wanna be CP soap maker

Unique candles

Hi, everyone, I make glass glow palm wax container candles, feather palm wax melts and melt and pour soap, want to start makng cp soap, however, I have been reading tons of blogs,watching youtube, and material and have a question I can not find the answer too, how do you clean your glass or stainless steel container after using the lye solutions?

I don't use glass as it etches and, over time, will shatter. I also don't use stainless steel. Many are coated with steel, but actually an alloy.

What i DO use is flexi plastic containers like rubbermade, or plastic pails with lids. When dissolving the caustic i lightly cover to prevent evaporation. After pouring the solution into the oils i just rinse the container and it's ready for the next batch.

• Like 1

Same here. Durable plastic container. I have a large plastic pitcher I use to masterbatch lye water in so I can put it in my fridge to cool down to room temp. I measure the lye crystals in one of those large plastic cups I got for free from Kentucky Fried Chicken. I knew it was a good idea to save those free give away drink cups from fast food restaurants. When I am done with the containers I rinse in water and then give them a quick bath in warm soapy water.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I haven't made soap in years, but I read a lot of books about soapmaking before I started, and they all suggested that the tools I use for soapmaking be dedicated to the craft. I also used heavy plastic containers, and wrote on all of them in durable marker "USED FOR SOAPMAKING" on the outside. That way I wouldn't be tempted to use them for anything else. That includes all plastic spoons, my stick blender, etc.

You will want to have a full roll of paper towels on hand, gloves, goggles, and make sure you won't be interrupted.

If Bittercreek North still has it, their tutorial is very thorough.

Good luck!  :bliss:

omg thank you all so very much, I knew this was the right place, I saw some nice thick plastic container with handles at the dollar tree, whenever I start will probably mix my lye outside to cool on my side porch and bring it in  after it cools and add it to the oils, thanks a lot. I am starting now to get my equipment together I just need more containers and spatulars,

Dollar Tree, Walmart, and Goodwill are your new best friends! Get all my soaping utensils, bowls, measuring cups, spoons, etc. from all these stores.

But do invest in a good, accurate scale. Get one that measures in pounds, ounces, and grams. I've been using an Escali scale ($29) for years. I just recently got a larger professional scale but its still an Escali.

• Like 2

Yep, exact same thing as Candybee- 90% of most of my soaping utensil supplies are from DT, WM, and GW!! LOL 

My scale is a KD-8000, and my stick blenders are good quality. I have a quisinart, kenmore and an oster.

Molds are anything from the 3 places mentioned above or actual soap suppliers.  

I mix my lye in a big 3 gallon HDPE bucket then when it's cool I transfer to a very clean liquid detergent container because I masterbatch my lye. 

Be careful with YouTube videos. Even if they claim to be "tutorials" they can show unsafe habits- i.e., no goggles, pets/kids in the room, etc..

One thing you will want to be sure to do is use ALL safety precautions. Goggles are an absolute MUST if you value your eyesight at all, gloves for most are a requirement, and can and will help avoid lye burns on the skin. 

Also a little common sense will go a LONG way. Just remember don't be scared of lye, but do give it a healthy respect and you should be fine. 

This is a great place for questions. We were all new at once. :) 

Welcome to yet another addiction! 

• Like 2

Another piece of safety equipment I use is my respirator. The vapors from the lye mixing in the water can spread out in the immediate area and you can't really see it. But if you are not protecting your lungs you can breathe it in and it can burn your lungs and or make you cough. Ask me how I know! So I always use my respirator when making soap.

Also, loose, old clothes are good to use. Make sure you cover arms, legs, feet, etc. so if you have a lye accident your body is covered. I use old T-shirts, sweatpants, socks, sneakers, even an old thin worn out sweater to cover up my arms.

Make sure those clothes can be removed QUICKLY in case of a spill. No loose clothing. No sleeves or gloves that can knock over containers or catch on tools.

As for mixing lye, treat it like hot deep fry oil. Would you walk around carrying a pitcher hot fry oil from inside to outside then back inside? Better to mix your lye solution in a sink where if it spills it is contained versus schlepping it out doors (where wind can carry the lye beads) and risk a trip hazard. I have watched too many youtube 'experts" mix their lye beads as the video recorded for eternity the lye beads blowing all over the place uncontained.

I rinse everything in the sink then run a sink full of Dawn dishwashing liquid and clean completely. My lab and sink is in the basement and  does not mix with kitchen utensils. Never use food prep tools and soap making tools together. Actually, I leave everything dumped in the sink for a couple of days and then rinse out and clean. I wear sandals all the time and sometimes a bead of lye or a drop of soap can hit my exposed feet. Ouch, lye burns are different than any other kind of burn. The number one rule is never add liquid to lye and the number two rule is to never use aluminum.

• 4 months later...

ok something went wrong, anyway, far left blk/whit is fifity shades, middle is lovespell and 10x orange, all smell very good, I have about 10 more but need to learn to upload again, I learned how to do cp soap from this forum an reading reading and reading and i had purchase soapmaker3 which is very helpful in formulating my soap recipes thanks everyone for your help.

• 4 weeks later...