Container Maker for Soy?

• 1 year later...

I bet you are right and it's just soy oil, typically sold as vegetable oil.  Maybe somebody from AU has tried it.

Love some of their jars, especially the antique apothecary ones.

Edited by kandlekrazy

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

When I click on the link I don't see any pictures. Just the blurb about container maker.

The link is to a blog. I had to look at the products. The liquid is pretty dark, which made me think lecithin. 

• Like 1

I’m in Australia and I have used it. It looks and behaves like a vegetable oil, it’s essentially odourless, has a yellow color to it and has very similar viscosity to vegetable oil. I did read somewhere that it was possibly the same as universal soy additive in the United States. My guess is that it maybe canola or soy oil or a blend of the two. I have used straight soy oil and container maker and I didn’t notice much of a difference between the two. It does seem to help reduce the frosting issues and assists with smooth tops and container adhesion after pouring with GW464 soy wax but still doesn’t make the GW464 wax perfect. I also found that it had a negligible effect on scent throw with the fragrances I was using at the time I tried it, 4 week curing times had more effect on scent throw. I am currently testing it on a new wax blend that I have been working on for some time and it appears to have reduced the sooting with a longish wick to some extent.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2017 at 3:52 PM, inthedark said:

I’m in Australia and I have used it. It looks and behaves like a vegetable oil, it’s essentially odourless, has a yellow color to it and has very similar viscosity to vegetable oil. I did read somewhere that it was possibly the same as universal soy additive in the United States. My guess is that it maybe canola or soy oil or a blend of the two. I have used straight soy oil and container maker and I didn’t notice much of a difference between the two. It does seem to help reduce the frosting issues and assists with smooth tops and container adhesion after pouring with GW464 soy wax but still doesn’t make the GW464 wax perfect. I also found that it had a negligible effect on scent throw with the fragrances I was using at the time I tried it, 4 week curing times had more effect on scent throw. I am currently testing it on a new wax blend that I have been working on for some time and it appears to have reduced the sooting with a longish wick to some extent.

what if it is Soy Oil and USA mixed together eh?!! A pinch here, a splash there ... its not at all expensive , so has to be a cheap oil of some kind

Adding liquid soy oil to smooth the appearance of soy wax makes sense. Soy wax is partially hydrogenated soy oil. Over time soy wax dries out a LOT. The dry texture looks frosty. Plus adding a liquid oil to the wax changes how the wax crystals (grains) form as the molten wax cools. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2017 at 2:10 AM, TallTayl said:

Adding liquid soy oil to smooth the appearance of soy wax makes sense. Soy wax is partially hydrogenated soy oil. Over time soy wax dries out a LOT. The dry texture looks frosty. Plus adding a liquid oil to the wax changes how the wax crystals (grains) form as the molten wax cools. 

WOuld you class Coconut Oil as a liquid oil ... as it is liquid above a certain temp?

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Yes, at least coconut 76 or even fractionated coconut.

Sorry TT to be such a pest , I have a jar of basic health food coconut oil , which I assume is the 76. ( I googled 76 and thats the reg melt point?) .. so what you're saying basically is to use one that either doesn't solidify (fractionated) or one with a low melt point?  I bought some coconut wax , which I think is blended with soy. It is very soft . I am assuming the oil then would be a better alternative to the wax then. Is this correct?

• 2 years later...
On 5/15/2017 at 1:52 AM, inthedark said:

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. At what percentage did you dose the soy oil? 

• 6 months later...

ITS BASICALLY VEGATABLE OIL

THIS IS THE PRODUCT SAFETY INFORMATION.

Trade Name : Blended Vegetable Oil 

Chemical: Mixed Triglycerides

Classification : Edible Vegetable Fat

SECTlON 2 : COMPOSITION AND INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS 

Neutralized Bleached Deodorized Soyabean Oil, BOO1-22-7

Refined Bleached Deodorized Soyabean Oil Refined Bleached Deodorized Palm Olein (IV60) 8(m2-75-3 Mixed 54-28-4.119-13-1.59+)2-9

Tocopherol Dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoam) 63148-62-9 Proportion 84.9953% [4.9992% o.U)5o% o.00 o5%

• 4 months later...

I tried adding coconut oil to my soy candle wax at 185*. I was pleased to see the top of the candle surface was smooth. The only problem is I used too much. The wax was soft even after curing for two weeks. Coconut oil would be perfect if you could add the right amount.

An update about my findings with Container Maker that is available in Australia. I tried container maker for quite a few years and I conducted some testing where I made some candles with soy wax and 5% container maker and some without container maker using the same fragrances, fragrance loads and soy wax from the same batch. I found that after sitting for a while, the candles that were made with container maker had their fragrances altered and the scent throw reduced whilst the candles that were made without container maker, seemed to have minor alterations with the fragrance and a better scent throw. I then did some further testing adding the fragrance oil to pure container maker and the same fragrance oil and amount to RBD coconut oil and found that after 3 months, the scent from the fragrance oil and container maker smelt different and was considerably reduced in strength whereas the fragrance oil and RBD coconut oil did not change in fragrance or strength. In the end, I gave up on adding oils to waxes once I managed to try the Denali brand by Summit Wax in Australia (my guess is that it was sourced from Denali or Denalli in the USA but I could be wrong.) which was a blend of soy wax and coconut wax, it wasn’t perfect but was reliable and worked well for a soy wax blend. Now that Covid has disrupted everything, the Denali coconut/soy wax isn’t available and hasn’t been available for quite some time so I carried out extensive testing with IGI 6046A coconut/paraffin container wax and now I have candles that work exceptionally well and I probably won’t go back to soy wax again. As a side note, I used to get a strange sensation in my throat when I burnt soy wax candles and that sensation doesn’t occur when I burn the coconut/paraffin candles. I came across (a few years ago) the results of a test conducted by a German testing facility that compared the products of combustion in relation to unscented soy, unscented paraffin and unscented beeswax candles and found that the paraffin wax is the most preferable wax and that a lot of what is published on the internet about paraffin wax toxicity is incorrect.

• Like 2