Not so funny a story from my business...

ubure

Hi there,

please forgive me if I need to get something off my chest, because I'm highly excited (and not in the good way).

Really, most of my customers are sweet as sugar, but some...

A customer ordered a small amount of FO "Leather" from me, on the first day of my one-week vacation (not really vacation, I had to do so much office stuff, tax etc.). It was clearly announced in the shop that I would process any orders that arrived during my vacation right after the that week off. A few days after he had ordered he called me to ask when his order would arrive. I talked to him even though I didn't have to and explained once again all that what was clearly written on my homepage. One or two days after I've been back to business he emailed and called again, asking the same thing. I wrote back again, telling him that I was processing his order even though my shipping times are about 6-10 days from payment which is also clearly stated on my website. If you are in a hurry don't order or tell me.

He wrote back again, saying he found my products on Amazon (I don't sell on Amazon) and that he didn't study my site and that there are too many frauds on the internet and that he wasn't able to recognize each and every fraud. Such a nice guy.

Today I got an email from him again. He said he fetched the parcel and wanted to "try out" the FO right in the car (whatever that means) and that he immediately felt disgusted. He gave the bottle to his little daughter who "inhaled intensely" several times after which she threw up more than once and got a bad headache. His wife had to take her to hospital. He said he would send the bottle to the health authorities to get it tested because he doesn't know what I have send him but that he will know soon. He told me to send him what he has ordered ( :huh: ) otherwise he will turn to PayPal to get his money back.

I wrote him that my FO are highly concentrated fragrance chemicals meant for using in wax, not for inhaling (it is all clearly written on my website because I know how stupid people can be). Of course I told him I was sorry for his daughter (but honestly, how stupid can you be? Does he give her the floor cleaner bottle for inhaling as well because it smells so nicely?), that he could freely let the oil get tested (which I cannot imagine he will do - they don't do it for free) and that I have the MSDS for the oil. It was absolutely fresh, got it from the US just a few days before he ordered. It is a good oil, like all of my oils, from reputable suppliers.

I hate such things. Seems he's on a mission to get me. And I'm worried even though I know I did nothing wrong. Here in Germany you get sued for a missing word in your terms and conditions (I had to get it done by a lawyer, otherwise everybody has the right to send you a cease and desist letter by a lawyer which can cost you literally thousand of Euros - for a single missing word, or a sentence that isn't conform to German law).

I have refunded his 12 Euros ( about $ 15) because he will want it back anyway. And I'm hoping he will stop now.

It seems he wanted to make trouble anyway..all because he was too lazy to read anything on my website or for whatever reason.

I'm pissed and I don't want to be pissed. Just let me do my business and leave me alone. :mad2:

With people like that and the danger they pose for merchants like me I really have to think over what I am doing. Maybe I should sell to professionals only, or maybe I should begin breeding chicken. Much more peaceful.

Thanks for letting me rant and express my fear.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! You are such a sweet and honest person you don't deserve this.

This guy smells like a con artist to me. I would talk to my lawyer and have him send this guy a cease and desist letter! Seriously, it sounds to me like he is trying to milk you out of your hard earned money by threatening you. Since he has told you he let his daughter smell the vial deeply and repeatedly and for 'testing' seems to me you could use that info to threaten a lawsuit back on him for negligence and abuse. On top of that he is bad mouthing your company and product and you by stating you sent him the wrong fragrance.

This guy is a piece of work. He may just back off if your lawyer steps in and points out the obvious stupidity and libelous claims of his complaints.

Thanks Candybee for your advice! I had the same thought: he gets nauseous from sniffing and then gives the bottle to his daughter - what the hell? I guess I will have to wait if there will be another reaction from him. Maybe I'll ask a lawyer, have to sleep over this a night or two (it is the weekend so I won't reach anybody anyway).

