Presto Pot confusion

I recently bought 4 presto pots with the intention of being able to pour the same wax (scented and all) back into the pot when I have leftovers.  However, I noticed on a different topic in this forum that other people are not adding the FO and color into the presto pot.  Is it a bad idea to do it the way I want to do it (I have not started making candles since I bought the presto pots)?  I am using palm wax right now, but plan on switching to paraffin when I start using the pots.  Each pot would have its own FO and color.  Thanks for the help.​

Guest OldGlory

I don't understand the thought process behind using all those presto pots. I had someone making candles for me for about a year, and she used a different presto pot for each scent. Maybe you can explain it to me.

I use 1 presto pot, and I make about 500 container candles a month (average 7 oz) - and I make those candles in a 2 week span. I find it pretty easy to maximize the use of my time by keeping 1 presto pot heating wax all the time, and pouring the wax into different pouring pots. My process is pretty streamlined and adapted to the amount of rack space available for cooling, time for applying labels, packing, invoicing, etc.

Guest OldGlory

I have very little leftover wax. I weigh everything and know exactly how much wax and FO I need. If I'm going to make 15 of one scent in one size I figure how much wax that is, how much FO I'll need, and how much dye it takes. I keep it just that easy.

To keep my colors consistent I may pour an extra jar or 2 that I will sell the following month to the same client (I wholesale). One of my fragrances requires 20 drops of color to 65 oz of wax. I can cut that in half, fourths, or even down to one candle and still get the same color. Another fragrance requires 5 drops of dye for 65 oz wax. You can't cut that in half but you can cut it into multiples of fifths.

If I have a few ozs of leftover wax I pour it into a plastic deli type container and add it to the hot wax the next month. The containers last at least a year, even when being used over and over again.

You may get some other ideas from board members.

Forgot to add - I don't make layered candles.   :2cents:

Gracious, I do make layered pillars once in a while! I use a griddle to keep the pouring pots warm between pours.

Edited by OldGlory

When making many short runs of different scents in different configurations, I use two large prestos: one to melt cold wax, one to fill pour pots. Those pots heat fast, so there's little down time waiting. There's little to nothing left in the pour pots since, like OG, I weigh out exactly what I need for the containers being made. If any quantity is left, it gets poured into a silicone mold to re-melt later. Or I pour into a special candle to burn myself or to give to a few special customers that love the randomness.

When making longer runs, where pour pots would become a pain, I do color and scent in the presto. Any left over (usually none as all is measured by batch) goes into a silicone mold to be remelted later. If it's not needed, it can go right into the next run of similar scent candles.

When using the pot to scent and color, just wipe it out well with paper towels and I never have a problem with color or scent transfer.

Layered candles I can see needing several presto's depending on how many you are making. Or when I need to do that with short runs, pour pots on an electric griddle keep things just melty enough.

Any bigger batches in the 50lb jacket melters are usually uncolored and unscented, but I rarely have to make 50lbs of any one scent/color. I have seen some factories that do, and they just clean out the melter well and go on with their production day.

I typically only have two Presto Pots "live" at any given time, either when I've got lots of pouring to do and need to keep wax melting to transfer to pour pots---or if I have two different waxes I'm using (like pillars and containers, each uses a different wax).

I use a big turkey fryer and pour pots - Add color and fragrance in pour pots. But the one thing I've learned through this hobby is that there is no one right way. If you want to use multiple presto pots. Go for it. As you start experimenting you will develop your own style and methods!! That's what makes this hobby awesome!!!

• Like 1

I keep my pour pot on a double eye electric console on my bench, with a temp probe (the oven kind with the long silver wire that goes to a monitor) to make sure things don't get too hot. Large batches are much easier to handle than lots of small orders. You need a really good set of digital scales. Scales and heat guns are two of your best friends. I know people can eyeball but its better for me to weigh out my wax and fo with a little to spare. You just can't afford to have leftover wax and besides, after awhile you'll be drowning in the stuff.