BCN no longer carrying wood wicks?

kdes7

Guest OldGlory

It is my understanding that wood wicks are being pulled from the market period and will no longer be available anywhere.

I am going to do some more investigating.

Edited by OldGlory

It is my understanding that wood wicks are being pulled from the market period and will no longer be available anywhere.

I am going to do some more investigating.

This freaked me out a little since they burn so amazingly well in my ceramic containers, so i contacted the Wood Wick company (Wood Wick Technologies) where I buy mine. Here's their reply:

"Thanks for your email. We are absolutely not pulling our wood wicks off the market..."

I could not google anything either.

I think what we're seeing at retailers that the wood wicks were just not popular enough to stock.

Guest OldGlory

I just got an email from the folks at Wood Candlewicks and they confirmed that they are not discontinuing their wood wicks.

BCN is discontinuing their wood wicks and said it's not because they don't want to carry them, but there is an issue with selling wood wicks and making candles with wood wicks in them. You can contact Flicker at BCN if you want more information.

Those companies are likely small enough yet that the legal eagles haven't either found them or they will get a cease and desist soon. The problem is, there are existing patents on wood wicks. I know Dayna Decker is one of the patent owners. The company we got our wicks from had to legally stop production of them because of the patent. Trust me, they burned great and sold awesome for us, we wanted to keep carrying them but for legal reasons it's not possible. It will trickle down... it always does. The thing is, everyone making and selling the finished product is a violation of the patent, so I'd be cautious knowing they are coming after people. I got a C&D from a large, well known candle company back in about 2000 when candle makers were a dime a dozen. If they could find little ole me back then, they will find the rest of us now. :( I am guessing that once these companies gets that letter from the lawyers representing the patent holder suing to cease selling or pay up, the wicks will disappear from the market. I wish it wasn't so too.

Edited by Flicker

Hello,

Just to clarify for you all.

The owner of the wood wick patents is a company called Lumetique, Inc. You can view their patents on the website: www.lumetique.com. The good news is that www.woodcandlewick.com is a newly licensed distributor of their wooden wicks, so Lumetique's product is now readily available in the marketplace.The license fee is built into the cost of the wick and each wooden wick purchase comes with a patent-protected license.

We won't be going anywhere. :) Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks to all our wonderful customers.

-Wood Wick Technologies

Edited by Vicky_CO
At members request
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

WOODWICK TECHNOLOGY APPEARS TO BE Dayna Decker. Her patents expire in a few years so don't sign any long term agreements. There is another company out there that also holds patents. Dayna will order  your candles under her associate Hanna Berbos's name have them sent to her office. The she send you a letter from a law firm saying you could be in violation. I find it to be tricky and decietful.

Research lawsuits against her company and decide if this is really a business relationship you want to build. She does not hold the only patent in fact there is debate if she is infringing on the other persons patent.

I use wood wicks ONLY from woodcandlewick.  My local provider TheCandleMakersStore says that the source they previously purchased wood wicks from was sued so June of Last year i started purchasing from woodcandlewick.  I am guessing that wood candlewick sued them.  Now i am a complete fan for this company, there is some mumbo jumbo you have to put on your candles such as acknowledging lumetique technology as the wood wick provider, but that is it.  I know of another company in Virgina and i have to track down the information, i was going to purchase form them until i found woodcandlewick.  Besides pricing is better buy directly from the manufacture.

11 hours ago, Crafters_playhouse said:

I use wood wicks ONLY from woodcandlewick.  My local provider TheCandleMakersStore says that the source they previously purchased wood wicks from was sued so June of Last year i started purchasing from woodcandlewick.  I am guessing that wood candlewick sued them.  Now i am a complete fan for this company, there is some mumbo jumbo you have to put on your candles such as acknowledging lumetique technology as the wood wick provider, but that is it.  I know of another company in Virgina and i have to track down the information, i was going to purchase form them until i found woodcandlewick.  Besides pricing is better buy directly from the manufacture.

What "mumbo jumbo" do you have to write? Where must this bit of info be displayed? 

@jack be nimble

Here is the email i received

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent wooden wick purchase through Wood Wick Technologies, Inc.

For your convenience, please find a link to the "Click-Wrap Non-Exclusive Licensing Agreement" you agreed to with your wooden wick purchase.

As part of our ongoing support as your licensor, we wanted to remind you to please mark all product packaging with the following patent information:

Wooden wick technology licensed by Lumetique, Inc.

Pat. www.lumetique.com/patents

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions or comments - our customer service is happy to help! Thank you.

Kindly,

Customer Service

Well i would have to say that what lonestar is offering on their website isn't the same as woodcandlewick.com. It's obvious by the Sustainer Clips.  My Clips are totally different.  I have seen the clips on Lonestar on the packaging with Country Lane.  I order from Woodcandlewick I have been very happy with the wicks.  There is another manufacture out of Virigina, i am still searching through my notes for that website.  I will post once i get a hold of it.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to order a sample pack from wood wick technologies, when I did a search and found that candles made (Dayna Decker)  with these wicks have been recalled...twice.... due to a potential fire, burn & laceration hazard

What is the problem?

The candle flame can unexpectedly flare up and the glass container can crack, posing fire, burn and laceration hazards to consumers.

http://wemakeitsafer.com/DayNa-Decker-Botanika-Candles-Recall-611640-582024