I had to pull up all my inner strength not to let this ruin my day and I was successful! Mindfulness and meditation are worth their money and I'm glad I have these tools for my sanity... ;)

Just checked all the info I got fo this oil - comliant with each and every regulation imaginable, worldwide. The only thing he could make of it now is that the info on the bottle weren't sufficient (e.g. unfit for consumption, do not inhale....maybe I should add a large sheet of all the warnings imaginable.) I definitely have to change some things, as ridiculous as it seems.

Thanks for your support!

I have no idea what happens or maybe not. Guess it depends on how mad he is. I'm pretty sure he won't let the bottle get tested, but you never know. Thank God I have all the necessary paperwork. But as I said, if he really wants to get me he will. There is always something you do wrong that can cost you.

I've made the decision, in a way, to close the business if it gets to a court case or sth like that. It is just not worth it and who knows - maybe then I cannot afford to go on, financially.

Vicky, I know - my chicken are a bunch of ladies from hell! Only my poor old rooster is really sweet and nice and handsome. But working in the garden, with my chicken and bees gives me much more satisfaction and peace than anything else. Only it doesn't bring money or at least not enough.

Thanks for your support!

I've made the decision, in a way, to close the business if it gets to a court case or sth like that. It is just not worth it and who knows - maybe then I cannot afford to go on, financially.

Edited by puma52

Hi Ubure,

You love what you do...don't you dare let that SOB shut you down. You have done all that you can do such as listing warnings etc on your site and ALL of us know that none of us can cure stupid! (He very likely is lying about the whole episode anyhow) You did what I would have done...give him his money back and that is all you can do. As stated above I also believe that you are dealing with a con artist. I would just set and wait to see if he does anything else and if he threatens again...do some threatening back with the lawyer. Remember, most of your customers are wonderful and love your product. Don't let this idiot push you into making a decision that in the end will hurt you and your customers that adore your product! Keep on keeping on Ubure. You are a good and kind and caring person...you SHALL persevere!! :)

You are all so kind! Yes, I will wait and see. I really hope that was all from him but you never know.

It would really be an alternative not to sell to end consumers anymore. bI have some decent wholesale accounts and one really fantastic, prestigious project going on, much more money for much less work (than filling tiny bottles with FO, I mean) and with the prospect of more projects like this.Okay, I'll keep that in my mind for later. For now it is keep calm and carry on or as we in Germany say: wait and have a cup of tea (which is strange because that sounds rather British imo), which is quite a good idea, I think.

Okay, I had two really busy and terribly hectic days, my boys are both still ill (stomach flu) - I thought they were already fine again but today after my older son's soccer match he was white as a sheet ( no wonder, his circulatory system must be quite down still and in addition to this he is growing terribly fast, he is almost 1,80 m with only 14 years), we had to drive a long way home which was really curvy so at home he started vomiting again, little boy told me the same, couldn't finish his soccer training because he felt sick and nauseous. Great! Tomorrow is sunday and I have the choice between filling orders or cleaning the house (which is more than a mess) - maybe I'll do just nothing or only the most urgent things. I won't make the same mistake I did two years ago when I was gallopping through the days because of all the work and finally thought my heart would explode from beating ridiculously fast one night. Time out!

Have a nice sunday, my friends!

Guest OldGlory

I think you should write him an email, and tell him that reading his email made you vomit 5 times and that you are going to be forced to contact your attorney about it.

All joking aside, he sounds like a scammer to me.

I would flat out tell him HE endangered his daughter by letting her inhale a chemical- that he is completely stupid, irresponsible and needs to be held accountable for letting that happen and you are going to report it to the authorities!

See what that mother F has to say to that

I cannot believe people - how stupid are you.....here little girl breathe deep not once but several times

• Like 1

Believe me, I had all of this in my mind. But it would make things only worse because he is probably waiting for another reason to kick my ass. I guess he reacted that way because he was twice informed about my holiday and my shipping times when he couldn't wait to get the parcel. He was simply higly pissed.

