Turkey Fryer or Presto Pot?

Would this fryer be similar to the old turkey fryer (which appears to be nonexistent now)? I read on one site that this is the same fryer, but was purchased by Bruce Foods. Just wondering if yours has a separate heating element.

http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/bruce-foods-2217401932-cajun-injector-electric-turkey-fryer.htm

http://www.turkey-fryers.com/etfv_turkey_fryer_kits.htm

mine looks like that, probably just a different model.  Mine is older but was never used.  Yes the heating element comes out for cleaning.

Edited by kandlekrazy

Ok I scrubbed and soaked mine

It was used but hardly used just smelled

Got it all dried and started filling it with wax to cover the element and I have floaties!!!! It's like grease floaties from a turkey- I am so beside myself right now that was a lot of wax to just cover the element

Wax doesn't smell but how am supposed to get these out without pitching all that wax and what's to say it won't happen again

that sucks.  Even tho mine was new I started with a small amount of wax just to be sure it was working properly before I put 15 # into it.  I did end up with a couple of cardboard floaties not sure where they came from since I cleaned the whole thing.  Luckily my husband was around to calm me when I fired it up it started to smoke a bit.  He said new heating element and sure enough it stopped within a minute.

That is GREAT! 

SUCH a time saver for me, too! I love filling them once and am done for a 12 hour day of pouring. Since I blend waxes, weighing and heating again and again was a time waste.

Congrats on the great find at such a great price!

Karen, do  you fill it almost full? or do you stick with the fill line which is approx 15#?

New to soy candle making, so new guy question here. Everywhere I read or every video I watch the gospel seems to be "double boiler" How exactly do these turkey fryers accomplish a safe wax melt? It seems to me, again being the new guy, that having the heating element directly contacting your wax is the complete opposite of the double boiler method? This confuses me.

I ask all this, because I plan on making candles as gifts and as a general hobby. Id like to make more than 1lb at a time because at this pace I can only make 2 candles per batch. TEDIOUS to say the least. So this turkey fryer idea seemed brilliant. Cant find any though! Well, affordable.

I then stumbled across something this: http://www.homebrewing.org/One-Weld-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Pot_p_1683.html 

What would be the difference between your Turkey cooker, and using this on a hot plate or electric stove top?

• 4 weeks later...

The turkey fryer uses a digitally controlled heating element. The read out tells you it is 200 degrees, whereas on a stove eye you would just need to use a thermometer with an alarm to tell you if the temp goes up. Otherwise, looks good to me. I've never had an issue with direct contact of the wax with the heating element (no scorching, bursting into flames, ect) and nothing indicates that the wax has been degraded by direct contact. I have filled mine past the fill line but that's because I have no plans to put a 20 pound turkey in my wax.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2015 at 10:21 AM, justajesuschick said:

Yes. Mine hold about 40 pounds. I fill, use and if I have not used all of the wax, I turn it off, put the lid on and heat back up and add more wax for next pouring.

I found this pic that I posted here a year or so ago. Shows scale. My stainless Presto holds 8 pounds, for reference. My whole business is wax melts. I would have to have a few of these if I made jar candles.

post-9853-0-63144200-1449847222_thumb.jp

Hi, I've spent the last few days researching turkey fryers but I'm at a loss. My little presto can no longer keep up with the demand and I want to purchase 2-3 turkey fryers but wasnt sure which one would work for melting wax. Can you help? I posted a link below of one of many that I've found to see if that would work. Thank you 

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20100809-Butterball-Oil-Free-Electric/dp/B002JM1ZN8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41pOkZgXRZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR136%2C160_&refRID=0AXV1R49S4YKH9NJ1D7B

Know I've posted this before but I tie a piece of panty hose over the spout on both turkey fryer and presto pots and it keeps all the trash out.  You do have to change it after awhile but it really keeps all the little bit of trash out that seems to be in wax.  

• Like 2

On 2/29/2016 at 8:39 PM, kandlekrazy said:

I got one, works perfectly and I'm loving it!!!

Did you get the same one posted above your comment? My little presto can't keep up with the orders and I wanted to look further before I settle for 3-4 prestos :)

ok I had to break down and buy another one 

is the Turk and surf correct I hope???

I found a new one and hit buy now- it looks like my other one but that one is so beyond cleaning I give up- tired of the flakes of turkey skin or whatever it is coming off that dam element 

never buy used in my opinion!

Ok good- this is new also I just don't remember the other one I bought being called a Turk and surf- but it was used....and more than once like they claimed 

judging off the pictures of the box on this one though it looks pretty much the same so I hope it does work because I don't make turkeys! Lol

My 2 are Turk and Surf models. The one shown in my pic in this thread. Mine are both stainless inside and out. Mine also has a digital readout. Some have dials. I prefer digital so I can be more precise. I use a probe thermometer along with it of course. My handy husband fashioned me a little hanger bar that it threads through so the the probe suspends in the wax. 

Thank goodness! 

That's a good idea about a hanger bar I was wondering how a thermometer was going to work in this thing- I use the glass candy ones generally and that will not work 

could you post a picture of how that gadget works?

31 minutes ago, moonshine said:

That's a good idea about a hanger bar I was wondering how a thermometer was going to work in this thing- I use the glass candy ones generally and that will not work 

could you post a picture of how that gadget works?

I also took a pic of the box both of my fryers came in. I was fortunate to get both new and still in their box. These are stored on the shelf with the zillion USPS boxes and millions of paper towels!

I will say that my husband builds race cars. He welds, has tons of materials and is one of those people that can look at the issue and craft just the right thing. If I had done this myself, I would have gone to Sherwin Williams and gotten their paint stirrers for 5 gallon pails. I had never gotten this before since I bought paint in gallons. The stirrers for 5 gallon pails MUCH taller and thicker than a regular paint stirrer. We painted a year or so ago and bought a few thousand dollars in materials so they know they owe me paint stirrers whenever I want them! I would have drilled a hole in the center and used those.

He went to the shop, grabbed some stainless scrap material, I heard a saw and a drill and he came back with this. I have happily used it for more than a year. Since it is also stainless, wax wipes right off of it.

Sure hope you can see as the pics are simply phone pics. 

IMG_20160305_083828424.jpg

IMG_20160305_083804576.jpg

IMG_20160305_083513233.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you on the fence about whether to but the turkey fryer all I can say is DO IT!  If you make a fair amount of melts/candles you will never look

back at those presto pots...well maybe for small batches with different wax.  I'm just tickled pink with the turkey fryer, so much faster and easier for me.

Yaaaay 

I just got my new one from eBay last week and last night I filled her up with my jar wax and additives and tonight I will melt it down and hopefully pour many candles way faster!  I can't wait 

my last one was used and left little flakes of I don't want to know what all in my wax despite scrubbing it throughly several times 

I am going to need another one for my melt formula because I can already tell this is going to way more efficient than the baby Presto! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

For those of you on the fence about whether to but the turkey fryer all I can say is DO IT!  If you make a fair amount of melts/candles you will never look

back at those presto pots...well maybe for small batches with different wax.  I'm just tickled pink with the turkey fryer, so much faster and easier for me.

I could not agree more! I can load 35 pounds at a time in them and since I blend my own wax at crazy percentages, I would not want to blend each 20 ounce batch each time out of multiple pots. Happy for you!!