IGI 6006 vs. Pillar of Bliss Wax for tarts?

ginab65

Has anyone used either of these alone? Any opinions on which is the better wax blend? I'm new to tart making and am using Ecosoya PB currently at 10% scent load. I'm not impressed so far. It's okay but I'm kind of picky. LOL I'd appreciate any advice for a newbie. I know first thing....test, test, test. LOL

Thanks! ~ Gina 

• Like 1

Oh...one thing I noticed about Pillar of Bliss that I do love is it is granulated. Also, Nature's Garden just negotiated a 30% decrease in shipping with UPS. A 10 lb. bag of wax ships to me in VA for $11.95. That's not bad at all.  

Hi ginab65!

I've used both for tarts. I mixed a pillar wax with 6006 because it's pretty soft. I did actually pour a few with 6006 by itself and they were ok but I liked it better with some pillar wax to harden it. I liked the pillar of bliss ok, liking the fact that it was granulated, like you do. I also used KY's tart wax which is also granulated. It seems it's really similar to pillar of bliss but can't really remember for sure because I only use PofB once. It seems I liked both but now I use straight paraffin. If I was going to use 6006 again for tarts I would defiantly use at least 25% of some type of pillar wax. That would make a nice tart. I really liked KY's tart wax but, noses are so subjective. Some on here like it and some don't.

I currently use 4625 mixed with 4633 or 4630 at 50/50.

HTH

• Like 3

The 6006 always stuck to much for us and the PB threw good but not great and also frosted on occasion. We tried pillar of bliss and loved it. The granular for is so easy to use and it melts very well. We actually tracked down the manufacturer of it and bought several pallets.

Edited by Vicky_CO
editted out self promotion
  • Like 4

I've been testing NG'S pillar of bliss wax,and finding I like it pretty good. I've also tested Tennessee Candle's Celestial tart wax and it seems quite similar to pillar of bliss. Nice creamy looking tarts. Last Sunday I made some portion cups with POB using a sample of NG Christmas Cabin and put it in the melter at 11 a.m. today and almost 11 p.m. now and it's still throwing scent. Pumpkin apple butter from NG is a great throwing fo..really like that one! I think it's a decent wax, and easy to use, but I am still testing others as well. I like blending waxes. I ordered some 4630 and 4786, and looking forward to testing those:)

Edited by Shar
  • Like 2

I made a test batch of PoB with Cranberry FO. I couldn't wait to try it and warmed one the same day. The HT was really nice even before curing! If it's better cured, I'm really liking it

I put butterscotch Brulee melts (made with POB) on this morning, and still going strong after 9 hours. I just got in some more waxes today to play with. IGI 4625,4630,4786, and MC'S natural palm coconut votive. That should keep me busy for a while:)

• 2 weeks later...
I made a test batch of PoB with Cranberry FO. I couldn't wait to try it and warmed one the same day. The HT was really nice even before curing! If it's better cured, I'm really liking it

I put butterscotch Brulee melts (made with POB) on this morning, and still going strong after 9 hours. I just got in some more waxes today to play with. IGI 4625,4630,4786, and MC'S natural palm coconut votive. That should keep me busy for a while:)

I just ordered some 4630 too. I'm thinking I'll try mixing it with the Pillar of Bliss and Ecosoya's PB. Not sure what ratio to start with but hopefully they will go well together.

• 1 month later...

I tried a couple of blends from all soy to para-soy and all paraffin, and now very pleased with 4625 and 4630 at 50/50 for my clams. I use 10% FO.

I also did NG's Pillar of Bliss with 4625  at 60/30. It made nice tarts too. 

I do have a question though. What's best for molded tarts? Should I use straight 4630 at 6% that it calls for?

I have heard great reviews about mixing 4630/4625.  I'm using 4625/4627(comfort).  I have been mixing 50/50.  I have also tried 60/40.  Both have produced great results. I am not using molds.  I believe 4630 holds 10%.  4625 holds 6%.  If you mix them, you will get a nice tart that holds more than 6%.  I know 4625 is a pillar blend, but mixing that with a "GOOD" container wax will produce great results.  

• Like 2

I tried a couple of blends from all soy to para-soy and all paraffin, and now very pleased with 4625 and 4630 at 50/50 for my clams. I use 10% FO.

I do have a question though. What's best for molded tarts? Should I use straight 4630 at 6% that it calls for?

I think with 4630 you can use up to 10% fo load, but that wax slices like butter so may be too soft for your molded tarts. I do love that wax though, it's my favorite so far, and I'm thinking if you add some stearic acid at 2 or 3 T. Per lb. Wax it could work. Maybe try a small amount and experiment. I think many probably use a votive or pillar type wax for molded tarts so they unmold with ease.

• Like 2

I like 4625 alone for molded tarts and I also like it mixed with 4630 for molded tarts. I don't think 4630 would be good in a mold by itself. I prefer a harder wax when I use molds. I don't like for the tart to rub off on the bag. For some reason that drives me crazy! LOL! 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
On September 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Shar said:
On September 11, 2015 at 7:52 PM, ginab65 said:

I know this is an old thread but who is MC - natural coconut votive wax ?? Did you ever test it -if so, what did you think of it ? 

• Like 2

Natural coconut palm votive wax is from Millcreek. Fragrance load on this particular wax is 5-8%. It is more expensive. I used it for blending with 4786 and 4630. It is granulated, so easy  to use. I liked it OK, but I prefer a parasoy like NG's pillar of bliss mixed with 4630, and also ecosoya pb mixed with 4630. These need curing a couple weeks for better throw. Many recommend 4630/4625, which is all pariffin..doesn't have to cure long. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

how long do you let pillar of bliss cure for?? ive never used it, i have been using Ecosoya Pillar Blend with Fruit Loops FO from The Flaming Candle and its been 4 days and its not as strong as it was the first day in the clamshell. What am i doing wrong when i feel like the scent decreases the longer i let them cure in the plastic clamshells?? 

2 hours ago, dyrenas2019 said:

how long do you let pillar of bliss cure for?? ive never used it, i have been using Ecosoya Pillar Blend with Fruit Loops FO from The Flaming Candle and its been 4 days and its not as strong as it was the first day in the clamshell. What am i doing wrong when i feel like the scent decreases the longer i let them cure in the plastic clamshells?? 

Wish I could help you but I've never used soy on it's on. I would say at least a week or two but I can't be sure.