How much soap do you make in a year?

Candybee

On a whim I sat down and counted the paperwork I collect for each batch of soap. I made 165 batches of soap last year. At 18 bars per batch that comes out to 3,024 bars of soap! I was astonished at how much soap I actually make in a year. More surprising is how much I didn't make because I could not work faster or had all my ingredients when needed.

I have just started masterbatching this month so I can ramp up my production.

But I had no idea how much soap I made until I actually sat down and counted it all. Man is that a lot of soap and I am just a very small soap company!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3

I make at least 52 batches of soap year, sometimes more. I would have to gather all my paperwork to be certain. I try to do at least a batch a week. Sometimes I do up to 7 batches a week, but sometimes I can go 2 weeks to a month of not making anything. But each batch could be a different total of bars.

Most of my batches are 2lbs each, and in a small loaf mold with only 9 bars. Sometimes I sneak in a 1lber and sometimes I do a 5lb slab, and sometimes a 3lb loaf also. It all varies. LOL 

We just bought the shelving to try and get more organized in my basement and this exact task of updating my SM3 and know EXACTLY how much I have and how much I've made is on the list of things to do before the end of the year. 

I say it every year, but this year I actually have an outlined plan with goals and deadlines, etc., so it *might* actually get done this time. LOL 

• Like 1

Hmmmm it peaks in early summer, but the count was 1,500 bars made in June. I make a hundred or two bars a week through October (when i cut off wholesale order production for the year), then A couple hundred a month from January through May.

I don't love pre-master batching lye solution, but i do master measure pails of oils. I use hot lye solution to melt cooled off, room temp oils. I can knock out 60 lbs of various soap scents in less than an hour this way.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Hmmmm it peaks in early summer, but the count was 1,500 bars made in June. I make a hundred or two bars a week through October (when i cut off wholesale order production for the year), then A couple hundred a month from January through May.

I don't love pre-master batching lye solution, but i do master measure pails of oils. I use hot lye solution to melt cooled off, room temp oils. I can knock out 60 lbs of various soap scents in less than an hour this way.

Holy cow that's a lot of soap in an hour! I don't think I ever made a 2 or 3 lb batch in under 2 hours, lol.

Volume gets easy with 50& 100 bar blocks :) though i prefer the 50 bar/20 lb over the double long! They get heavy until split into logs.

Back when i only had short log molds (10 to 17 inch) it was nearly impossible to produce in volume.

Wow TT! That is a lot of soap! But you are right about masterbatching and using large molds. I am finding that now that I have enough of the same size molds I can knock out 72 bars in under 2 hrs now. I am also finding I am doing less washing up after cause I am using the same equipment for all the molds.

I don't know if I will ever have 50 or 100 bar molds. They do sound awfully heavy. But it would be nice to knock out a couple hundred bars in one 2 hr session. Whew! Now that would be production!!

Edited by Candybee