Double wicking a 3.25 Libby high ball tumbler

Hi y'all I am changing jars and am having a crazy time wicking the classic tumbler I was using wood wicks in my mason jars with naturewaxc3 and a bit of eco pb and they burned great every now in then I would have a complaint halfway through wood stopped lighting I am pouring a new boutique line and want a double wick and am testing cb135 I did put in an extra large woodwick and halfway through candle stopped achieving a full melt pool

With the double wick for a 3.25 I have tried eco 4 too hot and cd 6 too hot getting full melt pools in 20 minutes all the wicks lower than that are only 2.5 inches I need a 6 inch wick any suggestions I see double wicks in this container from several companies and know it can be done but what are they using??

Thanks!! Sherry

Trappeur here is a picture of the Libby high ball tumbler is 3.25 wide and total of 4.25 tall filled with 11 oz cb 135 to the left are 2 cd 6 to the right are 2 eco4 both are reaching full melt pool in 25 minutes this is a third burn I am using cb135 with 10 percent of I was using a 8 mason jar with large wood wick and naturewax c3 mixed with a bit of eco pb to harden to ship but the 135 is throwing much stronger and right away just not sure if it will ship I also tried 444 and it thrower much better than c3 but burned very ugly for me I have not tried 464 I do have to consider shipping

Has anyone here double wicked these jars I see this jar in boutiques double wicked all the time

Thanks in advance all for any suggestions a extra large woodwick upon second burning would not reach a full melt pool with several waxes and fragrance combos the reason I want these jars is they are drinking glasses and I like the whole all natural and recycling for our candlepost-11681-0-80028200-1450359594_thumb.j

I use a similar tumbler, I believe it's just slightly smaller diam and I use a 60C or 62C cotton wick depending on the fo.

Are you double wicking and I am mot familiar with a c wick what brand is that thanks for your response!

When I used that jar I double wicked with (2) LX8.  I just could never get a good burn with only 1 wick.  I finally switched to the Libbey cylinder jars, which are a bit wider and I like them much better.

I cannot find an lx8 in a 6 inch my suppliers only carry it in a 2.5 can you direct me to your supplier? Thanks!!!! I love the look of the cylinder jar but feel the highball will be more likely recycled into a drinking or bar glass thanks for your help!

I cannot find an lx8 in a 6 inch my suppliers only carry it in a 2.5 can you direct me to your supplier? Thanks!!!! I love the look of the cylinder jar but feel the highball will be more likely recycled into a drinking or bar glass thanks for your help!

I buy all my wicks at Candlewic.com

Forgot to add you would only be able to get it through the custom wick builder or in a spool.

Edited by ChrisR

I buy all my wicks at Candlewic.comForgot to add you would only be able to get it through the custom wick builder or in a spool.

Thanks so much I was unaware of the wick builder and that will help me immensely in my testing as I appreciate it!

Hate to say it, but I think the wicks are too large.  If you get a full melt pool in 25 minutes and from looking at your picture your getting a "deep" melt pool the longer that candle burns it looks like it's going to get mad hot and a deeper depth of melt ...but continue your testing.

How long did you let the candles cure for b/4 you started testing them?

Trappeur

• Like 2

Trap, that was my first thought too. Until i read I assumed it was a nice pool for a 3 hour burn. 25 minutes for that much MP is too hot, IMO/IME. It will only get hotter as it continues to burn lower in the jar.

Sorry I should have been more specific this picture was taken at 3.5 hours it is the third burn on these candles when I said reached full melt pool at 25 I meant from side to side of jar I do feel I need to go down a size in wicks at least if not two thanks for looking at it i was wondering if someone had double wicked this before and what they used. I see these double wicked all the time I was unaware of the wick builder I thought I was going lowest size possible for the 6 inch wick and now can continue testing smaller

Hate to say it, but I think the wicks are too large.  If you get a full melt pool in 25 minutes and from looking at your picture your getting a "deep" melt pool the longer that candle burns it looks like it's going to get mad hot and a deeper depth of melt ...but continue your testing.

How long did you let the candles cure for b/4 you started testing them?