I'm quite calm about it now. I'll see what happens and then I'll react on it.Talked to hubby about it (he hasn't been here the last two days) and he agreed to do something if he doesn't stop. I only hope I won't have to deal with this as I don't have the time, the money and the nerves to do so.

Hi Ubure,

You love what you do...don't you dare let that SOB shut you down. You have done all that you can do such as listing warnings etc on your site and ALL of us know that none of us can cure stupid! (He very likely is lying about the whole episode anyhow) You did what I would have done...give him his money back and that is all you can do. As stated above I also believe that you are dealing with a con artist. I would just set and wait to see if he does anything else and if he threatens again...do some threatening back with the lawyer. Remember, most of your customers are wonderful and love your product. Don't let this idiot push you into making a decision that in the end will hurt you and your customers that adore your product! Keep on keeping on Ubure. You are a good and kind and caring person...you SHALL persevere!! :)

I don't think he's a con artist, it was only an order worth 8 dollars (with shipping 15 dollars). Here in Germany we have tons of self-proclaimed guardians of the law - we are a country of informers. They mastered the art of complaining, searching for faults in others, always convinced that they are conned by everyone. No wonder. Our TV programs are full of such "warning - scam alarm!" -shows where they categorically advise people not to pay any bills by craftsmen etc. but to look for flubs instead so they won't have to pay anything. My dad was such a craftsman, he was a master builder with his own small company. Guess how often he had to go to court to get his hard eraned money which he vera often didn't get because of completely insane court decisions. My dad was a hard working, honest, funny man, despite all this. But in the end all of it was too much, he became ill, depressed, and deeply wounded emotionally. He literally worked to death. Died with only 64 years. I miss him a lot.

Internet is even worse: NOTHING but scammers. Mistrust and stupidity everywhere. I think I don't like the society we live in, but times have made us the way we are. It's not okay anyway and as I said, I don't like it.

Sorry to keep this thread going on but I just have to tell somebody. Today I have not been thinking about that issue but I have been thinking about my whole business thing. To be brutally honest: my love for what I am doing is showing less and less since a few years. Cutsomers like this add to the problem but are not exclusively the cause.

Yesterday I wrote that today I had the choice between cleaning the house and filling orders. I cleaned the house (or let's say part of it. It is a huge house.). And know what? I am so full of energy, I'm bursting with joy about my clean floors, the laundry and the dishes done, clean cupboards, clean working surfaces! It has been quite a while I had this feeling about candle makiing. Probably it is because of all those financial problems I had in the past because of my business (some big orders in which I had a lot of money and time and that didn't come about in the end), my health issues of the past (doctors telling me I had depressions and anxiety when in the end it was my thyroid and adrenal fatigue that was the cause - which I got diagnosed only a few months before - but hey, it is only my health, no big deal, you quacks!) that I feel not very much passion about my work. Also, I just don't seem to get both done properly: either household or candle business, never both. I need to read Flybaby again, I suppose! :D

I always tell myself that I am lucky to be my own chef, to be able to decide when I do my work and be at home with the kids. I have to admit that I just cannot imagine anymore working 9-5. Those last two days where I was only running around getting things done had a clear negative effect on my thyroid again. I don't experience this when I only do my household, our garden with all those fruit and vegetables to care for, my chicken coop, my bees.....it makes me so satisfied!

On the other hand we need the extra income from my business, it isn't as exhausting as a fulltime job would be (and I doubt I would be happier in such a job) and probably I only need more organization, stricter business times, not only for my customers but most important for myself (which means not checking emails in the weekend not to speak of answering them) and from time to time it is fun (should be more, I know, but I have to work with what I've got available). I certainly do my best when I work, only the joy has vanished somehow. Maybe I'm just weird. Feeling stuck, feeling trapped in a job I don't love and not being able to quit it.

Okay, this is rather a soliloquy as I feel I need to get this clear in my head. Can't make a quick decision anyway, maybe I really should start re-organizing everything, re-thinking work routines and make everythign more efficiently. The more I write the clearer it gets...okay, I'll start this business makeover this week, after the orders are filled and I got my sample candles out to some new wholesalers. Have to make a timetable, I guess.

