Reddiglo dye chips for my palm candles. They work the best and don't morph the candle scents. I had to quit using liquid dyes in my palm candles because of how many the scent morphed on. Didn't have a problem using liquid in paraffin. But with soy I get more vivid colors with dye chips than with liquid colors.

• Like 2

I have tried a few of their oils...

Toasted Marshmallow does not smell like toasted marshmallow!  It is more... marshmallow cereal pieces... smells sweet, pretty, but kind of light.

Patchouli is nice but not super strong like most other ones.

Cherry Bomb OOB is nice!

Amish Harvest OOB smells nice too.

The owner seems like a really nice and attentive guy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2016 at 3:57 PM, Candybee said:

I hear you about the dyes. I have only bought liquid dyes from Lonestar years ago and still have them. They came with the droppers as lids and make it a lot easier to dye candles without making a mess. I would also be turned off by liquid dyes without the droppers.

Right now I use the Reddiglo dye chips for my palm candles. They work the best and don't morph the candle scents. I had to quit using liquid dyes in my palm candles because of how many the scent morphed on. Didn't have a problem using liquid in paraffin. But with soy I get more vivid colors with dye chips than with liquid colors.

I have not bought Maple St FO's, just their dye chips and clamshell molds. He has the best price I've found for clamshells.

Speaking of liquid dyes, I have made the mistake of buying liquid dyes without the dropper lids.  What a mess.  I called The Candlemaker's Store to ask about droppers after I made such a mess with their dye and she said to buy the pipettes....well those are messy too.  At least I make a mess with them.

Then I bought liquid dye from Aztec and the dye had a regular lid but a dropper lid was included.  I didn't think that when I put the dropper in the bottle, it would overflow the dye!  They should make the bottles larger to accomodate the dropper.

So from now one, I'm sticking to Rustic Esscentuals liquid dye.  Nice glass bottles with droppers already on them!

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Any up dates on scents for Maple Street? Has anyone found a must have? 

I want to place a order because everyone raves about thier scents on their Facebook group. 

And I wanted to add them as a supplier due to their location and variety of scents.

Right now I have: blonde moment, pink sugar, lavender patch, cherry blossom, and bergamot tobacco. 

I am also looking for a fruity floral scent

On 3/8/2016 at 8:09 PM, Belinda said:

I bought a few of their samples (can't even remember which ones) but I haven't put them in wax yet. I may not have been too impressed but can't really be sure. I did order some of their dyes and didn't like the idea that they don't come with droppers in the bottles.

Just received 21 single ounce sample sizes. Not sure I will be putting any into wax. They don't really knock my socks off at first sniff. 

• Like 2

I have not tried his oils. He gets his oils from Agilex so I imagined that most would be good. I already purchase from 12 oil suppliers and have committed to not adding more.

I will say he has been quite strategic in building up his company via Facebook. He is very present (answers each post asking who has the best FO's with simply a link to his own website, as example) in a large group (10,000+ members) of "Candle Makers" on Facebook. Many are asking about selling from the kit they just received as a gift, using crayons as dye and similar. The main admin of the group seems quite taken with him and advocates for his company as well. I might guess that his own FB group is made up of a number of people from that large general group where most seem to be starting out or seeking advice. 

• Like 1

I order clamshells from them, along with a few other items. I ordered Pina Colada, or maybe got it as a sample, I can't remember. It was definitely Pina Colada-y, but the fake syrupy kind of mix you might buy at the grocery store. HT was strong in parasoy at 7% but the scent was too fake-smelling. I want to try more, because so many people are obsessed, but don't want to throw away money and add another fragrance supplier. I have 3 suppliers on my list to try before MS again. 

The Candle Makers group in which he self-promotes daily is 10,000 members strong. That is a lot of free, repeat exposure. DEFINITELY not seasoned, long term wax makers. They post that they are not having luck with hobby store fragrance oils and ask what they should do. He posts a link to his group and another customer is born! Seems his FB group and this same Candle Makers FB group have many of the same members. 

• Like 3