Turkey Fryer or Presto Pot?

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

Yaaaay 

I just got my new one from eBay last week and last night I filled her up with my jar wax and additives and tonight I will melt it down and hopefully pour many candles way faster!  I can't wait 

my last one was used and left little flakes of I don't want to know what all in my wax despite scrubbing it throughly several times 

I am going to need another one for my melt formula because I can already tell this is going to way more efficient than the baby Presto! 

Yes! Hoping it all goes well and you are super efficient!

Finally got around to using my Turk and surf tonight and all I can say is how did I go this many years without it!!!

pouring was so quick once the wax melted- bye bye small batches at a time 

I lined up my pour pots with the FO in it according to batch size and used a small pour pot to get my ounces needed for the batch after taring out the FO and before I knew it I had 6 batches just waiting to cook to pour into jars - that would of taken me at least another 2 hours in the presto! I am so happy 

one thing I noticed is in the presto Is if I make a 3 pound batch I measure out 3 pounds dry soy and melt it with my additives and then I add my FO needed to a pour pot....once my wax is at temp I dump the presto Into the oil and wait to cool and it makes 6 jars plus a tester jar that has a touch less than the 7.5 I pour 

doing it with the Turk and surf I weigh my FO based off batch size and Tare it out and add melted wax- 3 pounds 

well I didn't get the same amount in jars - I got 6 sale jars but my tester was like half full- I thought 1 pound was 1 pound dry or melted.....thoughts? 

I hope this doesn't affect my burn

Well, I do things differently than you so I am not certain!

Did we tell you that you need to begin with the element covered with melted wax? As a result, my pot is never emptied. That said, I use the same wax for all my product since my business is all wax melts. I load it up based on what was left in it from my last pouring. Wax, additives and all. I can now look at level and know whether I can add 20, 25 or 30 pounds. I keep about 5 pounds in it at all times which then hardens over the element. 

Will you be using various formulas so must empty it from pouring to pouring?

At the risk of sounding like A-a broken record or B-someone who owns stock in Masterbuilt turkey fryers (I do not), I also could not do what I do without these! I would have to have like 8-10 Prestos lined up OR refill over and over all day which for me is weighing each wax and such and waiting for it to melt, since I am not simply "filling" up a pot. It is a HUGE time saver. I work full time (as do you) so I do not have wax as my full time job where I would expect to work a few hours each day. I have to do anything I can to save time. My day starts at 5 (I start at the Post Office on my way into work) and ends around 11 to run/own my wax business and have my 30 year career. I cram all my pouring into weekends and packaging orders each night from the time I walk in the door until past what I wish would be my bedtime!!

SO happy for you that you are having such success with this already!!!! 

On 3/4/2016 at 9:02 AM, justajesuschick said:

I also took a pic of the box both of my fryers came in. I was fortunate to get both new and still in their box. These are stored on the shelf with the zillion USPS boxes and millions of paper towels!

I will say that my husband builds race cars. He welds, has tons of materials and is one of those people that can look at the issue and craft just the right thing. If I had done this myself, I would have gone to Sherwin Williams and gotten their paint stirrers for 5 gallon pails. I had never gotten this before since I bought paint in gallons. The stirrers for 5 gallon pails MUCH taller and thicker than a regular paint stirrer. We painted a year or so ago and bought a few thousand dollars in materials so they know they owe me paint stirrers whenever I want them! I would have drilled a hole in the center and used those.

He went to the shop, grabbed some stainless scrap material, I heard a saw and a drill and he came back with this. I have happily used it for more than a year. Since it is also stainless, wax wipes right off of it.

Sure hope you can see as the pics are simply phone pics. 