Thanks for giving me space to get my head straight. I hope this is the solution or at least an improvement. or maybe I should just learn to be more frugal and be a housewife, gardener and chicken coop/ bee hive owner.

I don't think he's a con artist, it was only an order worth 8 dollars (with shipping 15 dollars). Here in Germany we have tons of self-proclaimed guardians of the law - we are a country of informers. They mastered the art of complaining, searching for faults in others, always convinced that they are conned by everyone. No wonder. Our TV programs are full of such "warning - scam alarm!" -shows where they categorically advise people not to pay any bills by craftsmen etc. but to look for flubs instead so they won't have to pay anything. My dad was such a craftsman, he was a master builder with his own small company. Guess how often he had to go to court to get his hard eraned money which he vera often didn't get because of completely insane court decisions. My dad was a hard working, honest, funny man, despite all this. But in the end all of it was too much, he became ill, depressed, and deeply wounded emotionally. He literally worked to death. Died with only 64 years. I miss him a lot.

Internet is even worse: NOTHING but scammers. Mistrust and stupidity everywhere. I think I don't like the society we live in, but times have made us the way we are. It's not okay anyway and as I said, I don't like it.

Wow I am so sorry about your Dad Ubure! Your family has been a family of honest and hard workers. I hear you on the society we live in..lots of bad people out there, but I believe, I am hopeful that there are more good people out there than bad. :) Hope this bad guy is gone out of your business now. Take care and keep us posted. :)

Reading through your thoughts Ubure makes me think you may just need a vacation. Even if its just for a week or two. A break would help you clear your thoughts and help release some of the pressure that's been building. Anyway, I think you need to clear your thoughts before making a decision about your business.

I went through a revamp of my soap company last year and believe me it really helped inspire and energize me and boost my morale. On top of that I have been going through a personal weight loss program I designed for me and lost 50 lbs this year. So with the new me and my revamped biz I feel pretty darn good and sales have picked up again almost as good as they were before the recession hit. I expect by the end of next year I will have had my best year since I started 10 yrs ago.

So wishing you happiness and some well deserved time to yourself to do whatever it takes to clear your thoughts and reenergize!! Good luck!!

Edited by Candybee

Thank you Candybee! I know you are right and I will have my time off after Xmas. At this time of the year it would be no very wise to close business for a while, but I know what you mean. Wished I could be so disciplined as you are with your weight loss - would do me some good as well

:yes: !

It's been a few days since my posting and I have felt energized since. I'm working for my business in the mornings, after the kids are off for school and I have taken the dog for a walk (which is a great beginning of the day for me as well - lots of refreshing air and scenery!), letting the chicken out and after my breakfast. But only after I have done some meditaiton or breating exercise (which is my cure-all). After lunch I bring my parcels to the post office (at least those haven't been able to finish until noon. This is where I need to start cooking lunch as kids return from school at 1 p.m. Then I do my housework. And every day I take some time for myself, sipping a cup of coffee, if possible in the sun, reading a bit etc.

Today I have filled some orders because there are so many at the moment and also because tomorrow I'll have some more time for my big, big, most important wholesale order which I have enough time for (it's a fantastic company!).

And you know what? I imagine some fantastic goal which I am working towards to: if I have enough money I will travel to Hawaii, meet Kelly Slater there and learn to surf :D . Doesn't matter if it ever happens, I can convince my mind of almost anything).

• 2 months later...

Dear folks,

some time has passed again and I have made a decision: my shop is closed now. I only do my wholesale stuff but no more candle supplies etc. And it IS such a relief. It never was something I did wholeheartedly and even though we could need the money it has to work some other way as well.

