Mottling wax

kdes7

I have used 2530 from Candle Wic and really like it. Looks great and has great cold and hot throw. I saw this wax at a shop in the mountains of NC and loved the appearance and characteristics. Below is the data sheet. 

2530H is a specialty blend of paraffin candle wax that promotes mottling in container candles.

2530H Recommendations: 2530HMottling wax blend for container candles.  Product Information Typical Properties Melting Point (ASTM D-87) 126-130ºF Oil Content (ASTM D-721) 0.5% Penetration @ 25ºC (D-1321) 18 dmm Additives Always use UV additives to prevent photodegradation. Use the fewest number of additives possible for mottling applications. Color Add color at 190 - 195 degrees F (some colors or dyes may require hotter temperature to eliminate sediment). Cool colored wax to180 - 185 degrees F. Use color that is soluble in wax to prevent undissolved sediment in the wax. Sediment can block the wax flow in the wick and result in a poor burning candle. Liquids, powders, blocks and buttons are typically soluble in waxes. Do not use pigment dyes, as they will clog the capillary action of the wick and are only intended to be used in over dipping. Fragrance Add fragrance just before pouring to avoid fragrance loss. Don't exceed 5% fragrance loads in your candles. Higher fragrance levels can cause sweating. Each fragrance has its own unique characteristics that may perform differently in waxes. Typically, heavier fragrances will have an adverse effect on your candle's burn. We suggest test burning your fragrance, wax and color combination to ensure you are getting an acceptable burn performance. You may need to adjust fragrance levels to achieve a desirable trade-off between fragrance and burn performance. Stearic and Vybar Add up to 4% triple pressed stearic or 2% Vybar 343 when using fragrances with poor solubility or percentages higher than 5%. Stearic will minimize migration without greatly reducing the mottling. Higher percentages of stearic will impede mottling. Pouring We suggest for candles that are free of air bubbles, the filled containers should be pre-heated or placed in a heating vessel. Improvement of the container's side and adhesion will also be achieved by this process. Allow candles to cool to ambient temperature. Do not force cool. Forced cooling will effect the mottling. This wax will require a top off, so it is important to save enough wax from the original pour to maintain color consistency. Wicking The low melting point will help enable the candle to burn down evenly. The soot or deposits near the rim of the jar will be avoided or minimized. Wick size will be affected by the finished candle's size and shape, as well as the types and amounts of color and fragrance used. The following wick series have all been found effective in 2530H: LX, RRD, CD, Cored & RRD series of wicks. Candlewic can make recommendations

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a slab of the 2530H from Candlewic to try and received it today. Fast shipping!

I'm excited to try it out. I also picked up a slab of their cbl 129. getting tired of my 4627 and the pain of working with that massive blob.

Thanks for the data sheet tom

• 1 year later...

What type of wick did you find worked best with this wax.

I also love the wax, but have two concerns.

1) Wick type... I can get various wicks to burn just fine, but lots of black soot/smoke. Maybe its mostly because its straight parrafin, but hoping with some good wicking to minimize it. so far, its a bit of a problem. I am using a jar that could be a single wick or a double wick. I like the double much better because it gets a better melt pool, plus flames stay smaller and it looks better. But, it makes jar hotter because there are 2 flames and when it does smoke or soot it hits the sides of jars more than a single wick in the middle. HOWEVER, if I use just one wick.. it has to be a much bigger wick. this ends up causing just as much smoke and soot, a huge wild flame eventually and gets equally as hot. So I am kind of torn right now. Any wicking suggestions for this wax would be great! Or, any suggestions in general with this wax to cut down on soot/smoke.

2) I also had an issue where after it burned half way down, it lost ALL its scent. Cold throw and hot throw. I've NEVER had that happen with a candle.Not sure if it burned too hot, or too long, or because the wax only holds roughly 5%. I dont know. But it worried me. And it was with trust ole Macintosh Apple which I always use as as a baseline because it performs well in EVERYTHING. This happen to anyone else? Tricks or tips?

Thanks