IMG_20160305_083828424.jpg

IMG_20160305_083804576.jpg

IMG_20160305_083513233.jpg

I drilled a hole in a wood paint stick to use in a similar fashion.  Also, my digital thermometer has an alarm that goes off when the wax reaches a preset temp.  I set it at 183 or so as an alert that the wax is near 185.  I get busy trying to do too many things at once and needed something other than the candy thermometers.  More expensive but worth not having to throw out wax which I have had to do in the past. :(

Goldie

Well I basically just filled the pot with 30 pounds of wax and let it melt so I guess yes the element was covered.....

I will be using this only for my containers as my melts are a different formula (have to buy another! )

so rather than making my batches small in presto per FO I have all my wax- 30 pounds melted and ready to go - last night I made a 3 pound batch of dune grass so I added my FO for that batch in a pour pot and Tared it out to zero on a scale and used a small pour pot to put melted wax in so I could pour slowly not going over 3 pounds melted wax- this made a difference in how many jars I could fill- I got 6 sale jars and a tester jar from that batch only half full.....when I do this same batch in the presto I measure 3 pounds dry wax and melt it down and dump it in my pour pot with the FO And I get 6 sale jars and a full tester jar.....so there is a difference in volume as I did 6 various size batches last night and all come out short taking melted wax from fryer vs. making the batches separate in the presto 

and the heating temp I had to put at 200- and it was pretty accurate with my thermometer but there is no option for 185 which is what I usually heat to but I lost temp when pouring into a small pour pot and adding it to the FO- it went down to 160 so I may have to heat my wax higher in the fryer so my FO incorporates - it was cloudy when I stirred but it did eventually all mix 

new pot- new learning curve I just hope my burn and throw is the same - testers will be burned before these go on the shelf!

54 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Well I basically just filled the pot with 30 pounds of wax and let it melt so I guess yes the element was covered.....

I will be using this only for my containers as my melts are a different formula (have to buy another! )

so rather than making my batches small in presto per FO I have all my wax- 30 pounds melted and ready to go - last night I made a 3 pound batch of dune grass so I added my FO for that batch in a pour pot and Tared it out to zero on a scale and used a small pour pot to put melted wax in so I could pour slowly not going over 3 pounds melted wax- this made a difference in how many jars I could fill- I got 6 sale jars and a tester jar from that batch only half full.....when I do this same batch in the presto I measure 3 pounds dry wax and melt it down and dump it in my pour pot with the FO And I get 6 sale jars and a full tester jar.....so there is a difference in volume as I did 6 various size batches last night and all come out short taking melted wax from fryer vs. making the batches separate in the presto 

and the heating temp I had to put at 200- and it was pretty accurate with my thermometer but there is no option for 185 which is what I usually heat to but I lost temp when pouring into a small pour pot and adding it to the FO- it went down to 160 so I may have to heat my wax higher in the fryer so my FO incorporates - it was cloudy when I stirred but it did eventually all mix 

new pot- new learning curve I just hope my burn and throw is the same - testers will be burned before these go on the shelf!

Mine has a 175 and 200 temp, I use the 200 and then when it all melts and reaches temp which is usually about 203 according to my therm, I turn it down to 175.  I probably have only done about 15# at a time but my wax maintained a 180-190 temp throughout the pour process.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for cross posting, but I noticed this thread is more recent. I love these things but I'm in the process of downgrading from 5 to 2 turkey fryers. I'ved used these for melting gelatin but they are completely cleaned out and ready for your wax melting projects if anyone needs an extra or two :)

Auction 1: http://ebay.to/2hdRPTk

Auction 2: http://ebay.to/2hJxBhl

• 4 months later...

I am very interested in the turkey fryer idea. My only concern is if anyone knows if this would work if I am using blocks of Wax? I would be using paraffin wax in block form. Thank you in advance for any inside knowledge !!

14 hours ago, geodon99 said:

I am very interested in the turkey fryer idea. My only concern is if anyone knows if this would work if I am using blocks of Wax? I would be using paraffin wax in block form. Thank you in advance for any inside knowledge !!

Yes, it will. I have used chunked up blocks of paraffin in my turkey fryer many times, and it's worked beautifully.