Having trouble with shrink wrap bands on soap

TAH

I'm having trouble with my shrink wrap bands for my soap. I decided to package the soaps with clear shrink wrap because well ...they are pretty and I didn't want to cover up the "soap art" with a wrapper. So now I'm shrink wrapping lots of soap today. I want the shrink wrap to cover all except the side ends because its cold process and needs to breathe. The shrink wrap either: melts a hole, shrinks unevenly and doesn't even cover the front and back, is too wrinkled and not as smooth as I had envisioned.

My soaps are approximately 31/2" x 31/2". My shrink wrap is approximately 4"x4". So is the shrink wrap too small for the job? Is it the quality of my shrink wrap? Maybe my technique is not good? I try not to blast too high of heat on it. 

Anybody have any advice for me? Thanks. 

Are you using a heat gun?

If so, if you are using it on high try the lower setting.

Sometimes it just take a lot of practice. .

I use the lower setting, and hold the excess wrapper in place as I am shrinking then hit it slightly with the heat gun and usually it will fold over the edges nicely

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

Yes if you are getting holes it can be because the heat gun is too hot, and possibly too close to the shrink wrap. I find it easier to start on the sides, I use shrink bags from Papermart that are thin enough that the bars do breath, I have bars that are two years old without any DOS or sweating. I find that the shrink wrap holds the scent. I always cure at least 5 to 6 weeks before wrapping. I think the bands might be a little more difficult. You might try holding the top surface down while you do the sides first. There have been a few youtube video's on how to do shrink wrap bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvLXZIgL21w

Those are the bags (in the video) that I use, but I don't cut the end off, I use a wrap around label that covers the one end, and I just tape it, some people use a heat sealer. These bags are way less expensive, about $6 for 500 bags. They sell out often, but always get them back in stock. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. I'm much better at this now after reading all the suggestions and practicing more. I now hold my hand on the soap as I'm doing this that way if its too hot I know it!