Maybe or even probably it is because of my grown aversion against all this B2C business that I have attracted all those nitpickers (but I clearly have to say that I have lovely customers as well!), and of course I have made mistakes, that's for sure. Especially during the last few weeks, with long periods of illness, accumulated orders from my business holidays and the closing of the shop there were mistakes and I am fully aware of this. I obviously didn't work as attentive as I should have and that is nothing I am proud of. But almost everyday I get reminders of how good my decision of closing was: just today I had to spend almost an hour corresponding with a customer who had ordered wax and some wicks from me. She ordered right before my business holidays (from 24th Dec to 18th Jan), and I told her that I wasn't sure if I got the wicks in time because I had to order them in Australia (this wick size isn't available in the USA) - last time it took about 3 months - and she said that was okay, she had a plan B. Then I got ill, and I had to postpone so many things and the wicks didn't arrive. She wrote me a reminder and I promised to send the wicks which was my first mistaked because I was sure she had ordered another size which I had received just at that time. I noticed my mistake but forgot to email her about it. That was another three weeks ago. Inacceptable, absolutely! I would be mad as well. Today I sent her a refund and apologized for it all and I meant it. She wrote back and told me that she had payed more for the wicks that I had refunded and that she wanted double the amount of money for being treated like shit and that she had to vomit - :huh: - when she saw my email and refund this morning.

I apologized again, told her that I could fully understand that she was really angry and that it was clearly my fault, but I also reminded her that I had her parcel shipped for a special price (she paid 8 bucks for shipping, I paid 21, so she got a discount of 13 Euros anyway - of course this discount wasn't for having to wait months for wicks) and that she didn't pay more for the wicks as I had sent her an invoice which clearly shows how much she had to pay for every item (we talk about € 14,23 which is about $ 13,- - I don't say that this is nothing, I know it is not nothing, but vomiting?).

Again she wrote me how she had to vomit and being treated like shit and what a nightmare all this was.....by then I really was fed up. I simply told her that I apologized again, that is was clearly my fault and that I really felt bad about it all, that I'd gladly offered her a discount code if my shop was still open but that I was aware that she wants money and that I was not willing to pay the extra amount. And, sorry, I had to ask how she would react if something really serious happened in her life. I didn't sell her a life-saving organ which she didn't receive.

That was probably not how I should have reacted but I am fed up with exaggerated stuff like this. Sure, it was her money, it was my fault, I apologized a hundred times, but I don't think I have to do anything in addition. You maybe see it differently and I accept that. I always appreciate your opinion because I appreciate you all very much. But I am so through with this shop and - I have to admit it - I feel a weight falling off my chest when not having to kiss everybody's ass. Puuuuh. Over. I guess she will write again but I won't answer anymore.

I guess it was the right thing to close my shop - for my AND my customers. It just wasn't for me. I really like making candles, developping new lines, working out new designs, but this daily selling and email answering and packing and shipping all those little and big parcels....the perfumer I work with on my two big wholesale orders (he designed the perfumes for the candles, really astonishing stuff and we worked together to get the scent workable for candles) once said: it is like keeping tiny fleas in a bag which is your saying "to catch a tiger by the tail" (even if this doesn't express it as nicely as the German saying but you are getting it), and it is true.

By the way: this guy with the leather FO never showed up again. Thank God.

Have a nice evening (it is 7.30 p.m. here)!

Edited by ubure

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'm happy to hear that your decision has made you happier about the situation. I have an almost 4 year old and whenever I'm going through my FO's, I never ever let her get too close because I know there's quite the chemicals in there. I hold the bottle cap in my hand and have her sniff without touching it and gives me her toddler seal of approval. As a first time mom, I'm still constantly surprised at the crazy things that happens to kids/what they get themselves into!

I'm sorry he was such a jerk! My husband and I were just talking about how it sucks when others have to suffer because of a person's negligent behavior.  I think you handled it really well!

Wow Ubure-- its interesting that both these customer's exagerated their complaints and both had to vomit! It sounded kind of funny about the vomit!!

Anyway I am glad you made the decision you had wanted and needed to make and was able to act on it. Sounds like things will start getting better for you! So congrats to you!