Blending Scents Chart

Jcandleattic

I thought this chart might help anyone wanting to blend scents. I ran across it while trying to find blending ideas. It's been a HUGE help! 

Basically, anything right next to each other or opposite work and blend well together, but anything diagonal or not in the aforementioned parameters could be iffy, and probably not smell too good together. 

post-200-0-41698100-1442538296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Sorta like a color chart - that is great!!

Yep, but with scents. It has helped me with blending ideas a TON and some blends I would have never though of doing, I've done going off this chart and have some pretty good exclusive unique scents in my line. In fact, there are very few scents in my lineup that are not blends of some sort.. 

I do occasionally just wing it, but like this chart a lot too. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing Jcandleattic! This is awesome!!! Another excellent reason why people do not need to be afraid to blend. :)

It was your post in the tart thread that prompted this. I've wanted to post it for a while, but kept forgetting because I was never around a computer when I would think of it. Then I saw your post, was reminded and home, so posted it. 

I LOVE blending. LOVE IT. 

As I said above, I think I have 5-6 straight scents that I use, the rest are all blends of mine. :) 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Thank you for posting :) I've wanted to make my own blends, but I'm not brave enough! This chart gives me some new found hope! It's also neat to see how scents are categorized :)

It's easy. Some people start using qtips dipped in fragrance. One qtip for each fragrance, then combine the qtips in a jar.

I cut squares of paper towel or watercolor paper (from the art store) and add drops of fragrance. a quick cut of aluminum foil seals them and makes them easy to file away.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for this chart.

However, I don't understand clearly how to use it to mix scents together.

For exemple, the Chypre category ( purple color ) is composed of Woody, Mossy, Floral, Citrus and Animalic.

Does that mean that i can mix everything inside that category ( for exemple if I choose Woody + Citrus does that mean that Sandalwood and

Grapefruit will be a good mix ? )

Jcandleattic you said that everything next to each other or opposite will mix well, so for exemple, the fruity category is between Citrus and Floral.

Does that mean that Apple ( fruity) will mix well with Gardenia ( Floral) and Tangerine ( citrus ) ?

Opposite to the fruity category, i can see the Spicy and woody ( Blue color)

So if i follow what you said, Clove ( Spicy) can fit well with peach ( fruity ) ?

If someone can help me with some exemple, it would be great !!

Thank you !

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:16 AM, kihyo said:

Thank you for this chart.

However, I don't understand clearly how to use it to mix scents together.

For exemple, the Chypre category ( purple color ) is composed of Woody, Mossy, Floral, Citrus and Animalic.

Does that mean that i can mix everything inside that category ( for exemple if I choose Woody + Citrus does that mean that Sandalwood and

Grapefruit will be a good mix ? )

Jcandleattic you said that everything next to each other or opposite will mix well, so for exemple, the fruity category is between Citrus and Floral.

Does that mean that Apple ( fruity) will mix well with Gardenia ( Floral) and Tangerine ( citrus ) ?

Opposite to the fruity category, i can see the Spicy and woody ( Blue color)

So if i follow what you said, Clove ( Spicy) can fit well with peach ( fruity ) ?

If someone can help me with some exemple, it would be great !!

Thank you !

I would love the answer to this question too! I printed the wheel out but want to know exactly how to use it.

I found another wheel that i found found that i feel like is more user friendly, only because the Lebermuth has repeats that make is confusing to me. 

The one i attached works more like a traditional color wheel for me. 

Here is a link to additional scent charts that i  found. 

http://perfumersupplyhouse.com/2014/01/09/fragrance-creation-wheels-for-you/

Chemia-Fragrance-Wheel.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

I know nothing about this stuff. I'm here because I walked into an office that had some oil burning. I'm not even sure by what method. 

I can only describe the scent as "Spencer Gift store", and I loved it... Problem now is how do I find the scent or someone who can reproduce it off such a vague description?

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2015 at 8:05 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I thought this chart might help anyone wanting to blend scents. I ran across it while trying to find blending ideas. It's been a HUGE help! 

Basically, anything right next to each other or opposite work and blend well together, but anything diagonal or not in the aforementioned parameters could be iffy, and probably not smell too good together. 

post-200-0-41698100-1442538296_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Opposite means, directly across from, diagonal means, at an angle from. 

ok  so Peppermint Musk  is a no go, but Peppermint Lime might be good - is that right?  I'm a visual person, so just want to make sure I understand how to use this.