Trappeur

Trap sorry I should have been more specific this picture was at 3.5 hours it is a bit over half an inch and this is third burn I burn 4 hours each time so his was almost 12 hours in I feel it is too hot I was thinking this was the lowest size possible to test but am pleased to find out about the wick builder to get lower sizes in a 6 inch so ordering and testing more I did only wait 24 hours to burn cause I was testing for wick and not scent but these threw very well it is cb135 but it will be way to soft for shipping

I see on other threads you use 464 and cb3 with 6 percent I pulled out candle that I made 6 months ago in c3 of same scent and smelled the 135 with 10 percent way way better I am just not able to get a good throw with 6 even with curing forever I add heat to 185 add oil at 165 and I have added higher and lower I stir a times 3 minutes with 444 and 135 I can add more oil and smell after 24 hours through whole open concept large ceiling with the c3 I can smell cured for a time in a closed master bedroom but not in living room unless I am right next to it but the 135 and 444 do not make the beautiful candle c3 does I have mixed c3 with pb and it shipped well and it threw amazing at ten percent but when burning it leaves a dark ring in wax not burned I have been doing this for 4 years and am not sure if I am wanting the unachievable a beautiful strong soy that burns pretty and sets up pretty after the burn and ships well in heat lol I test daily like the mad hatter over here thanks for listening/reading

I buy all my wicks at Candlewic.comForgot to add you would only be able to get it through the custom wick builder or in a spool.

Thanks so much I thought I was wicking smallest size available in a 6 inch and now have many more options to test I appreciate it!!!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I was having a really challenging time wicking a 3 inch tumbler; I purchased them because they look like a simple jar, easy enough to wick, on the contrary!

I actually gave into double-wicking and I'm really happy with the results! With 2 HTP 41 or 52 (depending on fo) I get a beautiful even burn and super consistent flames. I was always daunted by double wicking but I'm so glad I tried it!

I know this has been a post from the end of last year....I wonder if she ever got 2 wicks in that jar as don't see she came back.

I was going to tell her to try 2 cd4's as I have much beautiful success with those wicks which do come in 6" lengths at Community Candle. But I think they will still be too large in these 2 small wicks.    I wouldn't have double wicked that jar but I see others do...which is great.

Also too I have found out over time that a lot of the times a jar this size just can't handle a big room.  And of course fragrance plays into it too if it is a light fragrance.   I have a couple customers especially the ones that have these log homes that have lofts that require a couple candles going at one time that I recommend they do.  This could possibly be another explanation.

Well, that is my input.

Trappeur

• 2 months later...

Trappeur so sorry I put off testing for a bit I did have much better luck double wicking with Eco 2 and Eco 4 that are 6 inches long at candle science the 2s take two or so burns to reach side to side  the 4s get a full melt pool not too deep in the 3-4 hour burn but get hotter last half of candle  I am pouring today with the pure series two 510s two 515s and two 525s to see if it burns even better so in ten days I will post I also am no longer adding the pillar blend to the c3 and not getting the ugly gold ring after burning  but not sure how c3 will ship in summer I do use 8.5 fragrance so far none of the wicks threw good at 6 percent but 8.5 burns pretty does not seep and is much stronger for my open concept high ceiling home

jfear I will try the htp suggestions I am trying to keep the wicks all natural will look into those have not read up on them

Edited by shicks

Hi Shicks, 

No problem...I go like that too on binges.  If you don't have luck with the new wicks your trying, get 2 cd 4's.  That is what I use for jars.  Community Candle used to carry them...not any more.  I just got them at Bittercreek.  I never worry about what a candle looks like after it has been extinguished and believe me, no one else will, so I wouldn't waste time on that at all.  It is what it is.....Keep us posted how you do.:)

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Had the best luck with the two eco 2  wicks but still not perfect I am worried about what Candle looks like extinguished though as the high end candles I have purchased burn really clean and  still get a bit of dark black with the eco 2 I am rolling out a boutique line and have put off till early 2018 as I want mine to be as strong and as clean I have experienced with other soy lines am looking for longer cd to try 

I have a bag of rrd 29,s and used them when testing a different wax I am pouring with those two htp 52's and trying samples of premiers this week as I just am not feeling good about eco 2,s too messy in my candle I am afraid two cd4 would be too hot and I don't have those on hand here we go again been trying to perfect this jar for sometime I am getting a great throw just messy wick